Is the Ted is a true LP killer?

g.wizz

Nabs
Hello all...I love my Ted and enjoy playing it daily, I never owned a LP or an SG although I'm dreaming of a 594SC just to add another flavor.

but unfortunately with the miserable situation in my country (Lebanon) currently I can't wire money or ship safely.

A friend of mine has a 2013 SG and a 2017 LP Gold top with burstbuckers III (I think), in excellent condition
I tried both, although I favor the LP to the SG but my Ted with 57/08's, trumps them every time with playability
resonance, tuning stability and TONE, although their tones are not too shabby, their close but no cigar.

Should I forget about it and bide my time to get a 594? Or a pickup swap to the LP (which I favor more than the SG) could make it more aggressive and raunchier so I add another tone to the palette and they can co-exist in harmony?

I appreciate any suggestions that you can offer, thx.

I'll always have a LP and SG. They are two different iconic guitars to me. I wouldn't have a collection of them, but I grab and play them on a regular basis. I'd personally get the one you prefer now and when things open up move it if you don't like it.

If your Ted is a singlecut, then no I would not trade it for a LP. Especially since you have the 57/08 pickups in it--I personally find that combination (PRS singlecut body, 24.5 scale, and 57/08 pickups) to be a legit "LP killer" setup.

Now, if it's the double-cut typical PRS-shaped McCarty body... then it's a close call. I still think that my (regular non-594) McCarty with 57/08 pickups is one of the best guitars ever produced. Yes technically if you compare it head-to-head with a singlecut-bodied guitar (PRS singlecut OR Les Paul) it won't have as much "oomph" in the low-end, but it's a fractional difference and really up to personal taste in my opinion. In fact, didn't PRS beat out a '59 Les Paul in a shootout at the 2010 Dallas International Guitar Show with his regular McCarty model (double-cut body with 57/08 pickups)? That says something right there.

If your Ted is a singlecut, then no I would not trade it for a LP. Especially since you have the 57/08 pickups in it--I personally find that combination (PRS singlecut body, 24.5 scale, and 57/08 pickups) to be a legit "LP killer" setup.

Now, if it's the double-cut typical PRS-shaped McCarty body... then it's a close call. I still think that my (regular non-594) McCarty with 57/08 pickups is one of the best guitars ever produced. Yes technically if you compare it head-to-head with a singlecut-bodied guitar (PRS singlecut OR Les Paul) it won't have as much "oomph" in the low-end, but it's a fractional difference and really up to personal taste in my opinion. In fact, didn't PRS beat out a '59 Les Paul in a shootout at the 2010 Dallas International Guitar Show with his regular McCarty model (double-cut body with 57/08 pickups)? That says something right there.
The Ted is not for trade, it'sa keeper for life.

IMHO, they're too close to be worth considering. But I have a favourite humbucker so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I think what you should do is define not what you are looking for in a next guitar, but what is missing from your current stable, and use that to drive future purchase decisions.

Or just keep the money and practice/play/take lessons instead. The tone is in the fingers, and in the amp. Mostly.

IMHO, they're too close to be worth considering. But I have a favourite humbucker so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I think what you should do is define not what you are looking for in a next guitar, but what is missing from your current stable, and use that to drive future purchase decisions.

Or just keep the money and practice/play/take lessons instead. The tone is in the fingers, and in the amp. Mostly.
Actually, I think I need to veere from vintage tone in the LP since it's covered with the Ted, so from burstbuckers to Aldrich maybe?

Personally...
My '15 Santana is an LP Killer.
My '89 Yamaha Image Custom is an LP Killer.

YET here I am with 6 Les Pauls... :rolleyes:

Not sure what my point is exactly, but LP Killer or not, doesn't mean you can't have both. Also, there are (losing count) about 6 more guitars that are NOT LP Killers (including a CE24 Standard) and yet they can do what LPs can't.

52-jpg.564895

Speaking of Santanas... I'm pretty sure the rare DC22 (Santana body, stoptail bridge, and 59/09 pickups) would be the most "LP killer" guitar that PRS had ever done--at least, prior to releasing the SC594, that is. I've gotta get me one of them.

