It’s official…

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
I’m in a funk. A big one that I haven’t really felt before. I haven’t been playing much if at all. Band is currently not doing anything which I thought would make me want to explore tones and things outside our genre. I’ve got plenty of great gear to do that. I’ve been wanting to do that for awhile pretty badly. I even took my Divided by 13 FTR37 and Matchless Phoenix out to the rehearsal space. Got everything dialed in at some healthy volumes with a small pedalboard. It sounded glorious. I half heartedly played for maybe 15 minutes and then just sat there. I’ve been wanting to do this for months. Nothing.

I had my acoustic set up. Played a dozen or so other ones at the store only to once again feel mine sounded best despite being not being the most comfortable to play. Hell, I even played a 1957 Gibson SJ-200.

To make matters worse, I don’t even feel or find much enjoyment listening to anything. I’ve tried the stuff I always love, different things I don’t usually listen to. Blah.

I’d feel better about the whole situation if I were busy musically but I’ve barely played the last few months.

Follow your heart. If the heart isn't in it then enjoy a break and get back at it later. You may currently be overreached in your musical journey.

I heard a quote recently that really resonated with me... "The struggles we endure today will be the good ol' days we laugh about tomorrow"

I really have no answers for you on this one, but I’m in your corner on it. I also feel in a bit of transition, so I know how it feels when what you’ve always done isn’t doing it. My gut tells me it’s a healthy process of freeing space for the next adventure. Roll with it.

And keep us posted! You might discover some insights we can all benefit from…

I’ve been there lately, too… just not feeling the fire. Many rounds of winter illnesses (thanks much to kids day care), and the lack of sunlight in the evening turned me into a daily grind machine, in a negative way.

That being said, spring is here, and I’m feeling changes.

Best thing I’ve found to get out of a funk, musically, is to find some project to work on that creates inspiration. It’ll come, just keep your eyes open!

Sucks, man. But look at it like this--don't let yourself feel guilty about not living up to what you thought things would be, or even worse what you think others expect you to be. Just do your thing, feel free to change your mind whenever, and enjoy wherever you really want to be.

I think I need to set up some kind of semi structured goals to accomplish something. Maybe I’ll try to make some clips or videos of some of my gear. I’m always overly self conscious about that stuff though. It’s weird, I have no issues playing live or in the studio but if I go to do some demo of some sort, I get all clammy.

I’m in a funk. A big one that I haven’t really felt before. I haven’t been playing much if at all. Band is currently not doing anything which I thought would make me want to explore tones and things outside our genre. I’ve got plenty of great gear to do that. I’ve been wanting to do that for awhile pretty badly. I even took my Divided by 13 FTR37 and Matchless Phoenix out to the rehearsal space. Got everything dialed in at some healthy volumes with a small pedalboard. It sounded glorious. I half heartedly played for maybe 15 minutes and then just sat there. I’ve been wanting to do this for months. Nothing.

I had my acoustic set up. Played a dozen or so other ones at the store only to once again feel mine sounded best despite being not being the most comfortable to play. Hell, I even played a 1957 Gibson SJ-200.

To make matters worse, I don’t even feel or find much enjoyment listening to anything. I’ve tried the stuff I always love, different things I don’t usually listen to. Blah.

I’d feel better about the whole situation if I were busy musically but I’ve barely played the last few months.
I am right there with you on this one. I have been in this for almost 3 years now, maybe longer. The only thing that has motivated me in this time is when I did some work on a tele of mine and when I bought my Kemper and FM9. I was excited about those things and enjoyed the time I spent with them. It didn't last. The gear is collecting dust and has been for a while.

I went through this one other time in my past. I got deep into computers at that time and it actually started me off in the career I am in today. That was a good thing but when I started playing again I couldn't believe how much stress it relived and couldn't really figure out how I let myself stop doing it. Well, here I am again and I don't have another passion to fill the void.
I always need other people to kick start my self psychologically when I hit the wall. I hope it will be that easy for you.
This is a big thing for me. I was hoping I was going to be playing some fill in gigs with a band. I have not heard anything from them on it so I am not hopeful that is going to happen. I really got excited about it when I got the call about doing it.

