IS THE USED MARKET DEAD?

I use eBay, Reverb, The Gear Page, and Vintage Rocker mostly. I've listed on lots of other sites, but haven't really sold much on them.
Thanks Brad. I hadn't see the reverb site previously.

I currently own three PRS guitars, a Mira Korina, a one-off CU24, and a stunning MC58. I have thought about selling my one-off CU24 several times, but I am not taking a 50% hit on a low use, one of a kind guitar. I do not need the money. Plus, I would more than likely have seller's regret.

Steve, it comes down to supply and demand. Maybe there is demand but you're not advertising sufficiently to reach the demand market. Or, perhaps you need to create the demand market. If you donated some of these incredible works of art to a Guitar Library, members could borrow them for a while to learn the characteristics of these distinctive pieces.

For instance, guys who've never played perny or coco necks might be reluctant to drop PS coin on one, but if your Guitar Library gets them hooked on the crack, you win in the long run, despite the initial write-down. Another example would be guys who are bored with the core line and are placing custom shop orders to other vendors instead of borrowing from your library to broaden their tonal palettes.

This may sound facetious, but when PRSh travels around to put his personal guitar in the hands of everyone in the room, it's like a library, albeit with a short loan time. Similarly, Experience allows many people to sample product for which they normally wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity.

Perhaps you'd structure a membership fee that would offset you not selling them outright.

Just sayin', just sayin'... :flute:

I find that the used market is a bit of the worst of both worlds. Most sellers want too much, most buyers want to pay too little. You've got to find the sweet spot!

Market is dead here in UK/Europe.
Regardless, I bought both mine brand new as I've yet to see other PRS with the same features that look so good.
I bought for near £3k each and would be lucky to get £2k each.

On the other hand, battered Gibsons go for loads :s

That's the truth. Even the recycling guy wouldn't even take my dbx mic pre's.

I'll take em! :) Actually, what I need is a couple of nice compressors. But like so many, don't have much disposable income right now.

As for the market, I think 11tops guitars are just in a different category and the very high end market is just a lot smaller. From what I've seen, and I check all the used sites way too much, the ones Steve has listed are all very good deals, so I don't think it's a price issue. Maybe this high end market are the same people that play the stock market. If so, they have taken a real beating this year, I know my 401K has.

Last edited:
I'll take em! :) Actually, what I need is a couple of nice compressors. But like so many, don't have much disposable income right now.

Sold. Speaking of disposable income, I'll accept a few sheets of garbage stickers for them.

Honestly, I blame two things. The indie music movement, and GC letting PRS go. People who play/love indie rock HATE PRS and think of them as too mainstream and for old men collectors and modern rock/metal guys, which is total BS. Sadly though, the people who play this music tend to have deep pockets and go for the pawnshop type instruments.
And then there's GC who blew out tons of PRS instruments this past year for fairly low prices. You had a lot of players, and people who went and picked these up with the hopes of turning them around for a profit. Over saturation of good stuff.

People who play/love indie rock HATE PRS and think of them as too mainstream and for old men collectors and modern rock/metal guys, which is total BS.

You are right. I have protested this attitude for years. The irony is that a lot of the indie rock guys are now what they would have considered to be old men only a few years ago! ;)

When my son first went to LA and started working on sessions, he'd pull out the CU22 Soapbar I bought him years ago, and he'd be told, "Oh man, we're not doing metal, have you got a different guitar?"

And he'd scratch his head, since the Soapy wasn't a metal guitar at all!

I wound up buying the guitar off him because it was too good to sit in a case. But he, too, got caught up in that whole "have the right vibe" stage look thing. Pisses me off to this very day!! He'll admit that my PRSes sound amazing, and are incredible to play, but when he announced his upcoming tour, I offered him one of my guitars as a gift. And he said to keep it because he didn't know where he'd be able to play it!

That's just wrong. Can you tell I'm ticked off? ;)

Last edited:
Honestly, I blame two things. The indie music movement, and GC letting PRS go. People who play/love indie rock HATE PRS and think of them as too mainstream and for old men collectors and modern rock/metal guys, which is total BS. Sadly though, the people who play this music tend to have deep pockets and go for the pawnshop type instruments.
And then there's GC who blew out tons of PRS instruments this past year for fairly low prices. You had a lot of players, and people who went and picked these up with the hopes of turning them around for a profit. Over saturation of good stuff.

You are right. I have protested this attitude for years. The irony is that a lot of the indie rock guys are now what they would have considered to be old men only a few years ago! ;)

When my son first went to LA and started working on sessions, he'd pull out the CU22 Soapbar I bought him years ago, and he'd be told, "Oh man, we're not doing metal, have you got a different guitar?"

I wound up buying the guitar off him because it was too good to sit in a case. But he, too, got caught up in that whole "have the right vibe" stage look thing. Pisses me off to this very day!! He'll admit that my PRSes sound amazing, and are incredible to play, but when he announced his upcoming tour, I offered him one of my guitars as a gift. And he said to keep it because he didn't know where he'd be able to play it!

That thinking played a large part in getting my KL33. With the unplated trem and wonky pickup ring it looks kinda junky so I can sneak it past most of the reverse-snobby indie rock dudes.

PRS, "Heavy Metal Guitars"? How do I laugh and scoff at the same time? PRS guitars have WAY more tone than you actually need for Heavy Metal! But thankfully, there is no rule that says you can't use a world class instrument which is dripping in tone for playing a bunch of caveman simple, head banging Heavy Metal. To do so is complete overkill but I do that all the time. Heck, my middle name is overkill. hahaha But anytime I want, I know I can play clean blues, country, jazz, classical tone anytime I want. I just happen to prefer Heavy Metal but PRS guitars are incredible!

I love MEGADETH but have you ever listened to Dave Mustaine's signature model pickups or the actual guitar tone that comes through on the records? Thin and tinny. Yuck. If I were to play those same songs with better guitars and amps (which I have plenty of) those songs would sound a whole lot better. Hell, ALL of my favorite groups would sound better if they used PRS guitars. I should shut up now, I'm starting to ramble.

I currently have a Jackson Phil Collen up for bid on Evil-Bay.

I have 186 views, & only 14 watchers, hope a couple of them are bidders.

One day and 5 hrs. to go, crossing fingers.

I sold a couple peals last week and took a bath.

I put a few things up on Craigslist & the forums. I sold one gtr in a week. 2 others are getting some bites but no takers yet. All the ones I have up are in the $1800-2100 range. No really high end gtrs. I do think the market has an ebb & flow to it. Tax time & Christmas always seem to big buy times.

Back