Nabil, I’ve got both a Gibson R7 and R6, but these days you’ll hear me making most of my noise via an ‘08 SC245 (with stock pickups!)

As I get older the relative comfort of the SC245 vs the comparatively cumbersome feel of the Gibsons becomes a factor that is hard to ignore. I think the SC245 could be improved with different pickups and I’ll be making a move in that regard soon. I did find replacing the stock PRS one piece bridge and tailpiece studs with a Mann 2300 adjustable bridge and Schroeder locking tailpiece studs to be a meaningful improvement, clarity w/o brightness and better sustain. If you think smaller $$ items are worth the shipping & theft risks you might try that with your TED.

I find PRS guitars to be consistent enough to buy from afar, but I doubt I’ll buy a Gibson LP again w/o trying in advance.

The McCarty SC594s look like killer guitars and I probably would have gone for one, but I suspect with different pickups the SC245 will eclipse my needs and any extra cash can be funneled into lessons where in my case most of the improvements can be found!

I hope you and the family are well! I know things are tough over there, please stay safe brother!

Nabil, I’ve got both a Gibson R7 and R6, but these days you’ll hear me making most of my noise via an ‘08 SC245 (with stock pickups!)

As I get older the relative comfort of the SC245 vs the comparatively cumbersome feel of the Gibsons becomes a factor that is hard to ignore. I think the SC245 could be improved with different pickups and I’ll be making a move in that regard soon. I did find replacing the stock PRS one piece bridge and tailpiece studs with a Mann 2300 adjustable bridge and Schroeder locking tailpiece studs to be a meaningful improvement, clarity w/o brightness and better sustain. If you think smaller $$ items are worth the shipping & theft risks you might try that with your TED.

I find PRS guitars to be consistent enough to buy from afar, but I doubt I’ll buy a Gibson LP again w/o trying in advance.

The McCarty SC594s look like killer guitars and I probably would have gone for one, but I suspect with different pickups the SC245 will eclipse my needs and any extra cash can be funneled into lessons where in my case most of the improvements can be found!

I hope you and the family are well! I know things are tough over there, please stay safe brother!

Great to hear from you dear Tom, all is well, I'm working from home, hope all things is fine and safe for you and the missus.
You're 100% right about the weight issue and this LP is weight relieved too and still so heavy compared to my sweet TED

Since the prices are up across the board, I'll look for a used SC245 or SC58 and take my chance in shipping it, once the situation
improve somewhat here, we'll see.

If you really want another guitar and you like the way the Les Paul feels to play, then I'd get it and swap pickups until you're happy with how it sounds.

But if the weight, tuning stability, neck profile, frets, body contours, bridge type, or anything else like that bothers you about it then I don't think it's worth getting.

If your options are limited then you have to work with what you've got. I don't think I'll ever own a Gibson. The brand doesn't interest me. But I live in the United States and have tons of guitars available to me. If a Gibson was what was available, I'd absolutely get it, rock it, and love it.

After years of paying close attention to the inherent tone of these guitars, I have not encountered anything to this day that matches the Gibson Custom Shop R9’s and R8’s in terms of woodiness and clarity. The odd PRS I have, a guitar here and a guitar there, may match or even surpass these LP’s, but not on a consistent basis.

So nothing is an LP killer, if you’re comparing to their custom shop reissue guitars. I suspect it’s the wood, either the species used (genuine mahogany or Swietenia macrophylla), or their drying technique, or both. The LP is a thing on its own and I respect that. I give credit where due.

However that particular LP thing does become one-dimensional after a while. Every one of those guitars more or less sound the same, and look the same. It’s grunt grunt grunt, burst burst burst.

You then realise you need something with some of those LP qualities, yet more subtle, with more variation in tone, and not so “balls out in your face”. With different woods, colours, inlays.

That’s where I appreciate my PRS guitars! They are like the best of everything combined!

Last edited:
Back