Is there a way to id prs pickups...

URL=http://s738.photobucket.com/user/kennyarchey/media/Screenshot_2015-09-28-15-46-23_zpst55mbk1x.png.html]
Screenshot_2015-09-28-15-46-23_zpst55mbk1x.png
[/URL]

Here are pics of what I've got. I believe they are unstamped t&b's. Do you think that is correct?

Good post actually... how do you know if you buy a guitar or get work done on it... that the pickups you're getting are the originals...?

The only way to know (or make an educated guess) would be to measure the resistance and see how it matches up to this chart.

PRSpickup3.jpg

It could be an unmarked T&B, or the one of the Vintage set of the same era. I have them in my 88 CE24.
88pups.jpg

It could be an unmarked T&B, or the one of the Vintage set of the same era. I have them in my 88 CE24.
88pups.jpg

That was my guess as well. I bought them today off ebay. They were in prs boxes labeled dragon, but I don't believe they are dragons. My guess is someone pulled the t&b's out and put the dragons in.

I have a set just like those. I got them off of eBay as dragon 1s but they're not. The back plates have a grayish hue to them.

I sent them to ptc along with my ce24 and they said they are old prs pickups but not sure which. They also said the bridge pickup was in the HFS territory.

I'm really wanting to drop them in something.

They are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. PRS did a re-issue a while back. I think they sold well but everyone knew it was a limited run. I think the folks who were looking to put an old guitar back to original specs had the most interest. There is probably a market for yours for the same reason. As for being sought after for their sound, I think most folks agree that the new PRS offerings sound better.

Well the bridge pickup measured 15.2 and the neck only measured 5.6, so I figured it was broken. I took the pickup apart and found only one side had any wire around the bobbin. I guess it's a rare single coil humbucker sized pickup PRS did in the late 80's.

Well the bridge pickup measured 15.2 and the neck only measured 5.6, so I figured it was broken. I took the pickup apart and found only one side had any wire around the bobbin. I guess it's a rare single coil humbucker sized pickup PRS did in the late 80's.

Really? That would be cool to have.

Wasn't there some scuttle that Alex Lifeson was playing a CE with a single coil in the neck position but all of the pictures I've seen of him playing a PRS has hum buckers. Hmmmm……probably crap but you never know.

If it is a humbucker but only has one side wired, I'd bet it was altered by the owner.

It's mentioned in the prs book.
There was a humbucker-sized singlecoil in the PRS universe for a minute...but I cannot for the life of me remember where I read about it (one of those pickups popped up on Reverb a few months back though...)

They are out there. Pretty rare, but I think one coil is just not connected. Thought about getting one at some point but prices were too high for a gamble.

Back