Is there a difference between the '12 PRS SE Angelus Custom and later year models?

omega1

I am considering buying a new 2012 SE Angelus Custom that a local shop has in stock. They are asking ~$950. I am currently working in Asia so there is going to be a mark up compared to US prices. I posted over in AGF but I'll ask the same question here...what is a fair price for a new old stock '12 SE Angelus Custom and is there a difference between the 2012 model and the 2013-2015 models? I've seen a comment that 2013-2015 are the years to get but I haven't found anything online that describes the differences or states the reasons why. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Actually, I've heard that the 2012's are the best. Only thing that matters is how do you feel when you play it. Good luck and enjoy

Forum rules ask that we not discuss pricing.

The SE Angelus models were very consistent over the range of their production and I'm confident you'll find any year comfortable to play and beautifully made. I had no problem ordering mine sight unseen.

I have a '12 Angelus Custom. I'm not sure how it would differ from the newer ones but it doesn't matter. It's staying.

Not sure if this is accurate info but I heard that the 2012 that I have ,has solid rosewood back and sides and the newer ones only have rosewood laminate back and sides. When I look in the sound hole the wood inside is definitely solid rosewood. Also the pickup is on the outside not in the sound hole. Can anyone confirm?

Not sure if this is accurate info but I heard that the 2012 that I have ,has solid rosewood back and sides and the newer ones only have rosewood laminate back and sides. When I look in the sound hole the wood inside is definitely solid rosewood. Also the pickup is on the outside not in the sound hole. Can anyone confirm?
The discontinued model called "SE Angelus Custom" is indeed different from the current model SE A30E in those regards. As far as I know, if the guitar is called "SE Angelus Custom" it has solid RW back (I think the side have to laminate in order to curve as such), and it has external controls & battery slot on the upper bout.

And I have heard nothing about any of the production years of the SE Angelus Custom having any differentiation. It is possible there were non-electric models in the first year (i.e. no piezo pickup, no controls, no battery) and that the later years were all electric, but that is speculation on my part.

And replying to myself, I just found this by searching the PRS product site:

Announced in September 2011, the PRS SE Angelus Standard and Custom models are made with high-quality components, including a solid back and solid spruce top, a bone nut and saddle, and PRS SE designed tuners. A PRS pickup system will be an added option on the SE Angelus models in 2012, highlighting the instruments’ rich, resonant, and responsive tone. The PRS pickup system is an under-saddle design with three bands of EQ and an anti-feedback loop. The pickup uses one 9-volt battery for power.

it doesn't directly address whether the piezo was the only option later on, but it makes it clear the piezo wasn't available at first.

Back