Is this a common observation (SE Mark Holcomb)

Maertl513

Sherlock 513
Ladies and Gents,
I do like having something unique - to a certain extent. I saw a bunch of Holcombs all with plain laying TRC on top, regardless of the production year 2016 or 2017.

RjcWqZMIWLeeH-QdkiW1L8hMua3Lss5KBT4xPsBiEvo8HL7fUy5popMfeWIJwsWNL-fLvIt1SJaVlBcqyDfEL6MvZZzL3GYH9pisAf4hEq9TZg3Nx71xnef-NNkyp9Ja9sKBIWOU43KRc25hTcwvYyOZPEM958tkWQQnRURjuI3dSiZlOE6_Hm5G6FVKK08KBsCERnlq6VL2oUB9YWIMbwiGdvPD9T2drUGtvBBre8f5DUcsIC1-TsMFNwOuIc_Z7v1o8Y2i3u2hsLzy5zUwoGq1hoiVuF66T2KfNiJHpt0I3DKtyBb8WFuri-RDUEfd6OnYQmyubSs2MnWcLhhfyMyjJ6DtRQjvyhkL2Tn_jHb1GWh5qHd129_hAKu6OLE3YXSKJqaeS4RTtoUZ6-v_s35vlGthoG__E5BNSYzwfI64NV2hISIvBzlwzLxrpHfrgvOcTPxMDdObTO79KIY4yQ93uTbrIWplHOt7LJAGT-bEhinw1eW3xZJIzZxnUY5IDnEU4qvriJbi3NGT-C6NnQcsAzOCHiBOw_Yq11rex2bYcERZ66sDP1GG1klp93A5JFkmwAIppxnegSCQCTEikKyQmLRJmkhcJElDqGlPTL_xiXr15PGAkw=w1225-h919-no

My TRC not. It was shipped with a gap. As a first conclusion I thought it was driven because it was too long by touching the nut at half height. I sanded the side of the TRC to avoid that. But it´s still there:

UPfolnKh7iPZTezx_97mF8J7iotuoBtUKeoELpKTpMqA-YH-qDm35ZZ2eKdLJkkZ7ZusB9skdBcAqu6bigD8zDOjO5b-nONd6lxPS_hmUeVK78Agegkmkkf6TeZhZGV413nz4PnEHiHeMf278RAIXfVg-NZ_5ipsKw48kRRyG9Yty_KVgx2kcrP3jvIEvGzXS64-aeqlXpnKmceTSOE4FWVfrv_hGXjak3UTyNONqmIeWtT6LsQKQxEsAgfbih4HMXv8R7r33i31r7Yy9dFdwoUyOu36j1np66tnhGft0xxATceUXB91etZ7JMof-Wx9GsBVCc7KWGGlpPSP52HAt8qGGVL9dwMc31LlTL9nyKNxLGAKs7_k_g_eaSQ14pDTdvpKuk-AkQXBMScMl1OrOXGa6E2e6BGiFHPyWBqtBFtkB4KQjiotdRJU74uhBP1GK85XLZKeD3kKLjrO-cw75sQAKdqSc2rqtx3G6garwUGuOhc7ys-OEyjGrdMqghfx5Joi8S6bhe1mBpiV4Ps-hWzagbcEI8hVc83tpp9pU0-FD6ngUqU_ZkTn2mGQM_GXcDacF9v3ZvP4gmiO8BiHFT8OAEWeZ6UjBqTswQsQSzvl_wgxONRIRg=w1225-h919-no

I thought the TRC was bent too much. For that reason I asked PRS Europe for replacement TRC.

Just in time I got mail by Nick.

tVlF3gavXpKP5M2IqRxibhaewtjlEnNG6NR7xdFb7wVtGhRPiQsdJnT2Apzg7P6TPKhEZKCc0fv2yecTFR8ppeKk5GnYtovDSGTGIcrhJKt5yuHZHnVxgoScT9h-CqSd9r-P2lPI2h5VEawetK0vOIgE_bQxOyF6xzjMrEGbmmUB3MkKW454zMBfDh_FBygWTm9IzGJYjUJcE3QIUg0muhelh9v4Brew9C0wHEfrVk2sqStQBWnPL2IhwMTMyHkLjqb-gYOddo34CcC75Sgff132lNgxL8c-0inihZSJAvw9yQBYRoaFpFf-rCR930SA5sURgtq7AAMlY2Ib1Cd4DUmXFEywJ2jrGyEuAdryagsYlouh4xm2I4wqZ_qyqM1MYDS2wfDeGvttkVB2wLFRxd3eud7VILAfVW808WANIpPijwlGxMdXk1Ct4cXdQ09JyWMwIKbeHDXoj0DwAzUD0JKQImyJAl_guvQe_CzVkKDLwpCbj9Swz34nDRBQ-8n7VHdrmxWaa32bECk2xTYF4DdnZEgMnGH4MTBhZSo1bz0HbbHIjZrwifMO65JmC_pLyKtAJfUvVqXDjShx9rXY9CnF1cCb-qeJx9Jhk9MKxi51RiRLY5Zzug=w1225-h919-no

BUT: What the heck!

