Is there such a thing as a very plain looking Private Stock?

Jkater

By plain looking, I mean one that has exceptionally good TONEwood and the "best-PRS-can-deliver" fit and finish and playability but with nothing cosmetically fancy (even dots!!!)?

EDIT: I used the word "outworldly" which is not a word. :D … or did I spell it "outwordly"? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
This is quite plain looking
G33qYu2.jpg

By plain looking, I mean one that has outwordly good TONEwood and outwordly good fit and finish and playability but with nothing cosmetically fancy (even dots!!!)?

Its called a S2 Standard!!

The whole point about Private Stock is that it uses the most exotic woods but if you want the plainest woods you buy an S2. If you want the Plainest ALL US made with all the Tone - buy a non-10 top!!!

No. 99.9 recurring% sure.

Excuse me (but I'm curious), what does 'outwordly' mean?

Oh shoot! This is not a word and I've used it many times before. :oops: English is my second language (chronologically)...
I meant "out of this world" as in the stuff they keep safe in the vault because it rings like a dozen bells and would make an "out of this world-ly" good sounding guitar.

So I reckon no one ever went to Paul & co. and said "make me the best possible guitar with these specs including plain top, no inlays, etc". I just think it would be a very cool guitar if it was built.

The main difference between the wood in the Private Stock Vault and the rest is aesthetic or type/genus. If you want a Maple top, like a regular non-10-top core, the Maple in the vault would have been cured (dried) exactly the same regardless - same with the Mahogany and that's the same curing as PRS will do for their S2 range. In other words, the words are ALL cured the same regardless of whether they are being used for an S2 or a Private stock.

The difference though is that Private Stock will have much more exotic wood choices - hence you see Burls, Walnut or some other exotic woods - even Brazilian Rosewood necks - woods you can not get from their 'standard' ranges and by standard, I mean the 'standard' woods listed for the spec of each model. If you want a Custom 24 with a Mahogany/rosewood neck/fret board and Mahogany/Maple body, you can buy a regular non-10-top version or you could go to PRS and pick the Maple Cap, pick the rosewood fretboard, pick the Mahogany neck and body (inc different types like Ribbon for example), pick the inlays inc the Eagle on the Headstock and pitck the headstock veneer. You can pick the colour - even have a solid colour like a gold top. However all the woods would have been cured in the same way and you get a guitar built specifically for you with your choice of woods inc any exotic genus.

The main difference between the wood in the Private Stock Vault and the rest is aesthetic or type/genus.........

The difference though is that Private Stock will have much more exotic wood choices - hence you see Burls.....

I don’t get choosing a wood strictly for “genus,” (unless it’s for tone which is indeed a very good reason).

Case in point:
Some of the buckeye burl being used leaves me scratching my head. Don’t get me wrong. I’ve been a fan of good figured buckeye for years, have other brands with tops made with it, and a PS on the way. But some of it looks like it should have been left in the forest; too plain and/or too decayed.

And, once again, just my opinion and completely subjective. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.

Last edited:
The main difference between the wood in the Private Stock Vault and the rest is aesthetic or type/genus.

That’s true, except for the acoustics, where the wood, especially for the tops, needs to be tapped and really can be selected both for tone and beauty.

Back when PRS was still making a Core acoustic (which is when I bought my PS acoustic), it’s true there were different wood options, but the tone was a very big deal. Probably matters more in the case of an acoustic, though.

I should mention that I was going to go full-plain on my acoustic - no birds, no glam inlays around the top, just a clear finish - but at the last minute, with the advice of Paul and my dealer, went with moderately upscale trim and finish. In my case, it was a good choice just in case I ever decided to sell it (though there is no chance I’d do that).

Back