Is there a pedal looper that works with the Archon

south89

I was just wondering if anyone out there has any experience or knowledge as to whether there is a pedal looper that works with the archon. I want to be able to switch between effects and channels with the push of just one button. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

disclaimer: I'm assuming the Archon uses an old run of the mill amp switching pedal.

American Looper. When you order one you have to tell them you want an amp mod and they ask you to email them to make sure it works with your amp.

I'd guess no, just because of the wiring. You could use 2 devices like the Voodoo Lab control switcher with a looper that has midi control.

Sorry, I just looked at the amp and realized the Footswitch is Midi. I emailed and asked them. They do have some loopers that send midi commands so well see what they say.

Sorry, I just looked at the amp and realized the Footswitch is Midi. I emailed and asked them. They do have some loopers that send midi commands so well see what they say.

While the connector looks like a MIDI connector, I don't think it actually is MIDI.

While the connector looks like a MIDI connector, I don't think it actually is MIDI.

That's the crux of the matter, If it is a simple midi in then it might be fine, If it's not and only works with the PRS pedal then you're pretty much out of luck, probably.

If that's the case then that's the dumbest thing I've heard of. A lot of amps have propriety switches to control them but they also have abilities to either control them with a couple classic switches, or midi, or both. If they don't have that ability then it really is PRS being obtuse and saying "You're using our amps and that's going to be it!" Surely with all the big guys they've got pimping this thing with Midi rigs it HAS to be either Midi control or there is an adapter some where. (which is equally as crappy)

It's not midi but is midi controllable with an external box. That's why you need something like the voodoo control switcher in between so you can assign midi command numbers to control the switching functions. I use the voodoo lab control switcher and gcx/ground control pro.

Voodoo lab makes an Archon custom cable for the control switcher as does RJM for their amp gizmo.

Here's the initial email I got back from PRS with the pertinant info on the switching:
Hi Vaughn,

Pin 1 is a +4.5VDC supply (used for the LEDs only).
Pin 2 connects to the channel switch relay.
Pin 3 is no connection.
Pin 4 is the -4.5VDC supply for the relays.
Pin 5 connects to the loop relay.

The pin numbers I have given are not the order of the pins from left to right, they are the pins as numbered on the jack. See link for reference --> http://freespace.virgin.net/tom.baldwin/pinout-5din.html.

In using an aftermarket switcher box, it is critical that the +4.5VDC and the -4.5VDC not be connected as this will cause damage to the amplifier that is not covered under warranty.

Regards,

Matt King
Paul Reed Smith Guitars
Customer Service
380 Log Canoe Circle
Stevensville, MD 21666
410-643-9970

Found this on the original thread about it. With the information provided, it seems that what they MIGHT be doing is taking the old school latch type for like an old Marshal or an old Orange, etc. and running both the the channel switch and loop switch in one connector. (A connector is a connector, a cable is a cable, it just depends on what you do with it.) Which brings up two possibilities, get a 5 pin din cable, like a midi cable, cut one end off, put some other ends on it and get something like the Voodoo Lab Controller Switch, or see if you can get you amp modified with just two quarter inch jacks to control those, like basically every other two channel amp ever made...

Midi sends actual data down the line (i.e. device 1 got to channel 16.1 (it's confusing I know but just know it's a small amout of data)). Old school ones are just basically a pedal switch and when you press it in it completes the circuit and that changes the thing you are trying to change (i.e. sending it to channel 2 or 3, turning on the effects loop, etc.) I'm thinking that this is what the Archon is doing, just with one cable and one connector. (This is what I was saying is pretty crappy, here buy a $2000 dollar amp and be limited on how you use it.

And before some one starts complaining about price, they had to design a special switch to use it this way, which probably cost more than just designing it in the "normal" way in the first place.

I say this because it looks like the way the pin out is is:
1. 4.5v for the LEDs on the switch
2. Channel switching
3. not used
4. Common ground (I know it says -4.5v, but that should be just a ground.)
5. Loop switching.

If you put 2 or 5 to 4 it I think it would send it switch the amp for you. And if you put 1 to 4 with no load in between you're going to over load the ground circuit and damage the amp.

Last edited:
Okay here's the email they sent me,

Hi Stephen,

We would have to make you a custom cable $50 and use two of the loops to control the Channel and Loop functions. That amp does not have MIDI capability, that connector in the back looks the same as a MIDI one but not MIDI.

Which pretty much confirms what I was saying...

Back