Is there a way to have factory put Core Components in S2?

Bill Dockery

Want to go Core Custom 24-08, but the S2 custom 24-08 beveled edge feels incredible on my forearm.

Is there a way to request factory install of, at minimum, the Core 85/15 pickups (not the S's) and the upgraded bridge? (would love to change the tuning pegs, pots, and the nut, so if you know how that might be done also. Plus: why oh why are they not using stainless steel fret wires?)

Want to go Core Custom 24-08, but the S2 custom 24-08 beveled edge feels incredible on my forearm.

Is there a way to request factory install of, at minimum, the Core 85/15 pickups (not the S's) and the upgraded bridge? (would love to change the tuning pegs, pots, and the nut, so if you know how that might be done also. Plus: why oh why are they not using stainless steel fret wires?)
You could reach out to the PTC to see if they will do that. Not sure that the 85/15 pickups would be available for that. Haven't looked to see if they are available as an aftermarket purchase. You could find a used set on Ebay or Reverb and send them along with your guitar to have the PTC do the work. If you're asking if you can order a S2 24-08 with those things, that would be a no. As for the SS frets, Paul doesn't like them.

Since you like the S2 and it’s a good fit for you I would buy the guitar and play it for awhile. Give it a chance right out of the box. Like others have said you could replace the parts in it yourself, or use the PTC, another shop etc. There are many options for that. You may be surprised how the factory components hold up. Don’t get me wrong I change parts too all across the line but some PRSi I have are bone stock. Good luck on whatever you chose to do.

The only thing that I would change, getting an S2 again, would be pots and wiring. I always change pickups so that’s a given. But nothing wrong with the S2 nut or tuners really.

I have 2 S2 594's. As soon as I got them, I replaced the pots and switch. It's an easy job if you can use a soldering iron. I also tossed out those Korean pups and put Duncan Whole Lotta Humbuckers in. For about $300 each I have 2 great guitars. Don't look as pretty as my Cores, but I don't worry about dinging them. S2 tuners, bridge and tailpiece are same as Core.

the multi tap version for the 85/15 is hard to find. It’s my understanding the wiring is different than standard 85/15. Or coiled different to split with minimal volume loss. So swapping out those pickups would be hard. Maybe something like a Fralin Umbucker could help that could be purchased

If you're talking about the tone pots, They're not hard to find. I used Bourn push/pull pots and took the resistors off the original pots and re soldered them to the new pots.

No. Actual pickups are different on -08 models vs regular customs. At least my understanding

I would use PRS Core drop- in kits for the electronics, pups of you choice (way too many flavors to pick one here) and of course.... a #2040 MannMade USA bridge ;)

I would leave the tuners alone... IMHO they work just fine.

BTW... PRS does not offer options in new guitars straight from the factory. Also PTC has dramatically curtailed what they will accept for work. Here is the link to PTC / Customer Service

As others have noted, this is highly unlikely - PRS is just too busy, they don't even offer up the Artist Pack upgrade on Cores any more, IIRC.

As suggested, upgrade with the core electronics kit (pots, switches, wiring), get a Mann Made bridge, and maybe go third-party for different pickups - I know lots of people like the core PRS pups, but there are plenty of readily-available third-party pups out there that you might find to be very equivalent.

The nut is an easy and low-cost DIY swap. Tons of videos out there.

Tuners should be fine, I wouldn't swap them.

PRS doesn't seem to like using SS fret wire. The recent Joe Walsh 594 is the only instance I can think where they used it so publicly.

:D:D:D:D:D:D love those life lessons! if you have kids, I'll bet they behave!
Nah, one of ‘em rebelled and got a Fender endorsement to stick it to his dad.
So much for effective parenting, right?

Not only did I raise a Fender endorser, but I even posted one of his Fender ads here, which OF COURSE couldn't have been more WRONG!!! I'll admit it. I'm not only a TERRIBLE father, I'm also a TERRIBLE person.

Nonetheless...

I'm on a mission to convert this prodigal son and return him to the fold. He already has claimed dibs on the acoustic PS and the McCarty Singlecut. So I'm making inroads!! ;)

For the majority of you guy’s that are changing pots out on S2’s what value are you using?
Cts 500k from bareknuckles or Charles guitars

I've said it before but, given the price increase in s2, and what epiphone are doing, prs should put 57/08 in S2

Regardless you can upgrade for about $300, and it is an upgrade. Nothing wrong with nut tuners or bridge

Cts 500k from bareknuckles or Charles guitars

I've said it before but, given the price increase in s2, and what epiphone are doing, prs should put 57/08 in S2

Regardless you can upgrade for about $300, and it is an upgrade. Nothing wrong with nut tuners or bridge
Lol! They don’t even put ‘em in Cores very much.

It’s a shame they didn’t continue making the “S” version of 57/08s.

Back