Is this possible - light custom 22-08, 58/15, moons?

jm9239

I'd love to order a PRS with the specs below. Is this a possibility? If so, would I have to go Artist, PS or other?

Custom 22
Sort for lightweight (targeting 7 lbs or less)
58/15s with covers
408 style switching
Goldtop
Ideally moon inlays but birds okay if needed

Any advice? BTW I am still LOVING my SSH.

You could go PS, or you could buy a CU22 and send it to the PTC for mods, but you can’t just order an Artist Package with that stuff.

Thanks. Is there a particular spec that's preventing the Artist package route?

The Special Semi hollow is so close to want you want but I see you already have one.
I would just find a goldtop CU22 and send to PTS for the mods bet even with the mods it would be below 3K

Something like this

https://reverb.com/item/22016583-paul-reed-smith-prs-custom-22-moon-inlays-1996-goldtop

OP, this is what I did with my '06 Cu22. I was sending it to the PTC for a refinish and also had them change the pickups from the Dragon IIs to a 59/09 bridge and 57/08 neck; replace the 5 way rotary with a 3 way switch; and add 2 mini-toggles for the splits.

cNsXZ41.jpg

The only way to find all those things in one new guitar is to go Private Stock.

It's going to take you a while, but you could find an older CU22 Goldtop with moons at 7 lbs. Then you would have to mod it for 58/15 pickups and the mini toggles.

Seven-pound, Goldtop Customs don't come along too often.

Depending on your willingness to compromise, you can sometimes find Wood Library guitars with the old school knob layout, which you could mod, but most likely won't be available in Goldtop.

You could get a newer one with the 5-way blade and mod, but the switch is in a slightly different location than a 408, so doesn't leave much room for the mini toggles. You can do a 3-way with push/pull volume and tone. Or, what I did is use a combo of the five-way and a push/pull to get the 8 different coil combos.

Or you can just buy a Custom 24-08.

They did a great job on that, Bodia.

Thanks, Les! They certainly exceed my expectations. You couldn't even see any of the vertical mineral streaks, without squinting really hard, when it was Royal Blue (or whale blue, or just dark blue). I really, really like what I had them do to the neck. Black satin a la the Holcomb model.

gaXes4b.jpg

Thanks, Les! They certainly exceed my expectations. You couldn't even see any of the vertical mineral streaks, without squinting really hard, when it was Royal Blue (or whale blue, or just dark blue). I really, really like what I had them do to the neck. Black satin a la the Holcomb model.

gaXes4b.jpg

It’s beautiful. Love the finish and mods.

gaXes4b.jpg
That is sleek and sexy Bodia, and the top is not too shabby either.

Regular 58/15s won’t work with the 408 toggle switches. I have them in my ‘00 CU22 and wanted to send it to the PTC for this mod, but was told the pickups didn’t have enough wires. You’d need the 58/15 MT pickups that are in the Special 22 Semi-Hollow.

You can still use mini toggles for the splits, but they would be conventional coil splits and not the "splap" setup of 408 and MT pups. Still a worthwhile setup in my opinion.

Back