Issue with TonePros bridge on Fredrik Akesson model

oblique63

So I just got a new Fredrik Akesson SE, and gave it a good setup with a fresh set of 10-46 gauge strings. Though, while I was setting the intonation for the low E, the saddle screw somehow popped out and now the saddle doesn't stay in place anymore. I noticed the screw has a small plastic washer and a spring (in that order) padding it's contact with the actual bridge hardware; is that the right configuration, or did something fall out when it popped? I would try to check against the other saddles, but those are all pretty stable and I don't want to mess things up further. Since there isn't a place for the screw to lock-in to on the other side of the saddle cavity, that spring seems to be pushing the screw enough to throw off the intonation when playing. I would just remove the spring and try it that way, but I'd prefer to have it how it was originally.

Anybody else deal with something like that on this type of bridge?

Can we get a photo? I am confused by the presence of springs. I don't think the stock PRS bridge has them - see below. Maybe consider pulling that TonePros bridge and putting the stock bridge back?

i would also suggest contacting TonePros directly for tech support.

SEFA_bridge.jpg

So I just got a new Fredrik Akesson SE, and gave it a good setup with a fresh set of 10-46 gauge strings. Though, while I was setting the intonation for the low E, the saddle screw somehow popped out and now the saddle doesn't stay in place anymore. I noticed the screw has a small plastic washer and a spring (in that order) padding it's contact with the actual bridge hardware; is that the right configuration, or did something fall out when it popped? I would try to check against the other saddles, but those are all pretty stable and I don't want to mess things up further. Since there isn't a place for the screw to lock-in to on the other side of the saddle cavity, that spring seems to be pushing the screw enough to throw off the intonation when playing. I would just remove the spring and try it that way, but I'd prefer to have it how it was originally.

Anybody else deal with something like that on this type of bridge?

Interesting, two new Fredik Akesson threads in one day! :)

Not to hijack your thread, but could you glance over at my thread and tell me if you have the same issue with your Fredrik model?
http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?2244-Is-this-normal-or-should-I-return-this-guitar

And if there are any pictures I can take of my model's bridge that may help you please let me know and I'll gladly take them!!

I'll be sure to snap some pictures when I get home tonight, but the bridge is the stock one. The spring that came lose on mines wasn't visible until the whole saddle screw came off, so it looked exactly the same as that picture up there, only that now the screw head is poking out slightly, and is loose of course. I'm at work right now, so I can't show the situation at the moment, but I did make this crude drawing in paint to help illustrate what's going on:
bBYbJ.jpg

So the yellow is the screw and the blue is the screw head, but the spring and washer seemed to be located in the red area, inside the black outlines of that part of the bridge. Since there's nothing to secure the end of the screw, it seems weird to me that there was a spring up top.... but alas, that's how it seems to work, cause the screw did literally pop out with some force when I tried pushing the saddle back too far. Odd design...

@JCar: thanks for the offer, though I wouldn't want others accidentally messing up their bridges because of me, as the only question I have is about that tiny little inner mechanism, lol. And as for your thread, no, I don't have any fret issues on my Akesson thankfully. Sounds like a climate problem. Just oil it and carefully file the sides down a bit if still needed. I use FretDoctor, it does a really nice job of lubricating boards.

Last edited:
Back