Is this a fake? I think so...

here’s another beautiful unicorn:

IMG_3149.PNG

IMG_3150.PNG

Welp, Its about time!!! The first one is Green, so I guess it should be in my stall...now which stall, not sure yet...probably the one with the hard white seats with big holes in the middle...

I just talked to the seller, super nice guy. He has had it for a couple of decades but it's a mystery to him as well. He said he met someone else on birds and moons with one, and the running theory is that it was a promotional series for the top twenty dealers. That kind of sounds plausible. Anyways, when I get it I'll restring it and take out the pickups and look for some artifacts.

Waiting for the pics...

Alright, just got it. She's a looker for sure, but I have no more answers than I had before. Definitely maple set neck, German tun-o-matic, weighs 7 lbs 4 oz, so I don't know if that would make it chambered, and I took a bunch of pics. It almost looks like an alder back but now I'm not sure.

IMG_9485.JPG
IMG_9587.JPG
IMG_4107.JPG
IMG_5438.JPG

IMG_6543.JPG
IMG_5613.JPG
IMG_9482.JPG
IMG_2514%2B2.JPG

IMG_2964%2B2.JPG
IMG_1749.JPG
IMG_8071.JPG
IMG_7537.JPG
IMG_4998.JPG

Very nice! Still strange serial number but jives with CE’s of the year. Correct me if I’m wrong but the S.S. written in the neck pickup cavity should mean Signature Series.. weight indicates chambered as most if not all Limited Editions were (the 300) from that time period. Definitely unique and beautiful. I regretted not buying it, but I was skeptical for I never seen or heard of Award Series and the CE serial number thing on a set maple neck the forum members figured out still had me baffled.

Nevertheless my saved money went to a different PRS I’ve had my eye on for a couple months. NGD Friday.

Enjoy!! Glad it found a home with a Forum member.

AP

Very nice! Still strange serial number but jives with CE’s of the year. Correct me if I’m wrong but the S.S. written in the neck pickup cavity should mean Signature Series.. weight indicates chambered as most if not all Limited Editions were (the 300) from that time period. Definitely unique and beautiful. I regretted not buying it, but I was skeptical for I never seen or heard of Award Series and the CE serial number thing on a set maple neck the forum members figured out still had me baffled.

Nevertheless my saved money went to a different PRS I’ve had my eye on for a couple months. NGD Friday.

Enjoy!! Glad it found a home with a Forum member.

AP

Thanks for the info, can't wait for your NGD. That's the thing, there's just too many guitars and not enough money lol.

Thanks for the info, can't wait for your NGD. That's the thing, there's just too many guitars and not enough money lol.

Hey I was just looking at your pics again and that pickup configuration is interesting, bridge PUP is a Vintage Bass treble position and another Vintage Bass (Ltd) in the neck. I wonder if they’re the same or have different windings and resistance readings. Hmmmm.

Alright, just got it. She's a looker for sure, but I have no more answers than I had before. Definitely maple set neck, German tun-o-matic, weighs 7 lbs 4 oz, so I don't know if that would make it chambered, and I took a bunch of pics. It almost looks like an alder back but now I'm not sure.

IMG_9485.JPG
IMG_9587.JPG
IMG_4107.JPG
IMG_5438.JPG

IMG_6543.JPG
IMG_5613.JPG
IMG_9482.JPG
IMG_2514%2B2.JPG

IMG_2964%2B2.JPG
IMG_1749.JPG
IMG_8071.JPG
IMG_7537.JPG
IMG_4998.JPG

Studying the first edition PRS Guitar Book (pg. 46-47) a bit, I think this is a 1990 guitar. The "07" part matches 1990 CE numbering, and 1866 falls in the 1831-3200 serial number range cited for 1990 CEs. The combination of handwritten signature, TOM bridge and tailpiece, and non-maple top (I'm guessing curly cedar) would seem to make it one of the Limited series guitars (300 made) from that era. I'm guessing it inherited the serial number from its maple neck, even though it was glued in rather than bolted. That's a fascinating find!

Studying the first edition PRS Guitar Book (pg. 46-47) a bit, I think this is a 1990 guitar. The "07" part matches 1990 CE numbering, and 1866 falls in the 1831-3200 serial number range cited for 1990 CEs. The combination of handwritten signature, TOM bridge and tailpiece, and non-maple top (I'm guessing curly cedar) would seem to make it one of the Limited series guitars (300 made) from that era. I'm guessing it inherited the serial number from its maple neck, even though it was glued in rather than bolted. That's a fascinating find!

Thanks, I was wondering if it was a non-maple top and I think you're right. Do you think the back is mahogany?

Back