Issue With McCarty Drop-In Multi Conductor

sixstringoverdrive

So I ordered the McCarty Drop In wiring kit for multi conductor to use with new 57/08 pickups (this was the instruction from PRS). The pickups have four wires each (black, white, red, braided ground).

While the product code on the kit matches, comparing the 3-way toggle diagram and picture on PRS's website of what the kit is supposed to be - I see two red wires that are switched on the actual kit.

The red wires coming off of the pickup selector are switched - the red wire that is supposed to go to the tone pot goes to the volume and vice versa.

https://us.prsaccessories.com/products/mccarty-drop-in-dual-conductor
https://www.prsguitars.com/documents/custom3waytoggle.pdf

Do I question this or just install as is? It doesn't match the wiring diagram for 3-way toggle or the picture of the kit on their own website.

Help!

Last edited:
As long as the wires connect to the proper locations, ignore the color. Maybe they were just checking to see if you were paying attention? :D;)

That’s the problem - the wires don’t connect where they are supposed to. The center wire (red) from the pickup selector is supposed to go to volume but goes to tone.

That’s the problem - the wires don’t connect where they are supposed to. The center wire (red) from the pickup selector is supposed to go to volume but goes to tone.
Hmm...that’s odd. Are you sure volume and tone pots are accurately identified (I know, obvious question)?

maybe post up a pic?

Here's the actual kit I got (also noticed I'm missing a couple fasteners...). As you can see, the center red wire from the pickup selector goes to tone instead of volume. Same problem with the other red wire - goes to volume instead of tone. This is per PRS schematics and their product photo.

Kit I received:
IMG-1873.jpg

From PRS Website:
IMG-1870.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry I didn’t see your latest response! :oops:

There are a bunch of ways to solve this circuit equation. PRS likes to show how smart they are and depart from general convention. ;)

the center red wire from the pickup selector goes to tone instead of volume. Same problem with the other red wire - goes to volume instead of tone.

There’s definitely some inconsistency. If you’re missing hardware, that’s the killer...return it for a replacement. Otherwise, desolder and reconstruct the way you want. You shouldn’t get something different than what you ordered, regardless.

I just bought the same harness to convert my CU22 to McCarty wiring.
As mentioned, it seems the two red wires from the switch are reversed on yours.

I noticed there are additional differences from the pics/diagrams on the PRS site.
That yellow/grey cap terminates on the center terminal on both pots on the PRS diagram, but on the left terminal of the volume pot on the new harness.
Also the new harness doesnt have the two resistors on the tone pot used when the coils are split ?
I thought thats where the magic happened in making the singles sound fatter when split ?
My 2009 McCarty has those resistors and is awesome. Guess I will have to add those.

Last edited:
I just bought the same harness to convert my CU22 to McCarty wiring.
As mentioned, it seems the two red wires from the switch are reversed on yours.

I noticed there are additional differences from the pics/diagrams on the PRS site.
That yellow/grey cap terminates on the center terminal on both pots on the PRS diagram, but on the left terminal of the volume pot on the new harness.
Also the new harness doesnt have the two resistors on the tone pot used when the coils are split ?
I thought thats where the magic happened in making the singles sound fatter when split ?
My 2009 McCarty has those resistors and is awesome. Guess I will have to add those.
The resistors are where the magic happens, but aren’t included in the wiring harness. You need 1.1k and 2.2k ohm resistors to add to the push/pull.

The resistors are where the magic happens, but aren’t included in the wiring harness. You need 1.1k and 2.2k ohm resistors to add to the push/pull.

If I understand correctly, if the values of the 1.1k and 2.2k ohm resistors are increased, then less of the tapped signal is sent to ground which means the split sound is warmer ?

Back