Is this a QC issue or defect?

I just didn't know what was causing the discoloration I'm happy with the guitar itself. In fact, I found it funky and it stuck out over the other custom 24's at the store. It wasn't until I mentioned to a friend that I may sell it that the question if the heartwood would devalue the guitar came up.

I don't think I've ever seen "defects" in grain pattern ever have any kind of effect on sale price, new or used. Actual physical damage is the only thing I've ever seen have bearing on resale value. Your friend may base value off grain quality and how well any given piece of wood will take a stain, but the mass majority of the market does not. I think your guitar looks great and see no "defects" whatsoever.

Just be patient. Save a bit. One will show up on the used market that suits you.
The P22 is too versatile to give up, especially when you really like it.

This. If you love this guitar, I'd say keep it and be patient. The Hollowbody 594 is not going anywhere anytime soon and there will, without a doubt, be some killer examples being released down the road in all sorts of price points.

Waiting seems like the logical course of action but it seems everytime I wait for a better deal I miss out.

There’s no defect. If you can’t deal with how it looks, you should’ve either not purchased or returned it. Or sell it. It’s a gorgeous guitar. If you don’t think so move it on to someone who appreciates it.

Its a stunning guitar & if you like the way it sounds and plays, I would keep it. Enough said...........

Absolutely not a defect. It's how the lumber took the stain. It's a good looking fiddle and like a lot of others have already said, it has character.

Hi Everyone,

I bought this guitar new last year at a PRS dealer here in town. This guitar is my first core model and from the moment I purchased this guitar I instantly became a PRS fan.So much so that I am not looking at ordering a McCarty 594 Hollowbody ii. Trouble is I may not be able to afford one unless I sell my P22 and a few other guitars for that matter. The issue I am referring to is the discoloration of the stain where the two maple pcs meet under the bridge. I kind of like the way it looks but a friend of mine said that it will hurt the trade value as it appears to be finished incorrectly. I can't tell if this discoloration was the result of something going wrong when it was sprayed or if its something to do with the natural color of the wood itself. Also opinions on if this would result would devalue the guitar are welcome.

it's a ten top BTW

That would bug me after awhile of I bought it. The last time Paul was in town, he had an owner send his HB back free of charge to be refinished. My 408 developed pock marks from the finish sinking in and was handled at no charge.

Call customer support

Well everyone is has answered about the color change. I would not diminish the value if i were selling it. Just put up really good pics, mention the unique ten top in the ad, go from there. I do second everyone saying to keep it and save or sell other things to get your 594 hollow body! Its a good looking guitar!

What you are seeing is not a stain and it's not a factory defect. What you are seeing is the edge of what is called "heartwood". It's the best part of the center of a maple tree. It doesn't take the stain the same way that the rest of the wood in the tree does and that is why it looks different. Here is a photo of my artist 20th Anni SC. Look at the heartwood in the bookmatch.
https://imgur.com/foNaOqq
Didn't Paul say the ME1 comes from Heartwood?

That would bug me after awhile of I bought it. The last time Paul was in town, he had an owner send his HB back free of charge to be refinished. My 408 developed pock marks from the finish sinking in and was handled at no charge.

Call customer support

I received the same treatment.

I see where you're coming from, but I had to go back and look twice before really noticing it. It is a quirk, but that is a striking-looking top.

Back