Is there a fix yet for the MT15 noise/hum?

jisham

I'm reading more and more about the MT15 hum with nothing plugged in. I returned my first one to the dealer because of this issue and now my second arrived two days ago. It also has the noise although not as bad as my first one. While the amp's tones are amazing, it's not really useable for recording on the clean channel. On the Facebook MT15 group, post after post references the same issue with several others also returning their amps either to dealers or to PRS directly to get fixed. I'm just wondering if there's a known fix at this point before I decide what do next. Thanks.

All my amps hum with nothing plugged in (quite once a guitar is plugged in ) I have played 2 MT15s no noise issue that I noticed.
PTC is really good at sorting issues tho from my experience

All my amps hum with nothing plugged in (quite once a guitar is plugged in ) I have played 2 MT15s no noise issue that I noticed.
PTC is really good at sorting issues tho from my experience

That’s odd. None of my amps hum, whether something’s plugged in or not. I have two PRS amps, and one Mesa.

That’s it! Now I’m pissed! Everyone else is getting hum, and I’m getting nothing!

It could simply be a microphonic preamp tube. Shipping can sometimes be brutal for amps, especially if shipped via UPS (United Package Smashers). You might try one known good (not just new) 12AX7, trying it in each preamp position, one at a time. You could try grasping each preamp tube and see if the hum changes.

It’s not the tubes for me or anyone else who’s had to return theirs as well. They were the first things all of us checked.

Given the history of noise in the Archon, but then squishing that into a much smaller form factor, I'm not surprised. Hope it's not endemic to the amp, though.

Does PRS know about this?

replaced all tubes with new ones as the very first check. PRS knows about this via my dealer for sure and I just read where one guy has his coming back from PRS repair right now. His was noted as having a grounding issue in the FX loop.

Last edited:
I read PRS say swapping the 6L6s for 6v6s will help reduce/eliminate the hum.
I don't feel like buying New tubes for my new amp tho.
I've accepted the hum that my MT15 has. I don't record an although I do play low volume quite a bit, the hum seems to lessen and become not as apparent the longer I play it and longer the amp is on.

replaced all tubes with new ones as the very first check. PRS knows about this via my dealer for sure and I just read where one guy has his coming back from PRS repair right now. His was noted as having a grounding issue in the FX loop.
Bingo! Sounds like a realistic answer.

Where did you read that?
From a MT15 Facebook group posting

Sam Sturgeon

Hey everyone! Had the privilege of doing the factory tour last Thursday for the first time. It’s amazing! So here’s the mt 15 connection: Met Doug Sewell, the mastermind behind the mt 15. He’s an amazing guy and really knowledgeable. He basically told us that he put the contents of the archon (and it’s 5 stages of gain) into a lunch box size amp. The details Tremonti added to the table were aesthetics and the fine tuning of the dials and obviously the fact he wanted an affordable lunch box sized amp. With that said, if you have all those components so close together it MAY create a hum ...not always, though...as they were designed to be further appart so that there was no overlap of interaction between all it’s components. He had a few MT15’s on the bench he was looking at right then - not in a back room forgotten about as some had suggested. They are actively trying to figure out a solution. It was cool to see the guts of that monster amp. He also suggested to reduce noise if it is really bothersome, you can swap the tubes out for 6v6’s (I think is the one he suggested) and this will most likely fix the issue - a hack if you will.
Also it was neat to see the prototype of the MT112 cab. They tried with a red piping just between the cab and the mesh. Tremonti apparently said it looked too much like the bat mobile. Haha. Looks like the shipment of those cabs will be coming in end of August.

I don't have any hum in my 100w Archon but I have EL34's in it and I pick up a local church radio station when I crank the volume up real high.

Nothing new on this yet? I just got mine, and it has some idle hum when taken off standby with nothing plugged in...not super loud, but noticeable.

Back