Is this possible - wood library/artist package question

Ben Pinkus

So after getting my P245 earlier this year I've been bitten by the PRS bug and my gas has me wanting a Custom 24 of some kind. Now whilst I'd be very very happy with a Core model, I started look at some of the Artist packages/Wood library offerings.

And I really liked the look of the Custom 24 Wood Library 08 model (with the two coil tap mini switches). It looks like everything I'd want from a Custom 24 - apart from I haven't come across one online that has a plain flame maple neck (some had an awesome ziricote fretboard as well).

My question is do these already exist, or if not would it be possible to order one without going into Private stock land?

I'm new to this world of limited run/custom guitars so thought I'd ask you knowledgeable chaps!

Brian's did a WL run of 24-08s. Give him a ring. There might be other dealers online here that have done a run also...:rolleyes:

There may be something like what younaremlooking for out there. You'll have to do some searching though. A couple dealers that post on the Forum have done WL runs similar to what you seek. Dealers doemWL runs, so you don't get to request what you want, necessarily. They usually do a run of 10 that they spec out. However, you can contact a Dealer about an Artist Package build. That would be one that you could spec. Check out the Artist Package section on the PRS web page to see what your options are.

Go to reverb and type in prs 24-08. There are some with some interesting wood combinations.

Funny you mention the 24-08 as I was looking at these this morning. Since I have an artist cu24 already I was thinking maybe I will reach out to PRS to see if they can add the toggle switches and and the 408 switching to my guitar.

Go to reverb and type in prs 24-08. There are some with some interesting wood combinations.

Funny you mention the 24-08 as I was looking at these this morning. Since I have an artist cu24 already I was thinking maybe I will reach out to PRS to see if they can add the toggle switches and and the 408 switching to my guitar.

They can! I had PTC do this to my Cu22.

Sorry to high jack but do you have a picture of what the end result was?

Grrrr.... I was going to link in my "Reunited" thread from when I got it back. Of course, all of those pics were on PB. It's after midnight, and I just got home from McCartney (flippin' awesome!). Too late to take, and post pics. Visualize a Cu22 with the rotary. Three way went where the rotary was, and the mini toggles went in between the volume and tone knobs. Totally love it!

The Custom 24-08 has only been offered for Experience and through Wood Library, so I don't think you could get one through Artist Package.

John Mann has at least one with full maple neck still available from his Wood Library run: https://store.guitarvaultusa.com/PRS_Wood_Library_Custom_24_08_guitarWhale_Blue_p/17-239261.htm

I assume a maple board what you want? Otherwise, it looks like there still some out in the wild with maple necks and different fretboards.

Thanks for the responses guys!
I've seen some limited run artist packages in the UK (https://guitarvillage.co.uk/products/prs-limited-edition-artist-pack-custom-24-08-copperhead-burst, https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/prod...24-wood-library-ltd-burnt-maple-leaf-quilt-sw) which are basically what I'm looking for apart form the natural neck.

The link you posted looks lovely garrett, I hadn't decided on fretboard wood, but that neck is bang on (and the colour matches my P245). Only thing I'd change would be to wire a 5 way rather than 3 way switch.

How much did PRS charge to add the mini toggles (bare in mind I'd likely have to ship it from UK),

There's no need for a five way switch. The three way blade and two mini toggles net you 8 combinations of coils.

The 85/15 Multi-Tap pickups in the 24-08 are not your typical humbuckers, either. They function like the 408 pickups. While adding individual splits to a regular Custom is a great move, it's worth noting the 24-08 has a more unique thing going on with the mini toggles.

Yes my NF3 bodied - 59/09 - 513 came out killer the 59/09s split really well ( and sound great in full HB mode ) the PRS Vintage Rails pickup in he center is fun the 408 style switching ( actually used the BM Sig as inspiration ) can do almost anything :)
I like it enough that I might do another one as I have an extra pick guard

Very nice! Did you like the results?

And to the OP, if you find a CU24 of your dreams out there but it's not the 24-08 model, as you can see here with what these guys have done, you can add this feature later through PRS.

Thanks for the responses guys!
I've seen some limited run artist packages in the UK (https://guitarvillage.co.uk/products/prs-limited-edition-artist-pack-custom-24-08-copperhead-burst, https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/prod...24-wood-library-ltd-burnt-maple-leaf-quilt-sw) which are basically what I'm looking for apart form the natural neck.

The link you posted looks lovely garrett, I hadn't decided on fretboard wood, but that neck is bang on (and the colour matches my P245). Only thing I'd change would be to wire a 5 way rather than 3 way switch.

How much did PRS charge to add the mini toggles (bare in mind I'd likely have to ship it from UK),

Suggest that if you haven't decided on fretboard wood, you avoid rosewood or any other Dalbergias (eg African Blackwood) as getting the CITES export permit from DEFRA is going to be a big pain and additional expense.

If you were to find one that was all-maple, or had something else like ebony then you'd be fine in terms of shipping it back and forth.

Yeah totally, probably swaying towards maple or ebony as I have a lot of rosewood boarded guitars.

And thanks for the clarification on the switching etc - has anyone played both a Cu24 wood library (with a 5 way) and one with the 408 switching that can give more info on sound differences?

Did some more research and found other cool ones online too.

I may get a chance to play a 24-08 this weekend. Will let you know if I do.

The 24-08 will get the same 5 basic sounds of the Custom, plus neck split, bridge split, and neck with bridge split; three very useful positions the Custom lacks. The other key difference is the Multi-Tap pickups split to slug coil with extra turns of wire added, instead of just a straight up split to screw coil.

The 24-08 will get the same 5 basic sounds of the Custom, plus neck split, bridge split, and neck with bridge split; three very useful positions the Custom lacks. The other key difference is the Multi-Tap pickups split to slug coil with extra turns of wire added, instead of just a straight up split to screw coil.

Yeah that would be great!

Ok I may be being really thick here (it's been a long day) but I thought the 24-08's had a 3 way so how would they get the 5 basic sounds (of a CU24 with a 5 blade) + the split tones via the mini toggles?

Wouldn't it be:

24-08 - Neck, Both, Bridge + Neck split, both split, bridge split
or
Cu24 - Neck, P2, Both, P4, Bridge

Or would I be able to get the P2/4 tone for example by being on the middle pickup with the neck coil split/reverse for P4?

The other two positions on the Custom are bridge with neck split, and both split. You can get those in the middle position of the 24-08 (and other models with dual coil splits), plus bridge split with neck. It all depends on which position the mini toggles are in.

Yeah that would be great!

Ok I may be being really thick here (it's been a long day) but I thought the 24-08's had a 3 way so how would they get the 5 basic sounds (of a CU24 with a 5 blade) + the split tones via the mini toggles?

Wouldn't it be:

24-08 - Neck, Both, Bridge + Neck split, both split, bridge split
or
Cu24 - Neck, P2, Both, P4, Bridge

Or would I be able to get the P2/4 tone for example by being on the middle pickup with the neck coil split/reverse for P4?
The other two positions on the Custom are bridge with neck split, and both split. You can get those in the middle position of the 24-08 (and other models with dual coil splits), plus bridge split with neck. It all depends on which position the mini toggles are in.
Right. The normal CU24 offers 5-way configuration.

The CU24-08, by definition from the name, offers 8 configurations - the five from the normal CU24, plus the other three you can obtain through the discrete pup split controls.

And now that I've been talking about it, I suddenly want one. Dammit! I can't afford GAS right now!

^ I know, cannot afford atm!

Lucky there isn't a UK one with exactly the right specs (the ones I've found in the UK has a stained gloss neck rather than plain)

Back