Is there much difference in sound between an A50E and an A60E?

Delamar

I have no possibility of testing them personally, I've listened to some YouTube videos but still not sure.

What interests me the most is a good unplugged sound, above other points. Does one really sound much better than the other?

I have no possibility of testing them personally, I've listened to some YouTube videos but still not sure.

What interests me the most is a good unplugged sound, above other points. Does one really sound much better than the other?

Sorry no one has answered your question as of yet. Yes, the A60E has a warmer, richer tone compared to the brighter tone maple side/back of the A50E. The ziricote lends a warmer sound (compare YT's PRS A60E and A50E with Bryan Ewald videos back to back). I think you'll agree.

It is my understanding that both models are built with “laminated” back and sides. The question is whether only the very thin outer layer of the laminate is maple or ziracote. Due to cost restrictions, I would assume, yes. If that is the case, and is the only difference between the two models, I wouldn’t think or expect there to be much variance in tone.

Last edited:
Just my totally amateur observations here because the question you are asking is exactly the same one I struggled with before finally settling with the brand new A60E that was just delivered to me here last week. I have to say immediately the ziracote is not only jaw dropping in appearance but the warmth and tone end exceptional projection of this setup is still taking me some getting used to. I am used to hollow-body setups - think flat-wounds and jazz - so I tend to have a habit of using those wonderful rainbows of overtone and maybe even feedback, but just using super hot Filtertron's made for rock'n'roll. I do it all with just fingers, no picks, so when I heard the Angelus series it really popped out at me because it seemed like it would translate well for finger stuff like I do and also bring a whole lot of projection to the game. Holy cow this thing is amazing with its ability to pick up very light subtle fingerings and voicings and throw them out of the hole with such character and warmth. I have to think the ziricote is a big part of that, but I lack resources: my 'local' guitar store is about 1,000 miles away from here. All I had was YouTube and factory vids but I can speak for the A60E specifically though not in a comparative qualitative way. I hope this helps. Whichever one you pick will be exceptionally good, I am sure.

Last edited:
I am certainly not an expert and my knowledge of wood qualities as they relate to tone are limited to what I have in my hand and can play and listen to. I only have my ear.
As you can see, I changed my post content. I thought the article from Taylor was interesting. According to this article, the builder says that veneer can "color the tone, but....." I doubt that it's enough to be perceived by my old ears.

"In the guitar world, laminate construction refers to thin layers of wood or other material that are bonded together, sometimes featuring an outer layer of exotic, visually appealing veneer."

"To be clear, the composite nature of layered wood back and sides won’t produce quite the same level of sonic detail as solid wood backs and sides will. 'The veneers will still color the tone, but the guitar becomes more of a reflection of the design,” Andy says. “But with HPL or other laminates, there are no sonic differences.'"

Last edited:
I will add that my el cheapo $500 Fender acoustic does throw sounds well too when I string it up with some EB aluminum bronze 13-56's - it's the go-to for corner busking for tourists. Obviously my beer-budget tastes for what I consider to be an incredible instrument at 'only' about $1000 do not compare to what the experts probably prefer and of which they can, more relevant to this discussion, qualify and quantify the differences. Sound is much nuanced and I personally rely on the expert opinions of people like you to steer me the right direction when I go looking for a guitar. PRS made me an incredible A60E and the ziricote is an amazing addition. For those looking to determine differences, I'm just a hillbilly sharing an opinion, but your knowledge is entirely more applicable.

Back