Is this a legit PRS?

That’s real AF. It’s a Howard Leese Golden Eagle. Good price too

Ok cool. I know you know your stuff.

I know nothing about that model, but some things seemed strange to me for a typical core PRS. Also, I'll admit that I don't know much about their guitars produced within the last decade or so because I can't really play anymore.

The regular screw driver pickup ring screws seem weird to me. I thought they were always Philips head. Obviously something anybody could change though.

The rear control plates threw me as well, but as I said, I know nothing of the model.

Is the neck pickup reversed on all of them, or did someone reinstall it improperly?

Ok cool. I know you know your stuff.

I know nothing about that model, but some things seemed strange to me for a typical core PRS. Also, I'll admit that I don't know much about their guitars produced within the last decade or so because I can't really play anymore.

The regular screw driver pickup ring screws seem weird to me. I thought they were always Philips head. Obviously something anybody could change though.

The rear control plates threw me as well, but as I said, I know nothing of the model.

Is the neck pickup reversed on all of them, or did someone reinstall it improperly?

Pretty sure the neck pickup came that way.

It’s not a “Core” guitar, it’s a limited run of Private Stock guitars. The whole thing is filled with idiosyncratic details and parts attempting to replicate Howard’s guitar.

Shorter headstock shape, binding, different control layout, gold lampshades, unplated brass trem, slot head screws, and dowel filled drawer hole plugs in the maple top.

That’s lower(ish) pre-Covid pricing too. A well-heeled and adventurous guitar player would make the trip to buy that in a WalMart parking lot.

It’s not a “Core” guitar, it’s a limited run of Private Stock guitars. The whole thing is filled with idiosyncratic details and parts attempting to replicate Howard’s guitar.

Shorter headstock shape, binding, different control layout, gold lampshades, unplated brass trem, slot head screws, and dowel filled drawer hole plugs in the maple top.

That’s lower(ish) pre-Covid pricing too. A well-heeled and adventurous guitar player would make the trip to buy that in a WalMart parking lot.
Headed to Walmart???

That's where I met to pickup my most recent Santana SE :D

Yup, legit. It doesn't look like a typical PRS because it's based on a pre-factory guitar, which were all different.

The original is the first maple topped guitar made by Paul.

A well-heeled and adventurous guitar player would make the trip to buy that in a WalMart parking lot.

Brings back a memory. A gentleman I didn’t know from southern Indiana wanted to meet me halfway to consummate a deal involving 2 Modern Eagle 1s he was selling. I looked on a map and chose a location in Indianapolis at a Ramada Inn right off I-70 on the south side. Bad choice; I didn’t realize that the area had (politely stated) deteriorated, and I had major reservations as I pulled into the lot. There were people wandering around like a scene from the Walking Dead. I arrived first, and was nervously counting the minutes until the seller arrived.

He finally showed after some uncomfortable minutes, and we proceeded to commence with our deal (which probably looked like a drug deal given the environment). As we were concluding, an individual shuffled up to us and started with his “I ran out of gas routine.” The guitar seller immediately got up in the gas dude’s face and screamed, “Turn around and walk away right now!!!” I was shocked at how brazen my new acquaintance was, but man were his words effective. The seller then explained to me that he had worked for years in undercover narcotics, and that was how you deal with such a situation. He then proceeded to point out to me various other individuals loitering in the area explaining to me what their “thing” was. I suspect he was dead-on. I was just happy to be leaving the lot, unshot, with 2 guitars.

Sorry to derail the thread. Nice “Howard!”

Last edited:
Brings back a memory. A gentleman I didn’t know from southern Indiana wanted to meet me halfway to consummate a deal involving 2 Modern Eagle 1s he was selling. I looked on a map and chose a location in Indianapolis at a Ramada Inn right off I-70 on the south side. Bad choice; I didn’t realize that the area had (politely stated) deteriorated, and I had major reservations as I pulled into the lot. There were people wandering around like a scene from the Walking Dead. I arrived first, and was literally counting the minutes until the seller arrived.

He finally showed after some uncomfortable minutes, and we proceeded to commence with our deal (which probably looked like a drug deal given the environment). As we were concluding, an individual shuffled up to us and started with his “I ran out of gas routine.” The guitar seller immediately got up in the gas dude’s face and screamed, “Turn around and walk away right now!!!” I was shocked at how brazen my new acquaintance was, but man were his words effective. The seller then explained to me that he had worked for years in undercover narcotics, and that was how you deal with such a situation. He then proceeded to point out to me various other individuals loitering in the area explaining to me what their “thing” was. I suspect he was dead-on. I was just happy to be leaving the lot, unshot, with 2 guitars.

Sorry to derail the thread. Nice “Howard!”

For awhile I was doing a ton of shady Craigslist deals (around the time of Dimebag threads and taking care of my mom) that they got so routine.

Then one night a dude met me in a Target parking lot for some turntables, and he had his girlfriend all dressed menacing like in a hoodie with the hood pulled over her eyes.

I said something along the line about bringing “backup” and he was all.. “ya never know”. We then bonded over all the weapons we had stashed on us for our suburban gear deal. :p

Cracker Barrel is another good place to meet. I sold a California Blond amp and extension cab way back when, then had a tasty lunch!

Back