Is Rock Dead?

Back in the late 70's early 80's there were so many bands you liked that you didn't have enough money to buy all the records you wanted. That faded out then in the early 90's grunge and alternative rock became popular. They blew the hair metal bands out of the water. Bands like Soundgarden, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Oasis and others had their own sound and could write songs that moved you. Rock bands today just check all the boxes and have no substance.

Back in the late 70's early 80's there were so many bands you liked that you didn't have enough money to buy all the records you wanted. That faded out then in the early 90's grunge and alternative rock became popular. They blew the hair metal bands out of the water. Bands like Soundgarden, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Oasis and others had their own sound and could write songs that moved you. Rock bands today just check all the boxes and have no substance.
I would have to disagree , at least in the prog rock/ metal world I normally inhabit.
But opinions are just that, we all have them and all are good!

well, rock can go if it takes pearl jam with it.

i think lou is onto something -- rock was for teenagers hearing music for the first time, and sure a lot of it is recycled, and a lot of us are old guys who have heard it all before, but as long as there are new teenagers i think it'll be ok. you don't even need record store money or radio stations to hear any music you like.

SOS...

That music is what's wrong with rock. Not what's right.

Not saying you shouldn't like it nor am I putting you down for liking it.

But I've heard those vocals, melodies (if you can call them that), harmonies, drums and guitar sounds a million times.

SOS...same old ____!

It's boring unless you're a teenager hearing music for the first time.
Come on. That's like saying Walter Trout is a retread. Or Chris "Kingtone" Ingram. Or Gary Clark Jr. Or, for that matter, Eric Clapton. I'm 55, and I definitely don't find it boring. I'll step off your lawn.

I'm going to be honest, I've been in an EDM/hip hop worm hole the last 10 years because most modern rock/metal is blah. Im pushing 40 and started getting back into all the old music from high school: incubus, limp bizkit, slipknot, linkin park, QOTHSA. I also started listening to Sirius XM radio on the Octane channel which is new rock/metal. Really dig Bring Me The Horizon, Falling in Reverse, Turnstile (punk). But my favorite so far is Highly Suspect....would highly suggest checking them out.

Not dead, as noted above, just harder to find.
Most rock radio stations just play oldies...comfort for boomers I guess.
Genres are so fragmented anymore that I don’t even try to understand what they want to be.
There is a segment of country these days that as a lot of the feel of what I would have called rock...lurking around the corner behind chewin’ tobacco and drinkin’ another beer.

I use Roon to stream Qobuz,Tidal and my own massive library of rock/metal to my phone or laptop anywhere in the world literally from my home "core" PC.
I always have a ginormous selection of rock to listen to at anytime and anywhere from 60's to present day.
It sure ain't dead for me!

Not dead, as noted above, just harder to find.
Most rock radio stations just play oldies...comfort for boomers I guess.
Genres are so fragmented anymore that I don’t even try to understand what they want to be.
There is a segment of country these days that as a lot of the feel of what I would have called rock...lurking around the corner behind chewin’ tobacco and drinkin’ another beer.

^...and This...^

Totally agree....at the end of the day, when trying to reinvent themselves, or generate broader appeal, artists of other genres incorporate rock/hard rock/metal. It's never really the other way around on the same scale. Even if you back as far as it's roots, rock has bubbled up with a new window dressing, but the same frame. Problem is, it's 'pop' that muddies it all up, fueled by those that are afraid to think for themselves and just want to fit in. It's that sugar-coated mess of safety. I tend to believe the free-thinkers don't hitch their wagon to that rot, and that's where rock and all of it's facets will, and continue to, thrive.

Last edited:
Things shift. 80s rock sound is getting close to retirement (with guys n girls pushing 60). But nice rocky tones are still to be had, but with different brush strokes. Actually I am kind of exicited the genre is evolving instead of sticking with cheezy harmonics, vibratos and overly saturated lead sounds.

A little more organic, less gainy. I like

Every style of art and music is transitory. Ask Telemann, Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Wagner, Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky, Lennon, Jimi, etc.

Oh sure, I'll loan you a Ouija Board if you need to ask them! ;)

We're here for a short ride, and then we - and our tastes - vanish. To answer the question, yes of course Rock is dead, it's just a matter of when.

The future doesn't care whether rock is dead, or is morphed and resurrected in a different form. It goes on, with or without us.

Dead or not, rock has had a huge influence on the country genre as it often sounds more like the old Southern Rock than what country used to sound like.

I would have to disagree , at least in the prog rock/ metal world I normally inhabit.
But opinions are just that, we all have them and all are good!
I'm eagerly awaiting a prog group to make an album as good as Dark Side of the Moon.

Reactions: jxe
Dead or not, rock has had a huge influence on the country genre as it often sounds more like the old Southern Rock than what country used to sound like.
I agree. Some of it is pretty good and it has a lot of guitars still. The songwriting mostly not done by the bands is really pro stuff. It's not art, it's a craft...in a good way.

If Rock is dead, then how did Ozzy's new record "Patient Number 9" receive favorable reviews from music critics and win Best Rock Album at the 65th Annual Grammy Awards?

Also, wasn't that the very last record Jeff Beck played on before his passing?

If Rock is dead, then how did Ozzy's new record "Patient Number 9" receive favorable reviews from music critics and win Best Rock Album at the 65th Annual Grammy Awards?

Also, wasn't that the very last record Jeff Beck played on before his passing?
Probably a life time achievement type thing. I don't remember Ozzy or Black Sabbath being much loved by the critics. Now Black Sabbath is looked at like some kind of supra-genius gothic heavy metal pioneers. They were just another band growing up

Probably a life time achievement type thing. I don't remember Ozzy or Black Sabbath being much loved by the critics. Now Black Sabbath is looked at like some kind of supra-genius gothic heavy metal pioneers. They were just another band growing up
Well, Tony Iommi did kinda invent the power cord after he accidentally chopped off the ends of two of his fingers. SO there's that.

Back