Is Rock Dead?

I have been hearing that rock is dead for years but still keep hearing new rock music. If anything, it will probably go underground. There will be pieces of it in music as things morph into whatever the younger folds turn it into.

And; DISCO SUCKS!
With all of the guitars being sold lately, I think guitar oriented music will be with us for sometime.

Yes, sadly, it's dead. Not that we don't listen to 50-year-old music today, that's not dead. But new Rock being generated today? Not in any real sense. Mainstream music has lost it's soul....

Eh...there's lots and lots of great rock out there, it's just harder to find it now as it's not what is popular. