Is the CAD still around?

nussbajh

So this is how I change away from “New Member”
In another post, it was mentioned that it might be possible to get a DG30 half stack in paisley through the PRS CAD. Anyone know if that is true? If so, what distributors would have the ability? I imagine it’s like the qualifiers that allow shops to sell Wood Library or Private Stock, but could be wrong.

Thanks

“Assembled in the USA” appears to be as close as you get these days. I didn’t know CAD was completely gone! Wow. Although you still see a fair price from time to time, most CAD-amp used prices have gotten pretty steep.

Has Doug gone back to doing Sewell amps, or is he still there but designing for overseas builds?

“Assembled in the USA” appears to be as close as you get these days. I didn’t know CAD was completely gone! Wow. Although you still see a fair price from time to time, most CAD-amp used prices have gotten pretty steep.

Has Doug gone back to doing Sewell amps, or is he still there but designing for overseas builds?
Doug is still there. I think he was in one of the HRDX20 videos. I got to meet him on a tour in 2018. Seeing an old Marshall with Hendrix stenciled on it was surreal.

The only CAD amp that's still made the same way is the DG30. As far as I know, the design has not changed at all.

Doug Sewell told me it was/is the most labor-intensive of all the CAD amps.

However, the only DG30s I've ever seen that were not the standard cream/mahogany livery were made for Grissom himself and Tim Pierce. I don't think mere mortals could ever order a DG30 in anything that wasn't standard.

So I've never seen a paisley DG30 cab.

Anyone know somebody that wants to sell me a 2x12 paisley cab then?
I have been searching for one not connected to a head/cab deal for a while with no success. I’ve got a special HX/DA head that has the paisley cover and the orange tone wood panel, and have been looking for one like this:

9jQmd8w.jpg

Anything I’ve found was already sold, or in the Maryland area with no shipping option. I’m in Texas, so that’s a bit of a drive! Still on the lookout though! Maybe even a 4x12… :oops:

I have been searching for one not connected to a head/cab deal for a while with no success. I’ve got a special HX/DA head that has the paisley cover and the orange tone wood panel, and have been looking for one like this:

9jQmd8w.jpg

Anything I’ve found was already sold, or in the Maryland area with no shipping option. I’m in Texas, so that’s a bit of a drive! Still on the lookout though! Maybe even a 4x12… :oops:
I hope you find one! Those are such beautiful cabs!! Your new double Boogie in white leather is bad a$$ as well!! On that topic, those Boogie's look like uninvited guests in front of that glass knick knack cabinet!!! Then again, I should probably STFU as I don't have either ;~(( Just sayin!

The paisley cabs are special, for sure - not only because of the covering, but the cabinet work PRS was doing at that time was top notch quality, they're not the same these days.

The HDRX 2x12 I got recently is a good cab, but unfortunately not as nice as the stuff that was coming out during the CAD era. No corner covers, no upper strip across the top, no piping. There's a small funky spot in the basket weave on the HDRX as well, that probably should've been avoided on a cab of that cost. I think the older cabs were very similar in price, even considering inflation, but were really something special.

On the bright side, the import line cabs PRS are using are very good for their price. But I don't feel that I got any more in terms of quality with the premium priced HDRX 2x12, other than a nice set of H75 speakers. Don't get me wrong, it's 100% functional and great sounding, but so are the ones costing 2/3 as much.

Anyways, rant over... how 'bout that paisley? Can you believe a guy sold me an open back paisley 2x12 for $300???

Unfortunately, when my Custom 50 popped up used at GC, someone had already bought the matching 2x12, which I believe was a closed big mouth/deep version. I also came close to snagging one like that when a guy on the other side of the state was selling one with a paisley Blistertone, but for the price he wanted, I just wasn't sure I needed it.

One thing is certain, if an older PRS cab ever pops up near me, even if it's not Paisley, I'll jump on it. Those things are awesome.

I''d found paisley heads before , but the cabs are scarce which is why I jumped on the Blue Sierra set , the seller was surprised it sold 15hrs after posting .. I'm surprised it lasted that long. Mine has the speakers in the 2x12 wired seperately so you can opt to run 1 speaker or use the cab to run 2 amps ..
wxmmd4kocm5hbtxsrwge.jpg

I've always been curious as to why there are heads available but no cabinets. Did that many people who bought the paisley heads choose not to buy the cabinets?
Make you wonder, doesn't it? I know a lot of folks are reluctant to ship anything large, as shipping costs have gotten ridiculous. I sent a powered wedge monitor in for repair to NJ over the weekend, and it was a quick $100 bill down the drain... using my own packing! If you have to pay for packaging, I can see shipping on a 2x12 paisley cab running as much as $200, depending on where it's going.

But yeah, there must be a bunch of them somewhere!

My seller had UPS package ( not the first time) they do a great job , shipping was $200 yeah pricey , but driving down to Galveston would cost more ... Watching a few Doug Sewell interviews , I found it way cool they had the old amps analyzed by a high end audio firm , and then had them hand replicate the "horrible " inadequacies to get that magic tone ... the individual component vetting .. serious attention to detail .

My seller had UPS package ( not the first time) they do a great job , shipping was $200 yeah pricey , but driving down to Galveston would cost more ... Watching a few Doug Sewell interviews , I found it way cool they had the old amps analyzed by a high end audio firm , and then had them hand replicate the "horrible " inadequacies to get that magic tone ... the individual component vetting .. serious attention to detail .
Galveston! Damn, that's like 45 minutes from me!

I believe that Doug Sewell's hand-wired amps will be very collectible in the future.

Last edited:
I''d found paisley heads before , but the cabs are scarce which is why I jumped on the Blue Sierra set , the seller was surprised it sold 15hrs after posting .. I'm surprised it lasted that long. Mine has the speakers in the 2x12 wired seperately so you can opt to run 1 speaker or use the cab to run 2 amps ..
wxmmd4kocm5hbtxsrwge.jpg
Official Envy. Does it have the matching wood faceplate?

Back