Is Rock Dead?

I'm eagerly awaiting a prog group to make an album as good as Dark Side of the Moon.
Tbh I have never regarded Floyd as prog be that sacrilege to some or not...lol.
They were just one of the big four as a teen in England where I was born and raised and lived until the tender age of 40.

Now if someone really wants to try a prog rock/metal album that has real teeth then try ... Snowfall on Judgement Day by Redemption.

I don't remember Ozzy or Black Sabbath being much loved by the critics. Now Black Sabbath is looked at like some kind of supra-genius gothic heavy metal pioneers. They were just another band growing up

No artist wears a crown coming out of the gate...it's their subsequent legacy that defines their status.

Rock is not dead.. I thought the same a long while back, but then realized it just isn't mainstream like it once was.. expanded my listening to the modern methods and there's a ton of good rock out there. Honestly the past handful of years I feel its made somewhat of a comeback in mainstream. Expand your listening horizons and there's tons of good rock out there. Just have to change your way of finding it.

The world is no longer turn your dial on the radio.

Last edited:
Rock isn't daed... It just smells funny...

Oh, and the early Bee Gees were amazing! And I will fight you on this...

I have spoken!

Rock & Roll as always smelled like beer & cigarettes.

And I'm only picking on the Bee Gees because they were a great, "non-rock" band, and they make an easy target. Amazing accomplishments they achieved.

Two rock bands that I listen to that I haven't seen mentioned are;

Saving Abel
Blackstone Cherry

I had the pleasure of running sound for Saving Able in a venu near me. They were great guys to work with and after hearing their music that night I bought all of their albums.

Yes, It died circa 1996-1997. No one knew at the time, and until recently it became abundantly apparent.
Absolutely did not die, and is still alive and kicking. However, 96-97 may have been a bit of a "lull." As great as it is, Dream Theater released what many people think is their worst album in 97. Grunge just about killed all the great bands of the 80s. But rock has been alive and well all along.

"Real rock" may have not been as popular on the radio, but it was still always there.

When we discuss these philosophical ideas, we need to decide just whom we are more closely aligned with, philosophically. For example:

Some guy on the internet: "Rock is dead."

Ozzy Osbourne: "You can't kill Rock and Roll. It's here to stay."

In this case, who are you going to believe? The Ozzman, of course.

Rock is not dead.. I thought the same a long while back, but then realized it just isn't mainstream like it once was.. expanded my listening to the modern methods and there's a ton of good rock out there. Honestly the past handful of years I feel its made somewhat of a comeback in mainstream. Expand your listening horizons and there's tons of good rock out there. Just have to change your way of finding it.

The world is no longer turn your dial on the radio.

Eggszactly!
I was stuck in a time warp of just playing and replaying my existing music for the longest time.
But that literally stopped at 1992...when grunge took over the world.

Then I started using Pandora on my smart TV and it was like..woah!
Who are these guy's and where they come from!
Shinedown, Skillet, Avenged Sevenfold, Seether, etc.
Oh and Dream Theater are still alive and kicking...wait ,what ,Spock's Beard, Arena, Redemption?
Holy moly...it's ALIVE!!!

Last edited:
Bee Gees have some great songs that stand the test of time. Those high vocals turn some people off and the disco thing too. We had the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack on 8 track in the station wagon so I've heard it 100's of times!

Look, I’m not tryin to dissuade anyone from hatin’ The Bee Gees, nor do I wanna be that guy that insists you listen to some song of a band/guy/artist you hate so that you might change your mind, but…

Since that never stopped any of y’all:

This is some first class-real musician-type sh!t right here.

Such a stanky ass rhythm, harmony and slide guitar, and no computers, sequencers or pitch correction.

Yeah, it’s corny AF, but it’s sooo well done corny that it transcends corniness if you feel me.

Back