Is there a fix yet for the MT15 noise/hum?

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by jisham, Aug 7, 2018.

1. desertdweller

desertdweller New Member

Bump!

Long time Mesa player, I received my first PRS amp today, the MT15, and I'm having the hum issue. For mine, it's not a tube, it's the effects loop.

When you plug a guitar into the input with nothing in the effects loop, the amp performs perfectly. The clean channel has zero noise. However even putting a patch cable in the effects loop elicits 60Hz hum immediately. Running anything in the loop, pedals, rack effects, other preamps, or just a cable = 60 Hz hum.

It's not a tube or the transformer, otherwise it would be making the noise with nothing in the loop. So is there a fix for this? The amp sounds amazing and this is a fix that would make the amp nearly perfect.

2. elvis

elvis Hamfisted String Banger

There is a very good chance that ther FX loop tube is bypassed when there is nothing in the loop. Try swapping V6, that is the FX loop tube.

3. desertdweller

desertdweller New Member

That is a very good ideal. Let me give that a shot.

4. desertdweller

desertdweller New Member

Just tried it, swapped out V6 for another 12ax7 I had here in the house, and it didn't fix the issue. So it's not tubes. I'm wondering if it's a bad ground in the effects loop or if there's an internal part causing interference.

5. elvis

The patch cable from FX send to return probably rules out external sources. It's possible that there is a loose ground connection in the FX loop circuit, I had that happen on two amps. But it seems consistent with the other amp owners' experience.

Best to contact PRS directly.

dmatthews likes this.
  6. Bill SAS 513

Bill SAS 513 Just another old guy in a T-shirt

Miscellaneous response, about other, but similar things...A couple people mentioned placing pads between the heads and cabinets, and Les' pucks, which look pretty cool.
    I have been folding up a Yoga mat (about $5.00 at the general store "5 Below") to put between my bass heads and cabs. But mostly due to limited space in my dungeon.

If you have room, most of what I've read states its better to keep heads off of their cabinets, as to minimize the vibrations, as Tubes can be very sensitive, especially when warmed up.

PRS has always been good about fixing issues, so I assume they will be doing something to correct the ongoing MT-15 issues.

bodia likes this.
  7. desertdweller

desertdweller New Member

SO here's an oddity. When I use the FX loop on the MT15 with a speaker cabinet, I get the 60 Hz hum immediately, however when I run the output to a Torpedo Captor and into my PC, no hum from the FX loop.

I'm stumped. I guess it's awesome for recording and would be fine at a gig, but lower moderate volume playing gets the hum.

8. elvis

That IS weird