From the level of excitement that I felt when I thought I was going to be doing the fill in gigs, I really feel that I need to find some others to play with. That is probably the best way to get out of this for me. That is what got me out of it years ago. Someone approached me about playing in a group. When that group ended another one was talking to me about playing with them and I went that direction. That got me back into things.

I had an idea come to me a few weeks ago but I didn't think there was a way to make it happen so I have been setting on it. I am going to let it out here now to see if there is a way to make this happen. Maybe with a combined brain power we can do it.

I thought about having video calls with others that are in the same boat as some here, those that need a connection to others to find motivation. One thing I would love to be able to do as part of this is to have a way to play and be heard. I think if only one person plays at a time you will be able to hear it. I think I can find a way to connect one of my devices to be able to play into the computer and have it come across. These calls can be all sorts of discussions like theory, technique, gear and so on. I can start a new thread for this if you all think it can get legs. Spend some time with like minded people that you see on here.

I know your dilemma. I‘ve been in the same funk since the Mrs retired four years ago. Just totally changed the flow of my day. I rarely play. I used to when the house was empty during the day. I don’t listen to much music. Only walking the dog or when I’m driving. I’ve got a stack of close to a hundred concert dvds that I haven’t watched. I’ve even come to grips with the fact I’m just not as active , musically, as I used to be. Been though this before, about 20 years ago. Hell, I even have 5 up for sale right now.

I know your dilemma. I‘ve been in the same funk since the Mrs retired four years ago. Just totally changed the flow of my day. I rarely play. I used to when the house was empty during the day. I don’t listen to much music. Only walking the dog or when I’m driving. I’ve got a stack of close to a hundred concert dvds that I haven’t watched. I’ve even come to grips with the fact I’m just not as active , musically, as I used to be. Been though this before, about 20 years ago. Hell, I even have 5 up for sale right now.

I hope it comes back for you. Covid squashed my playing a lot, my wife and I both work from home so she is ALWAYS home. I cant let it rip often and what kills it the most for me is scheduling play time, takes the fun out of it.

I thought I was the only one that was affected by my wife being home. She works from home a couple of days a week every other week. She is here every evening and weekend. She doesn't really have any hobbies that get her out of the house, except the occasional shopping trip, which just blows money and adds more stuff to the house we don't really need. Thankfully she doesn't do it very often and she is a frugal shopper. She is always telling me to do what I want. She tells me to play when I want and to get out on my motorcycle and ride. For whatever reason when she is here I feel like I can't really do those things. I am not sure why but it does deter me.

I have no pressure from being in a band anymore. Life is anything far from normal for me atm. I don’t know if outside contributing factors are making my life more difficult right now.

I had an idea come to me a few weeks ago but I didn't think there was a way to make it happen so I have been setting on it. I am going to let it out here now to see if there is a way to make this happen. Maybe with a combined brain power we can do it.

I thought about having video calls with others that are in the same boat as some here, those that need a connection to others to find motivation. One thing I would love to be able to do as part of this is to have a way to play and be heard. I think if only one person plays at a time you will be able to hear it. I think I can find a way to connect one of my devices to be able to play into the computer and have it come across. These calls can be all sorts of discussions like theory, technique, gear and so on. I can start a new thread for this if you all think it can get legs. Spend some time with like minded people that you see on here.

I think this is a brilliant idea. I for one would love be to participate with a few here in a video chat. It could the the one thing I might need to get me over this stupid unheeded road block in my life.

