Is the Mira being discontinued?

Detroiter711

Quick question: I know it is still on the PRS website, but is the Mira being discontinued? Most of the online retailers don't have any in stock. Are they just running short on the inventory? Great guitar, I hope it is still in the core lineup.

PRS Europe posted on their Facebook page earlier this year that the Starla was not going to be in next year's catalogue... I think the post was deleted though. Not sure if because untrue or if PRS doesn't want that info getting out until it's time.

Not sure about the Mira though, have heard nothing...

I was sad to see the maple top go. I absolutely love my hog, with 57/08s. It is a total classic rock machine. Hope they stay in the lineup.

It seems as if the core line version of both the Mira and the Starla are both being discontinued now that the S2 version are out. Decisions, Decisions...

I love my Mira, but as I said on the other thread, the 22 fret 25" scale mahogany Mira was something I wanted as soon as I saw the original Mira in 2007.

According to the PRS website, the core line Mira has been discontinued in favour of the S2 Mira (http://prsguitars.com/mira/).

Personally I'm hoping for an updated core line Mira or something in the 2014 catalogue, because the flattened curves of the S2 are ugly to me. I like the nice, round curviness of the core line Mira, and the pickguard on the core line Mira looks significantly better. To me the core line Mira is so aesthetically pleasing that it's worth the extra money.

According to the PRS website, the core line Mira has been discontinued in favour of the S2 Mira (http://prsguitars.com/mira/).

Personally I'm hoping for an updated core line Mira or something in the 2014 catalogue, because the flattened curves of the S2 are ugly to me. I like the nice, round curviness of the core line Mira, and the pickguard on the core line Mira looks significantly better. To me the core line Mira is so aesthetically pleasing that it's worth the extra money.

Actually the top carves on the S2 series are inspired by the core Mira's carve. The flattened curve edge is just a very subtle difference, nothing biggie actually. And it is justified especially when you're selling the S2 at half the core Mira's price. I agree with you, the core Mira's pickguard looks better, but this newer one just has more of that garage-punk "thing" that's very fitting for a LP Special/SG rival. :D

For whatever reason, I like the overall shape of the S2 Mira better than the core Mira. Maybe because the neck is a little shorter, not sure, but it looks overall more proportional. I think it's the best-looking of the S2s.

I know, the top carve doesn't bother me. I'm talking about the general shape of the body. To me the S2 body just doesn't have the round, fat, curviness of the core line Mira or a LP Special.

They did rework the Mira shape for the S2, they made it closer to the Santana's measurements, more so than the Core Mira used to be. It could be that reason. I haven't been looking closely enough to see much difference, but it's definitely different-looking, like you said. :laugh: Oh well...

Could it be that what you guys are perceiving as a different shape is actually just the fact that the bridge and bridge pickup are further away from the neck joint? There's less space between the bridge and the bottom strap pin. It's like the difference between a CU22 and a CU24.

prscustom22vs24md3.gif

Maybe I should solve this puzzle by buying a S2 Mira and comparing it to me '07 Core Mira.

Could it be that what you guys are perceiving as a different shape is actually just the fact that the bridge and bridge pickup are further away from the neck joint? There's less space between the bridge and the bottom strap pin. It's like the difference between a CU22 and a CU24.

prscustom22vs24md3.gif

Maybe I should solve this puzzle by buying a S2 Mira and comparing it to me '07 Core Mira.

I like this graphic better: :vroam:

22v24body.gif

Yes, for scientific purposes of course!
That's what I will tell my wife... "It was for science, honey! I had to!"

I like this graphic better: :vroam:

22v24body.gif
That IS better. With the other one, the knobs don't also move relative to the bridge/bridge pickup, so the finished product is inaccurate. Yours illustrates it without that pesky knob problem.

Pesky Knob Problem would be a good band name. PKP 4-EVA!

Definitely not. I know because the old Mira X looks fine, the same shape as the Mira. The S2 shape has definitely been reworked, and I don't like it.

Back