Is this a fake? I think so...

I think the guitar has been refinished at some time. First the ser#071866. If you remove the 0 it would make it a 87 and the1866 set neck off the line. The # match up but the ser# should be ink stamped not hand written. If you turn the 7 into a 1 it would make it a 90 and the 11866 set neck off the line. Again the ser# would match the 1990 ser# range and have a hand written ser#. But i have never seen a ser# so skewed to the left , where it ends between the tuners.

So the ser# as is matchs nothing.

I dont know i have never heard of a Award series. And if that was not on the headstock i would have thought it was a 90 and the 1 was mistaken for a 7 by whoever refinished the guitar. But it is there. So....honest mistake or......... . I dont think i would touch this guitar

I was too skeptical and too slow...
:-( I was in touch with the seller by email and we were going to talk today but it sold.

It was me. I also troll reverb and saw this, the tune-o-matic, moons?! and maple neck and knew it was a unicorn. He had a good price, I didn't think, I just bought. It was like an unknown force was guiding my hand to the buy button. Sorry to the OP, but if it makes any difference I didn't see this post before I bought it. I am also curious about its story. It's not in the book, which talks about the redwood limited editions as some of the rarest ones. So this one being one of twenty would be a rare find.
Congrats

It was me. I also troll reverb and saw this, the tune-o-matic, moons?! and maple neck and knew it was a unicorn. He had a good price, I didn't think, I just bought. It was like an unknown force was guiding my hand to the buy button. Sorry to the OP, but if it makes any difference I didn't see this post before I bought it. I am also curious about its story. It's not in the book, which talks about the redwood limited editions as some of the rarest ones. So this one being one of twenty would be a rare find.

That was a great price! Guess I'll hang on to my Redwood for quite a while!

Well done mate.

I think the guitar has been refinished at some time. First the ser#071866. If you remove the 0 it would make it a 87 and the1866 set neck off the line. The # match up but the ser# should be ink stamped not hand written. If you turn the 7 into a 1 it would make it a 90 and the 11866 set neck off the line. Again the ser# would match the 1990 ser# range and have a hand written ser#. But i have never seen a ser# so skewed to the left , where it ends between the tuners.

So the ser# as is matchs nothing.

I dont know i have never heard of a Award series. And if that was not on the headstock i would have thought it was a 90 and the 1 was mistaken for a 7 by whoever refinished the guitar. But it is there. So....honest mistake or......... . I dont think i would touch this guitar

Well, if it was refinished the s/n on the hang tag would read 118... But this is not the case.
The 7 was used in the CE but maybe it was used here to denote a maple neck...

I just talked to the seller, super nice guy. He has had it for a couple of decades but it's a mystery to him as well. He said he met someone else on birds and moons with one, and the running theory is that it was a promotional series for the top twenty dealers. That kind of sounds plausible. Anyways, when I get it I'll restring it and take out the pickups and look for some artifacts.

glad that worked out, now do this one:
IMG_3147.PNG

can barely make out paul’s signature on the headstock but if you look closely his initials are there:

IMG_3148.PNG

Very strange, Serial # is correct for a 1990 CE. I'm wondering if someone somehow installed a CE neck in this and kept the serial #,just re-wrote it on the headstock. Also the Moons, in 1990, I can't imagine a major retailer ordering a run of high end PRS's without birds .Another question, the pickups. No mention of LE pickups anywhere in the PRS book.

Last edited:
Back