Is there a Knob recommendation for my Quatro for pulling up?

tip

img_8145_590.jpg

I see this one at crazy parts. I was wondering if there is a grippier knob to pull up easier?

I don't think we're allowed to discuss pulling on our slippery knobs, here.

Alright, yes we are, we discuss this all the time. Especially those of us who have outdoor gigs.

Last edited:
**not to be negative....but....
I've brought this up here many times. The lampshade knobs look classy, but they suck for push-pull.
I'm still amazed the perfectionist(s) at PRS haven't produced a better knob.
Heck, even Epiphone fixed this problem simply and cleanly a few years ago....

Replacement knobs are the nicest fix, but for a temp fix, I've seen guys wrap rubber bands around the knobs for grip, 2-4 wraps over, so they don't slip off and can grip better. Also, I think Dimebag guitars come with knobs that have had holes drilled into their sides to get a better grip...

I just raise the lampshade knob just a bit then I can get a finger on the bottom edge and pop it up

Just curious. I loves me some split coil tones on my PRS guitars but haven't yet run into the situation mid-song where I need to split coils with split second precision. Are you guys finding that that you are needing to split in a live setting mid song? Not saying that the concern isn't valid, but I'm just wondering what the circumstances are.

Are you guys finding that that you are needing to split in a live setting mid song? Not saying that the concern isn't valid, but I'm just wondering what the circumstances are.

Aristotle, as you know, I don't play out, I'm just a studio guy. But in order to get enough purchase on the knobs to pull up, even with dry hands, I often have to use a rubber jar lid gripper (that I keep in the studio) between my fingers and the knob.

I know, it's weird, but my finger strength isn't very good. The knobs aren't the best shape for being pulled up. I do appreciate the way they look, however.

If they simply incised a line around the circumference of the knob, or maybe added a very subtle lip around the top of the knob, I doubt I'd have to use the jar top gripper. In any case, it's not a deal breaker.

To add to what Les said above, a groove cut in and around the upper part of the knob for which an 1/8" O ring is set in. Problem solved.

Just curious. I loves me some split coil tones on my PRS guitars but haven't yet run into the situation mid-song where I need to split coils with split second precision. Are you guys finding that that you are needing to split in a live setting mid song? Not saying that the concern isn't valid, but I'm just wondering what the circumstances are.

Need to? No. And it's not actually live, although it could be one of these days, but when I play "Watermelon In Easter Hay", I bounce back and forth between single-coil and humbuckers. I've done the same on stuff that may be mixing an acoustic in, using the single-coil for the "acoustic" parts.

Gotcha. For Les, it hadn't occurred to me that it'd be a problem if you weren't in the heat of the moment, but I guess I do see that if you were having pincer problems it'd be a pain. For Alan, I guess I'm stuck in a coverband mentality. I gave the Zappa tune a listen (I'd never heard of it before actually). My first reaction was that it sounded like a strat throughout...but your greater point I think is that if the guitar offers the potential, and if your creative muse tells you that you should be splitting the coils in and out, then why not have a knob that lets you do it exactly when you want to.

All very enlightening to me. I was at practice this evening with the band and decided that I was going to find a song or two where adjusting the split mid-song would be good. Worked out fine, but the songs I picked wanted splits except for the solo, which seemed like it might accommodate humbucking mode. Entering into the solo, where the timing was shorter, just required hitting the knob with my palm, which was easy. Going back to split coil, there was more slop in the required timing, so I didn't notice it being difficult, but I could see where it might be.

I recorded the Zappa tune a while ago, but for the life of me, I have no idea if I changed between single-coils and humbuckers, and if I did, if it was played straight through or if I recorded each separately.

Lately, I've played the backing part into a looper and played over that. For that, it's one guitar and swapping modes on the fly. Much easier with the mini-toggle switches, but still eminently doable with the push-pull.

The original wasn't done like that - I'm not really comfortable with single-coils, so I wanted the buckers for the solo, at least.

Thanks for the great INFO.

I am not much of a stage musician lately but I used to be and when I jam I like to solo in single coil a bit with OD or Distortion.
My Quatro with the 53/10's have a very good pullup single sound with my Tone King Meteor II 20 and a pedal. It holds the sustain and has more clarity.

I might get the Ibanez knob, but the O ring groove sounds perfect. Keep the bottom knob PRS clear with an O ring!

$_58.JPG

Sure grip knobs from Ibanez? They come in black or gold. Nice tight rubber around the top edge.

Yes!!!! I have a lot of these both in black and gold! Best knobs for push-pull and old five way rotary switches!!

Back