Is there ever a scenario where repair cost out ways the amp?

Whodat84

Dadbod model
I purchased an 81 blackface champ in October, really cool little amp but makes more of a hum than a normal single ended 6v6. I got it for around $500 but finally got it to a really good repair person and so far the repair cost is around $180 but could be more. Needs new tubes, filter cap and some resistors. Is there a point where the amp is too expensive to repair? I almost feel like just keeping the chassis and cabinet and doing a total rebuild. Thoughts?

That is a tough call. If you put the money into it the amp will last for a good while. You could go out and buy another one instead of putting the money into this one and then something goes wrong with that one next year and it needs money put into it now. As long as it didn't cost me double the value of the amp, I would probably pay to fix the one you have, especially if it is in good cosmetic condition.

Sounds like everything that needs replacing is due to normal use at that age. Fix it up and enjoy it for another 40 years. If there were some other issues that were intermittent, hard to troubleshoot or recurring I could see where at some point a person might want to give up and go with a different amp.

Yes but usually solid state. I have an ancient Marshall combo that would cost more to recap than it's worth. Most techs will let you know when the water gets too deep.

IMHO Tubes are maintenance so subtract the cost
You sent $500 for you don't fix it you are out many hundreds . because you should disclose the amp needs repair.
After the repair I'm thinking it's worth more than $500 if you decide to sell it.
for sub 1K I think your getting a nice platform to experiment with old school tone.

That’s the “return of the black face” version, and not the original 60s era black face amps so value is a bit less currently. Tubes and caps are certainly due after 40+ years! It’s not a hard thing to do if you’re handy inside an amp, but for ~$200 bucks I’d let someone else do it. You’re all in at $700, and you’ve got a fun amp. If you liked it enough to buy it, I’d say it’s worth it.

I’ve got a 1964 Super Reverb I did the same maintenance on 20 years ago, and it’s still rocking.

Back