cS6a2E545BQqLZVokyMg7x3nPR4hQmQVZsM-KUfGxMlIoAlZ2rL84FWtUs1Yrm1Ont1z7juEfCKiC_75zg9aO2yDhRz_5uGWhdCWajBYuem_5fdBCWoiv1beCf1K-XAZbMEwFuyEwDn_jN0Y_ng1LGI4dCkmh4LnWtvvZRUnc70dLDBDnEZhuM7ELscdRejCLzsdRa2o0KPJSJKg3PZvqFH8ZxjGLK5CksRjr2cJc1nwbGFnpoBYRKLnS1zQ9Y8TBUkUzfHYWgcNWYLp1o3ru_BcCDoT3QqYdHjNGxBqDW5W6a3ncAhiqlwk1n7O8a1wjxLPt5S7EVodLn0Mh_v2kUWDgdGvxptVpmVYRz1P060tU2ZJiUtZdRofUh_5numrve2JzMVFsVkSXn-DAq05amOtuyHdshvEbZ9p8jtHxdCFZjXJ2bInHdBqK6wpq1TEGgu26XjMXvdAzodIZHeHuKW1MOsQoXsmLeAUVW7k6ObVE7_jTXOKJUrpTyKBin99i9A5PN6Qy5vtbLwG7e25Zi1gS-OM9oWzmAbBnXMXOWtiM29RTalgDueSDK21MCWp6wt6hezlHWAVnhGHAqHm_f6yYR78fX4Dlu8BjLou47V37GlUeXtPZQ=w1227-h919-no

The replacement TRC still deliver the gap. My question: What went wrong with my headstock if any other SE Holcomb´s TRC is laying plain on the top of the headstock?
And every other PRSi either S2 or Core or PS hasn´t got that gap.

Oh dear. Maybe the locating screw hole for your TRC was drilled too close to the nut. If this problem was common I think we would have heard about it by now. It is news to me at least. Good on PRS for responding with a replacement but I fear your best solution would be to reach for the files again or contact PRS a second time and suggest an original Mark Holcomb TRC might fit better?

O7xfnaLvPzWb-cxWy59eG4lpEOu5XylOxhWXwjg5657thE2ch1ukBBaPHiJ-sZfS-qIAiulzYOw=w1225-h919-no

The design of the screw hole MAY be responsible for this gap according the screw´s hole has got a slightly lager scale by the rough work of the guy who uses the driller.

Somewhere at home I've got some epoxy, I'll try to refill the hole.
But QC should do proper checks, and QA should make the employees work with passion and accuracy.

Hmm, did the black nut come as stock?
On all pics I have seen so far the '17 Holcombs all came with white plastic nuts?!?!

The black nut (PRS WT profile) has been installed by my dealer before the guitar has been shipped to me.

Maybe the locating screw hole for your TRC was drilled too close to the nut.
This would be my first guess as well. Happens. I probably have them on one or two of my guitars, didn't do anything about them. Not saying you should ignore it, just saying, 's'not a big deal to me. I see two solutions -- do something on the nut side to accommodate for the TRC, or do something to the TRC to accommodate for the nut. Or exchange it, there's probably someone else who would be perfectly happy to pay blem prices for something like that.

EDIT: OR THAT ^ -- new nut thickerer.

Of course I know that the PRS nut (US) is little thicker than the SE one, but this has no impact on the gap because both TRC (Mark Holcomb and PRS replacement) haven't any contact point.
For sure it's an optical issue. If a producer claims he offers perfect goods in every price range then he has to accept that the customer requiers this perfection. ;-)

Oh, it's not even touching? That's weird. What the hell? Lollers. So does that mean the hole is drilled sufficiently at an angle that it holds the TRC up?

And yeah, that would definitely grate on me, especially if it made that little flipper/ruler noise.

This would be my first guess as well. Happens. I probably have them on one or two of my guitars, didn't do anything about them. Not saying you should ignore it, just saying, 's'not a big deal to me. I see two solutions -- do something on the nut side to accommodate for the TRC, or do something to the TRC to accommodate for the nut. Or exchange it, there's probably someone else who would be perfectly happy to pay blem prices for something like that.

EDIT: OR THAT ^ -- new nut thickerer.

I didn't realize the nut is not the standard SE version but the issue remained with the replacement TRC where there was no contact with the nut. That being said. Where we have a one screw TRC it will naturally create a pivot point where we drive down and the opposing end will lift up a little. Martin's was more than a little. I have just inspected my own two SE models holding the headstock in front of a lamp. Both TRCs are a nice snug fit not tight and no distortion but I can see a small amount of air in there. Maybe 0.25mm. This is pretty much what I would expect to see. I removed both covers and the screw entry holes in the headstock are drilled perfectly. No chip out like we see on Martin's guitar. The chip out is what I find more disappointing here. For me it would not be a deal breaker but it could be further on down the road to a potential buyer who demands to see all of the covers removed and is looking for a totally blemish free guitar.

Of course I know that the PRS nut (US) is little thicker than the SE one, but this has no impact on the gap because both TRC (Mark Holcomb and PRS replacement) haven't any contact point.
For sure it's an optical issue. If a producer claims he offers perfect goods in every price range then he has to accept that the customer requiers this perfection. ;-)

Ah, ok, sorry for the misunderstanding, wasn't clear to me from the pics and what you wrote at the beginning.

So the TRC lies flush before you insert the screw and as you tighten the screw it moves up, right?

Yes the hole is not good and I know you are upset about it but it is what it is. I know you should not have to do this but epoxy like you mentioned, or superglue finished with black nail polish would render this area to pre-drilled perfection if done with care. I did a similar job with a chip on the pointy end of one my headstocks recently. Worked out well.

DIY maintenance, I really love doing other guys job ;-)

And I'm not upset.

Last edited:
Back