Is this a mahogany back?

limey

Long time lurker here. Such a fountain of knowledge.

I’ve taken the plunge and ordered a beautiful faded blue jean Cu24.

I’m suddenly concerned that the body isn’t mahogany but some other wood like Korina based on the grain pattern and the color mismatch with the neck.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I’ve checked the modcat decoder but that doesn’t have body wood!

Thanks fellow PRS lovers.

$_3.JPG

It's definitely mahogany, you just got a particularly cool looking grain structure.

Gratz, she's a beaut!

What I meant to say is:

“Oh no they’ve not sent you one with a back like that. Best send it to me for safekeeping!”

;);)

That looks like a pine or plywood back to me. Typical. The best thing you can do is forward the guitar to me and I will see that the correct steps are taken. Honestly. I will.

That’s a beauty, congrats! Like the others have said, definitely a Mahogany back.

It’s mahogany, as everyone else says. A nice, figured piece like that is kind of a find!

Definitely Mahogany and a perfect example of why I avoid buying guitars that are covered with opaque paint so you cannot see the natural beauty of the wood. I do love 'clear' coats on guitars or stained in such a way to enhance the look of the natural woods.

I know some people do not care too much about the back, but to me, its something extra that makes me love it more - all my PRS guitars show the grain on the back and my Hollowbody ii has a 1 piece maple back that matches the top as is to be expected with the Hollowbody ii guitars. My latest, a PRS Special 22, has a great back - in the darker reddish colour that is normally associated with Mahogany back. I will say though, its not as figured or as interesting (in terms of the grain and pattern on it) compared to this beauty of yours...

Killer looking guitar! That is mahogany.

But to set your mind at ease, send support an email with the serial number. They will know exactly what it is.

Thanks all for putting my mind at ease. I did also reach out to customer service, and got a rapid reply indicating all is 'hog

UPS just dropped her off. The back looks better in person than in the store pictures - and definitely mahogany :)

48183220117_a931b65d0c.jpg

I'm a little surprised how much lighter the top is than in the store pictures. (These iPhone pictures capture it very accurately in natural light).
It'll take me a while to get used to her... all my other guitars are darker.

48183156186_39300e7d8d_z.jpg

I returned a Pattern Thin Cu24. The neck was too thin for playing hours on end. I tried the Cu22 in stores - felt like a Gibson neck, but with a V and I hate Vs. I play a lot of 60s style Fender necks with the 1.65" nut, so was advised the Pattern Reg would feel familiar... well, it does, as does the string spacing. But the better-than-usual soloing I was capable off on the Pattern Thin seems to have disappeared... I guess the 1 11/16 space on the PT really does help. But... chords (I'm a thumb over Chicago/Texas blues player) are a breeze on this neck.

Long and short of it... need to get use to the look and feel for a day before deciding if she's a keeper or if I want to go for a charcoal top / natural back combo...... choices!

jcfqorhng4lxqdpilp93.jpg

Yep, what they all said. Mahogany can very from tan, to reddish, to brown.
Thanks all for putting my mind at ease. I did also reach out to customer service, and got a rapid reply indicating all is 'hog

UPS just dropped her off. The back looks better in person than in the store pictures - and definitely mahogany :)

48183220117_a931b65d0c.jpg

I'm a little surprised how much lighter the top is than in the store pictures. (These iPhone pictures capture it very accurately in natural light).
It'll take me a while to get used to her... all my other guitars are darker.

48183156186_39300e7d8d_z.jpg

I returned a Pattern Thin Cu24. The neck was too thin for playing hours on end. I tried the Cu22 in stores - felt like a Gibson neck, but with a V and I hate Vs. I play a lot of 60s style Fender necks with the 1.65" nut, so was advised the Pattern Reg would feel familiar... well, it does, as does the string spacing. But the better-than-usual soloing I was capable off on the Pattern Thin seems to have disappeared... I guess the 1 11/16 space on the PT really does help. But... chords (I'm a thumb over Chicago/Texas blues player) are a breeze on this neck.

Long and short of it... need to get use to the look and feel for a day before deciding if she's a keeper or if I want to go for a charcoal top / natural back combo...... choices!

jcfqorhng4lxqdpilp93.jpg

Niiice. And I'm with ya. Pattern Thin is great for speed but not comfort for me.

Pattern Regular is still a soft V like Pattern, but sounds like it fits your hand well. I like both of those shapes.

Back