Is this the wood grain pattern...or...finishing problems?

stankbank

This is my newer SE 245. This weird mark on the fretboard...doesn't seem like it is the natural grain/pattern of the wood, but almost like a glue stain that was wiped off fast or something...it was there since the day I unboxed it but never thought about it until now.

Any thoughts?

I don’t know what this question means. F one is a cleaner - conditioner

He's asking if the fretboard wood absorbed any F1. If no absorption it may be glue.

I think...Alnus?

Apologies, it was a poorly worded question and spell checker has been a pain recently.

I’m not familiar with F1 as a product (I have never used it), but it appears to be an oil based cleaner/conditioner.

I was interested if the F1 oil soaks into the area that is discoloured, or if it sits in the surface.

I use a separate fretboard cleaner and conditioner (two bottles) sold by Crimson Guitars. If I had glue on my fretboard, I would most like see a patch where the fretboard oil (conditioner) wasn’t absorbed into it.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

And as @veinbuster says, and I’m sure you know this already, go easy.

Hoping you find some way of sorting this.

It looks like a dried super glue stain that was scraped off. You’ll have to play your guitar for a long time, and eventually it’ll blend in. Chemicals will not work, Ive seen stains like that before.…ymmv.

It looks like a dried super glue stain that was scraped off. You’ll have to play your guitar for a long time, and eventually it’ll blend in. Chemicals will not work, Ive seen stains like that before.…ymmv.
You know....I honestly thought thats what it was... looks like glue that ran, they caught it but not enough to remove it entirely.

Looks like glue.

If it was mine, I'd very, very gently scrape it with a wide, very sharp chisel, then maybe buff with a ScotchBrite pad with fretboard oil on it. But I also used to be a professional woodworker...and from time to time, I actually make things worse, so you do you.

If it’s cyanoacrylate, you could try lifting it off with a Q-tip just damped with acetone. Don’t flood it, but this will help solvate and remove any super glue. Then recondition when totally dry.

Only other thing I thought it could be is a compression wound from the fretting process, in which case you’d have to steam that out.

Consider whether any of the above is worth the result. You could always just leave it alone. Character.

I guess I woud ask whether you can feel it when playing. If not, I'd be tempted to just leave well enough alone, call it a character mark.

I also suspect if it is indeed cyanoacrylate that it might slowly wear off under your fingers, and will disappear over time.

Back