My husband retired a long time ago when his parents got sick. I hate when I get home from work and he wants me to come and sit with him and talk. I feel I have to because I feel guilty about him being by himself all day long. I tell him 1/2 hr chat is all I can do for now because I have to practice. Some evenings we sit, talk and watch tv and I don’t even make it to playing my guitar. I feel even worse. The dreaded guilt about not spending enough time with him or my guitars. It’s a conundrum that I am having struggles with. He has no hobbies. He has tv but what else can he do with a half cast on his leg and foot? Two years of this medical crap so far and one more surgery in September.

I honestly think of the time I have dedicated to my craft, the family events I have missed because of gigs and practicing for them. I can’t and won’t give up but I feel like I am standing in quick sand and need a helping hand to get out of this mess.

I am willing to hook up with whomever! Let this grow into something that could be the kick in the hinny we all need. PM me if you would like to chat with me. I am very easy to get along with and I will do whatever it takes to help any fellow guitar player out. It doesn’t matter what it is.

Last edited:
I hope it comes back for you. Covid squashed my playing a lot, my wife and I both work from home so she is ALWAYS home. I cant let it rip often and what kills it the most for me is scheduling play time, takes the fun out of it.

I thought I was the only one that was affected by my wife being home. She works from home a couple of days a week every other week. She is here every evening and weekend. She doesn't really have any hobbies that get her out of the house, except the occasional shopping trip, which just blows money and adds more stuff to the house we don't really need. Thankfully she doesn't do it very often and she is a frugal shopper. She is always telling me to do what I want. She tells me to play when I want and to get out on my motorcycle and ride. For whatever reason when she is here I feel like I can't really do those things. I am not sure why but it does deter me.

Totally get that. Same here. She says I can play whenever she’s not working. But really, she doesn’t want to hear me cranking away at some annoying volume. Frankly, I’m certain my dog doesn’t want to either. He doesn’t like anything loud. So I’ve got the band rehearsal space for that, but of course need the motivation to drive over there.

I use my phone's voice memo app to record little ideas I come up with routinely, and I develop an idea log that goes back for years. Sometimes I'll break that out and listen to snippets that I've forgotten about. Maybe one pulls out another idea. Lots of ways to find inspiration, but don't force it. Go somewhere you've never been. Break the mold. Find a therapist. Read. Find a spark. Good luck, man.

Last edited:
I think we all know the feeling. I believe it is part of the ebb and flow of life. There are nights when as I’m going to bed, I look at my favourite portrait and say “what am I doing”.

I try not to dwell on it, or over think it. For me, the best thing to do is mix things up. It’s hard to get stuck in a rut if I do something different.

Musically, it warmed up enough that this month I started sitting in front of my house and playing acoustic every Sunday morning. No set, no agenda, just me, a tiny stool and a guitar. Dogs always notice. I can see people trying to decide if they should notice or not: perhaps a testament to the quality of my playing. But...I don’t really care. I do miss having someone listening.

Tomorrow I’m going to try and help a friend’s son get out of a rut. I gave him a guitar a while ago and he’s afraid he isn’t progressing. I’m not qualified to teach, but I can talk to him about what I did.

Get Outside And Get Some Sunlight. Put Your Bare Feet In Some Dirt Or Grass And Get Yourself Recharged (Literally). Disconnect From Everything That Is Going On In The World And Don't Worry About Playing/Gear Or Anything. The Pendulum Will Always Swing Back Around. Trying To Force Things Usually Doesn't Work Or Work As Well As We Would Like. Let It Be...When Things Are Right It Will Happen.

This Has Always Worked For Me. I Hope It Helps You Also. :)

Get Outside And Get Some Sunlight. Put Your Bare Feet In Some Dirt Or Grass And Get Yourself Recharged (Literally). Disconnect From Everything That Is Going On In The World And Don't Worry About Playing/Gear Or Anything. The Pendulum Will Always Swing Back Around. Trying To Force Things Usually Doesn't Work Or Work As Well As We Would Like. Let It Be...When Things Are Right It Will Happen.

This Has Always Worked For Me. I Hope It Helps You Also. :)
This is good advice. I know that once I started getting outside more I felt a difference. I need to keep reminding myself to do this.

Back