Is the Ted is a true LP killer?

Tim Pierce had Howard Leese as a guest on his YouTube show, and they compared (and recorded) Howard's 1959 Les Pauls along with new PRS models when the TCI pickups came out.

The results were pretty interesting, in fact, I'd say a bit surprising. You can hear them for yourself. No need to get a bunch of opinions from internet folks whose opinions may or may not match your playing style and sonic preferences - your ears will answer your questions.

This first video is actually not the one I was looking for but he does start the AB in the first video on one of Howard's '59s:

This is the video I was referring to:

Last edited:
Tim Pierce had Howard Leese as a guest on his YouTube show, and they compared (and recorded) Howard's 1959 Les Pauls along with new PRS models when the TCI pickups came out.

The results were pretty interesting, in fact, I'd say a bit surprising. You can hear them for yourself. No need to get a bunch of opinions from internet folks whose opinions may or may not match your playing style and sonic preferences - your ears will answer your questions.

This first video is actually not the one I was looking for but he does start the AB in the first video on one of Howard's '59s:

This is the video I was referring to:

Ehhh. WTF does Howard and Tim know that can’t be disproved by a chorus of dudes on MyLesPaul or TGP?

I have an SG with ThroBak T Top Humbuckers, a recent LP TV Special, a LP JR 3/4 size from the late 50s, and a McCarty Double Cut Gold Top with Soap Bars.

I end up playing my Tele most of the time, but just had my Paisley PRS H head serviced. It's in the living room with the McCarty.

Ya never know.

In that shootout vid, at least to my ears, the LP is still king and it's not really all that close to me. If I have a complaint about PRS pickups, they are too neutral with the EQ. Both positions in the LP really have that singing quality and depth that the PRS lacks to some extent. Not saying the PRS pickups are bad but, too smooth is how I characterize them. It was the same with the 85/15s I had in my old CE that I ended up selling. That really runs contrary to older PRS pickups, especially the HFS which had that JB-like pronounced upper midrange. That was a love it or hate it pickup but that thing sure cut through and was a pretty good lead pickup. PRS pickups nowadays are too tame for me.

Why would you get one and modify it to sound like another
when the real thing is readily available?

Buying a new guitar and modding it to sound like one you already have?
I honestly don't see the purpose in that.

If you want an LP sound, go get an LP.
Same for the rest of them.

"I dropped a DiMarzio SD 1 into my Srat and I love it!"
"Guess what. You no longer have a Strat.
Next time, buy one of these and keep the Strat a Strat."

uRINjfP.jpg

PRS guitars sound like PRS guitars.
Les Pauls sound like Les Pauls.
Stratocasters sound like Stratocasters.
SGs sound like SGs
Telecasters sound like Telecasters..
ES 335/345/355s sound like...

Etc.

Last edited:
In that shootout vid, at least to my ears, the LP is still king and it's not really all that close to me. If I have a complaint about PRS pickups, they are too neutral with the EQ. Both positions in the LP really have that singing quality and depth that the PRS lacks to some extent. Not saying the PRS pickups are bad but, too smooth is how I characterize them. It was the same with the 85/15s I had in my old CE that I ended up selling. That really runs contrary to older PRS pickups, especially the HFS which had that JB-like pronounced upper midrange. That was a love it or hate it pickup but that thing sure cut through and was a pretty good lead pickup. PRS pickups nowadays are too tame for me.

It's good to hear both types of guitar back-to-back in the video. I think there are some differences, too, but what's surprising to me isn't that the guitars sound a bit different - I think they should sound different for a variety of reasons.

It's that the LPs were the real 1959s, whose wood has aged for 62 years, compared to some brand-new stuff from PRS.

I think the new guitars held their own compared with the vintage guitars. I've owned a1965 SG Special since 1967. I'm pretty familiar with what the wood aging process seems to do for a guitar's sound. PRS' set-neck guitars have always given me something that reminds me of the vintage stuff in certain ways, though of course the PRS tone is different.

I think there's room to have both. The more even PRS frequency balance appeals to me, and always has - I think I have a better shot at having a PRS sit in a track just right for that reason, and it's easier to EQ, etc. However, these choices are personal, and there's no right or wrong. It's all a matter of what appeals to the player.

I should mention that currently the SG resides with my son, because I just don't play it often any more.

