Is the Bridge Pickup on a SE Hollowbody II Piezo normaly much quieter than the Neck Pickup?

Everyday Player

Hi all,
I just got myself a PRS SE Hollowbody II PIezo and I noticed that with a clean sound, the bridge pickup is about 40 to 50% quieter that the neck pickup. I was wondering if this is normal or if the guitar I got is defective. I'm a beginner player and have no prior experience with this...

So I would greatly appreciate your help, so I can decide whether I should return the instrument or not.

Many thanks!

Hi I bought one a couple of weeks ago and admittedly haven't played it much yet though but it seems ok. Am on hols at the moment and without guitar, so will have another try when I'm back next week (just to check) and will post an update.

As SinSir mentioned, if the pickup height on the bridge is drastically lower you'd notice this, but 40-50% seems a lot even if the height is way off. Seems more likely a wiring issue. I'd bring it back to the shop you bought it from and ask them to fix it.
They're great guitars, but obviously need to be in good working order when you buy it

Pickups are sensitive to height and volume level. Some more so than others. My neck pickup is typically flush or slightly below the pickup ring. The bridge pickup varies quite a bit between guitar and pickup but usually it does sit higher than the ring and neck pickup. There is no universal answer to height. It's all subjective and a case by case basis.

I don't use measurements for any pickups. I dial them all in by ear. I lower the pickup flush with the pickup ring, body, or guard and go up/down in full, 1/2, and 1/4 turns until they sound best to me. I then move to the next. Check the volume levels between the two and how blended positions sound.. adjust accordingly to preferences.

Then a couple days later I check again with fresh ears. This method hasn't failed me yet.

It helps to use a marking as a reference point on the screwdriver for turns or put one there if your screwdriver doesn't have a marking.

If anything, the bridge pickup should be a bit louder than the neck pickup.
If both pickups are the same distance from the strings, the neck pup will produce more signal than the bridge, because the string vibrations have greater amplitude further away from the bridge - and it those strings vibrating in the magnetic field that generate the signal. Even though the bridge pup will sound a bit brighter, the neck should nominally be louder sounding.

I would look at pup height (relative to string, not body), and if the bridge is same as or lower than the neck, I would first raise the bridge (or lower the neck).

If bridge pup is closer to strings than neck pup, I would also suspect a wiring issue, possibly a cold solder joint.

I'm no expert, but anyway you can check the pickups output with a multi meter? Might tell you something.

Last edited:
Hi Everyday, I've now had a go with mine (I've missed playing it while on hols!) and both pickups sound roughly similar. I've also tested them with a multi meter as Mike suggested, and the reading for the bridge is 7.79 and the neck at 7.56 so the bridge is showing as a little hotter. If you're are similar than it could well be they need adjusting. Hope this helps though.

My bridge pickup was quieter too, thus I asked PRS tech service to have a look. They said it was in normal range, but when the guitar came back, the pickup height was very high, much higher than the neck pickup. Now in reality, I feel rear pickup is a bit harsh, thus I play in middle and like the rear to be slightly lowered than what PRS tech has set.

PRS tech was very helpful, so why not ask them to have a look?

Last edited:
My bridge pickup was quieter too, thus I asked PRS tech service to have a look. They said it was in normal range, but when the guitar came back, the pickup height was very high, much higher than the bridge pickup.
Did you mean "neck" in that second place where it says "bridge"? That would make sense.

And yeah, sometimes the bridge pup can look quite high compared to the neck pup.

Did you mean "neck" in that second place where it says "bridge"? That would make sense.

And yeah, sometimes the bridge pup can look quite high compared to the neck pup.
Ah my mistake, edited, thanks for catching!

Back