Issue ordering a DGT

Bob M

Hi everyone, new forum member here. Recently got an SE 24-08 which I love and therefore decided to pull the trigger on a gold top moon DGT. Spent the last 10 days trying to get one from Musicians Friend. Ultimately they cancelled my order today saying "Unfortunately it seems we are sold out of this guitar for good". That is a direct quote. "For good". (BTW it is still showing up as in stock on their website despite the fact they've been out of stock for at least 10 days.)
So has this model been discontinued? Why would they be out of stock "for good"?
Any insights are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I don't think they are your friend! I also think that they are dissolving their friendship with PRS (or should I say, PRS is dissolving friendship with them)!! You will find the right one and there are a lot of good dealers out there!!! I like using the "Signature" dealer list at prsguitars.com. I go into a specific model in the product line and at the bottom of those pages, they have a list of the "Signature" dealers (same list is on the "Find a dealer" page if you scroll down). These dealers are "special" which is why they have this designation. I would buy from one of them. The default option they give you to "Find a dealer" is annoying because the link that used to take you to a full dealer list is gone from what I can tell (seems it disappeared 3 or 4 months ago). Now all you have is search by city or zip. Here is an example using the DGT page (scroll to bottom) - https://prsguitars.com/electrics/dgt_2021.

Oh, and welcome to the forum (aka enablers club)!

While I likely wouldn’t order a core PRS from them, MF is great for commodity stuff. I easily got 15% off a Mono double gig bag by calling them, which I really doubt my Sweetwater guy would have done. (Also, MF had in stock where few others did.)

I used to do a lot of business with MF, but their lack of interest in correcting messed up orders eventually had me shift most of that business to Sweetwater. My Sweetwater rep gets me 15% or better regularly, they ship on time, and fix anything that’s wrong right away. I do order guitars and other gear from independent, smaller dealers as well, simply because I like to support those guys too. Sweetwater has always been good enough to tell me when they can’t get something, and why. I think the OP should have gotten at least that.

In this case I’d be calling on one of the dealers on the forum for some quick answers on what can be had in a reasonable time frame. They are worth supporting, in my opinion!

I used to do a lot of business with MF, but their lack of interest in correcting messed up orders eventually had me shift most of that business to Sweetwater. My Sweetwater rep gets me 15% or better regularly, they ship on time, and fix anything that’s wrong right away. I do order guitars and other gear from independent, smaller dealers as well, simply because I like to support those guys too. Sweetwater has always been good enough to tell me when they can’t get something, and why. I think the OP should have gotten at least that.

In this case I’d be calling on one of the dealers on the forum for some quick answers on what can be had in a reasonable time frame. They are worth supporting, in my opinion!
I like SW but I get no wiggle on most things from my rep.

For commodities and certain studio gear. Sweetwater is fine, and so is Vintage King, who are more studio-knowledgeable. I do good business with both. For hardware like that, no worries.

For guitars - more likely to need occasional service because they're made of wood, and things like switches or pots that come from third party vendors, even on a PRS - a big box store like Sweetwater isn't going to turn around repairs as quickly, and their guitar techs aren't at the top level, at least based on setups I've seen.

Sweetwater has a lot of inventory, and so there's a big selection. Most folks seem to buy a PRS for looks first, so it's tempting to look at a bunch of pictures, say "oooh," hit the buy button, and do business with a big box dealer.

For guitars, I deal with Jack Gretz, whose service is the best in the business, has a personal relationship with Paul, plus he's a luthier and can save turnaround time massively by doing most warranty work himself. Jack owns the damn shop, and gets things done personally.

While I consider the look of the guitar, it's a secondary consideration compared to service, and PRS' occasionally need warranty work done just like any other guitar. In fact, Jack is going to do warranty work on one of my PRS' this upcoming week.

Yup...you might save a little dough, but buying from one of those BIG retailers, you have no idea what you might get...
Yeah, you will get the guitar ordered, but call a brick n mortar shop and actually talk to someone knowledgeable...
its well worth a couple more $$$$$.

IMHO, of course.

Yes. And I've yet to find a smaller shop that wasn't very competitive with the big box stores in terms of price. The service is usually better at a smaller shop.

For commodities and certain studio gear. Sweetwater is fine, and so is Vintage King, who are more studio-knowledgeable. I do good business with both. For hardware like that, no worries.

For guitars - more likely to need occasional service because they're made of wood, and things like switches or pots that come from third party vendors, even on a PRS - a big box store like Sweetwater isn't going to turn around repairs as quickly, and their guitar techs aren't at the top level, at least based on setups I've seen.

Sweetwater has a lot of inventory, and so there's a big selection. Most folks seem to buy a PRS for looks first, so it's tempting to look at a bunch of pictures, say "oooh," hit the buy button, and do business with a big box dealer.

For guitars, I deal with Jack Gretz, whose service is the best in the business, has a personal relationship with Paul, plus he's a luthier and can save turnaround time massively by doing most warranty work himself. Jack owns the damn shop, and gets things done personally.

While I consider the look of the guitar, it's a secondary consideration compared to service, and PRS' occasionally need warranty work done just like any other guitar. In fact, Jack is going to do warranty work on one of my PRS' this upcoming week.
+3 for Jack and team! I call him my crack dealer ;)

I have to agree. The big box, online or in person, isn't where it's at. If CME had the last one I picked up in stock I would have far preferred to buy it from them or whoever else. I'm not going to drag a retailer through the mud, but I've seen far less cause a tar and feather campaign. It was avoidably bumpy along the way but in the end I love the guitar.

Back