Is This A Good Buy for a DGT?

S

slang05

Hey Guys! Need more advice on a DGT. Now, keep in mind as you read this I am on a budget of $1500. Ok? So I am craving a DGT, never played one but from reading reviews, watching videos and being on here, I think it would be a great guitar for me. But remember, I am on a budget of $1500. So I find a used one at a store 3 hours from me, beautiful top but a ton of rash on the back.. Not really rash..here is a link...

http://killervintage.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=943&Itemid=11

I was told by the guy at the store, that the original owner set it on his leg and it just kinda rubbed the finish off. He said the top is near perfect and there is no buckle rash, just the wear on the lower edge of the back. Obviously it is not minor, but the rest of the guitar looks great. Typically I would think it was abused, but like I said, the rest of the guitar is super nice.. I think the guy just for some reason only could play sitting down.

So here is my question..how much will this hurt it's value. I kinda think if this guitar did not have that rash it would be marked at about $2300??? I do a lot of trading, do you guys think I will lose my butt if I were to say take it to Guitar Center and trade it. And keep in mind, I am spending $1500 after tax on it so I'm really buying it for like $1400ish. To me I think it's a steal. I can't imagine not getting $1000-$1200 if I were to sell it. The reason I'm freakin a bit, I showed my wife and she acted like I was showing here a first act guitar on walmarts website. She kinda thinks its a bad buy for $1500 and can't believe I'd want to spend so much on a guitar that has so much wear. So who's right? Is it a steal? Or a good buy? And keep in mind I'm not buying it if I don't fall in love with the feel and sound of the guitar.

I'd try to get them down a couple hundred more, but I don't think it's a bad deal at the current price. Heck, Fender Custom Shop charges almost that much to do the same to a new guitar!:biggrin:

I have gotten them down a few hundred but I may try a bit more. They were asking $1799. I know it's been there awhile but they aren't very motivated to move it from what I can tell. So for arguments sake, $1425 a good deal?

I have gotten them down a few hundred but I may try a bit more. They were asking $1799. I know it's been there awhile but they aren't very motivated to move it from what I can tell. So for arguments sake, $1425 a good deal?

I'd take that deal. I don't mind battle scars if it's going to be a player guitar, I'm going to add my own anyway. As long as it played true, I would do it.

I think that looks great! Get it for as low as they'll go and play the snot out of it :)

I'd take that deal. I don't mind battle scars if it's going to be a player guitar, I'm going to add my own anyway. As long as it played true, I would do it.

That's what I'm thinking. If I use to gig and play the heck out of it, then it's no biggie, but of I'm uncertain of it, or if I don't fall in love with it when I first pick it up then I'll pass on it.

I think that's a pretty good deal. As long as it feels right and the tone talks to you, I would go for it. Of course there's nothing wrong with trying to bargain down even further. Look at it this way - someone's already driven the car off the lot and put it's first dings on it. If and when you get it, you won't be worried about dinging it so much, and you can just enjoy it! I hope all goes well!!

Thanks for the input guys! Sounds like we're all on the same page! Appreciate it big time!

Based on the number of DGT's that I've flipped, that is a great price. It's not a 10-top, but I don't foresee you losing much if anything on it if you move it. If it plays well and has monster tone, I really don't care what it looks like. Good luck, dude!

as long as the wood isn't splintering or anything at that spot, then it is a fine deal. The tone should be killer, and these are meant to be played!

You could always send it to the PTC and have the finish made factory-new at some point.

Ok, who called? The guy at the store said he had like 5 calls on it this morning and couldn't understand why..so who called? I'm not mad, I think it's hilarious even if it did cost me the power of negotiation! Lol

Btw, amazing! Feels 25 years old. It's been played to perfection. The guy who owned it was a jazz guitarist who played 4 nights a week. It honestly feels like its a vintage guitar.

Lol. Yeah it's awesome. Just got home so ill set it up for me and take it around the block! But I knew about 10 seconds after I started playing it that I would buy it.

Back