Is this bridge decked - pic included PRS Silver Sky

Paul knew what he was doing.
I don't think this is John's specs - I feel the bridge should be flat/flushed against the body but during the assembly, it just never happened?

I don't think this is John's specs - I feel the bridge should be flat/flushed against the body but during the assembly, it just never happened?

Refer back to Shawn's post. Your pic matches the PRS diagrams, so your guitar is to spec.

neat — what is the metal plate and screw on the right side of the diagrams?

The front edge of the bridge is designed to sit a little higher than the butt end. This is due to the fact that as the tremolo function is engaged, the bridge rocks up,View attachment 6711 View attachment 6712 as well as slightly back. If the bridge was flush to the body, the front part of the bridge would dig into the top of the guitar.

In the grand scheme of things, would many of us really hear the difference between completely decked and the set up that is to spec.

Bearing in mind that several of us have pretty poor hearing!

I was the Music Zoo last night where Paul spoke. I saw a white Silver Sky and the bridge was totally flushed against the body.
I spoke to him and he said either way works, try it both way and find your tone.
I love that man.

Refer back to Shawn's post. Your pic matches the PRS diagrams, so your guitar is to spec.

Garrett is correct. Not that I need to add that after Shawn has weighed in, with diagrams.

I have a 513 that is "decked", but not how you describe. The trem sits flush, front and back, with the body. But, based on the design of the trem plate, the screws are not flush with the body. Not possible with the angled front edge of the trem plate. However, the plate on the SS is different. I say go for it, and see how you like it.

Everything has been said I think, but thowing in my 2 cents anyway. The bridge looks decked to me. You could go flush by screwing in those screws at the front of the plate but I expect the trem motion will not be as smooth.

Everything has been said I think, but thowing in my 2 cents anyway. The bridge looks decked to me. You could go flush by screwing in those screws at the front of the plate but I expect the trem motion will not be as smooth.

Exactly. The knife edges would be defeated.

Did it get mentioned yet that John doesn’t use the tremolo bar on his “ s-style” guitars? Decked would be the preferred setup, even Clapton has it done.

besides john mayer setup...
i've seen many prs bridges set with the tail resting against the body.
do you set it up this way?
i set up mine to have the same relief front to back (bridge plate parallel with the strings) to have room to go up and down with the bar.

... just curious...

besides john mayer setup...
i've seen many prs bridges set with the tail resting against the body.
do you set it up this way?
i set up mine to have the same relief front to back (bridge plate parallel with the strings) to have room to go up and down with the bar.

... just curious...

This is how I set mine up.

Back