Is the Ted is a true LP killer?

Maybe it’s the pickups and scale but I’m finding my Ted 245 to do smooth and creamy all night long. It can definitely twang too but with no ice pick highs at all. Is it the 57/08s ? I can increase the treble and presence when using this guitar.

My Pauls can get raunchy and have more cut. Hard to explain. I think of LPs in 2 ways. Can do tele on steroids tones with brighter pickups, or more midrange tones like Allman Bros and old ZZ TOP with darker pickups or tone dialed back.

"I dropped a DiMarzio SD 1 into my Srat and I love it!"
Next time, buy one of these and keep the Strat a Strat."

uRINjfP.jpg

EBMM Steve Morse Y2D. I certainly enjoy mine
My DGT and Les Paul get more playing time though.

If your Ted is a singlecut, then no I would not trade it for a LP. Especially since you have the 57/08 pickups in it--I personally find that combination (PRS singlecut body, 24.5 scale, and 57/08 pickups) to be a legit "LP killer" setup.

I've got exactly that and I am surprised how much I like this guitar. My brain tells me I should like a different body style with layout of pickups and controls but I REALLY REALLY like this guitar.

Officially it is called a PRS SC245 Singlecut (and it does have 57/08 pickups in it). But this same year that it was made they also had a model with identical specs called a Stripped 58.

PRS-2013_SC245RedBurst2730.jpg

I've got exactly that and I am surprised how much I like this guitar. My brain tells me I should like a different body style with layout of pickups and controls but I REALLY REALLY like this guitar.

Officially it is called a PRS SC245 Singlecut (and it does have 57/08 pickups in it). But this same year that it was made they also had a model with identical specs called a Stripped 58.

PRS-2013_SC245RedBurst2730.jpg

I don't usually favor red guitars but that is absolutely stunning! WOW!

As someone with a 594, SC250, several LPs including a 57/08 equipped LP. It's hard to say one kills another. A LOT depends on how you play the guitar.

Reading your post...I recommend waiting to get the SC594...(if you can get the Gibson for a good price you might recoup your money later on before buying the PRS). I say this because you've recognized the differences that highlight PRS guitars when you played your buddy's Gibsons. The SC594 is the PRS LP guitar...and it WILL absolutely deliver the goods in a PRS fashion.

This. They're really going to be different guitars based on how you play and what sound you're going for unless you put the same pickups in all of them. I have both the SC594 and DC594 along with a Les Paul Traditional. I don't play the LP that much as I prefer the 594s, but it really has more to do with the feel and weight of the guitars. The 594s will be lighter and both will have better upper fret access (especially doublecut). I didn't like the Les Paul's Classic Pickup at first, but they have grown on me. I have a Bareknuckle Holy Diver in the DC594 and Seymour Duncan JB in the SC594, so they're completely different beasts.

I think the LP has more low end than either the 594s, but I'd rather take the comfort and playability over that.

This. They're really going to be different guitars based on how you play and what sound you're going for unless you put the same pickups in all of them. I have both the SC594 and DC594 along with a Les Paul Traditional. I don't play the LP that much as I prefer the 594s, but it really has more to do with the feel and weight of the guitars. The 594s will be lighter and both will have better upper fret access (especially doublecut). I didn't like the Les Paul's Classic Pickup at first, but they have grown on me. I have a Bareknuckle Holy Diver in the DC594 and Seymour Duncan JB in the SC594, so they're completely different beasts.

I think the LP has more low end than either the 594s, but I'd rather take the comfort and playability over that.

That singlecut is gorgeous

I believe ( just a guess mind you ) the thinner body , easier upper fret access. It was a bit less boomy to my ears also
I love the look of the single cuts, because, well you know... they have the look of that classic guitar we all grew up wanting. But, the double cut is “The PRS look.” And while maybe not as iconic, the PRS is what I love more, so I’m torn on this as I look at 594 models. I’d want the tone to decide and hear the SC is a bit more in the LP range, tonally. If it wasn’t I’d go DC without a second thought. But many say it is a bit closer to LP tone, and since I don’t have a Les Paul, I do want something like that. And, I do love that look. But the regular PRS DC look has become my favorite.

Speaking of Santanas... I'm pretty sure the rare DC22 (Santana body, stoptail bridge, and 59/09 pickups) would be the most "LP killer" guitar that PRS had ever done--at least, prior to releasing the SC594, that is. I've gotta get me one of them.
Me too.. Although I just bought myself a John Mann Wood Library DGT @7.5 lbs. and I have to say that after playing LP’s for many years, this DGT is a breath of fresh air.. the sustain is just unreal and has very balanced frequencies and I can finally play comfortably up very high on the neck…the tone reminds me of my 90’s Goldtop McCarty in many ways.. (never should of sold that one!) but it’s interesting to see and feel just how much Paul has fine tuned his guitars over the years
I picked it out from about 12 different DGT’s and 594’s. This guitar just has IT…
The SC594’s were close or better than my LP’s , but I was looking for a guitar that wasn’t so bottom heavy. The DGT pickups are punchy and very full, like overwound PAF’s but with way more clarity….their awesome single coil tones are almost as loud as the full humbucker sounds.. don’t ask me how Paul figured that out!

Last edited:
….their awesome single coil tones are almost as loud as the full humbucker sounds.. don’t ask me how Paul figured that out!

Like this?

I know I’ve posted this a couple of times before, but I love the SC tones that Rob gets put together this guitar, from a split HB.

I have a signature Tremonti and to me that is most certainly an LP killer.

Back