I love the Aldrich pickups you mentioned in an earlier post. And, when I owned an R8 and a 2015 AP Santana I was shocked at how much grunt the Santana had. So much so that I sold the R8.

Why would you get one and modify it to sound like another
when the real thing is readily available?

Buying a new guitar and modding it to sound like one you already have?
I honestly don't see the purpose in that.

If you want an LP sound, go get an LP.
Same for the rest of them.

"I dropped a DiMarzio SD 1 into my Srat and I love it!"
"Guess what. You no longer have a Strat.
Next time, buy one of these and keep the Strat a Strat."

uRINjfP.jpg

PRS guitars sound like PRS guitars.
Les Pauls sound like Les Pauls.
Stratocasters sound like Stratocasters.
SGs sound like SGs
Telecasters sound like Telecasters..
ES 335/345/355s sound like...

Etc.
Don't get me wrong, I loved the sound of this particular GT but to my ears it sounds very close to the TED
so changing the pickups (maybe) just to have another flavor
a smooth toned TED and a raunchy (at least the bridge pup) LP.

As someone with a 594, SC250, several LPs including a 57/08 equipped LP. It's hard to say one kills another. A LOT depends on how you play the guitar.

Reading your post...I recommend waiting to get the SC594...(if you can get the Gibson for a good price you might recoup your money later on before buying the PRS). I say this because you've recognized the differences that highlight PRS guitars when you played your buddy's Gibsons. The SC594 is the PRS LP guitar...and it WILL absolutely deliver the goods in a PRS fashion.

I find PRS guitars to be consistent enough to buy from afar, but I doubt I’ll buy a Gibson LP again w/o trying in advance.

I agree with your statement regarding all PRS guitars, but I have had a number of R9s and (CS) Customs built since 2013, and the quality and consistency has not been an issue. Every one has been top notch and met my high expectations. And, they have all been 8 1/2 pounds or less (non-chambered) and stay in tune. I have no problem buying a late model LP from the Gibson Custom Shop without trying it in advance. On the other hand, unlike PRS, I wouldn't buy a non custom shop Gibson without trying it first.

Tough call! They’re both in same ballpark but they are different and you may play differently on a LP vs. Ted.

The LP has the flatter radius neck, and I agree that pickup options could make it interesting to have both! I’m lucky enough to currently have both and enjoy the differences.

Since my last post I've recently acquired a SC58. Although not a TED, I have found myself on multiple occasions wondering why have my Les Paul at all anymore, and I've already started the wheel in motion to unload my favorite import LP. Is the Gibson next? I've even caught myself thinking to pickup another PRS SC. What I haven't done is look at a single Les Paul with any desire to buy. It's pretty refreshing to walk into a music store and no longer feel the need to look at Les Paul's.

I had a '57 Historic Goldtop that was my number one for many years. When I got my 594 DC I didn't touch the Gibson. I kept it awhile just to be certain and finally broke down and sold it with the market being what it is. So to answer your question, my McCarty killed my LP.
Right now I am in the same “wait and see” time frame. My back is shot and I can’t play my goldtop R7 standing up for more than 15 minutes - and it’s lighter than my R9, which I have barely touched in the past 3 years.

I just got an SE Custom 24-08, and to my ears it sounds better than my Gibsons. And I can stand for a good hour! That’s a big game changer for me. I put my ES-335 up for consignment last week, it’s even heavier up than the LPs. I’m looking at the SE HB2 w/ piezo in blue, it’s even lighter than the Custom.

I’ve been playing LPs for just shy of 50 years so it takes a lot to pull me away. I had an SE 245 7 years ago that I couldn’t bond with, so I wasn’t in the market for PRS. But right now I feel like I have made the switch and am glad for it. We’ll see how I feel in a few weeks, but I’m ready to get rid of the R9 right now. My wife wants to take a drive up to Dave’s Guitars to see their stock and work out a trade. You know the worth of an immaculate ‘06 R9, I could probably get 3-4 SEs for that R9.

They are different voicings. One doesn’t kill the other. They are just different.

And my reference is a 59 custom. I find both to be great.

Most every guitar can bring something to the table, for ME, Gibsons and to some extent all shorter scale guitars are tough for me to love.
I do have one LP and I do love it. It is a killer rhythm guitar , The 594 is a great instrument but I like my SCT more than the 594s I have played ( longer scale likely )
interesting that on one of our shootouts I liked the double cut 594 better than the single cut.

Back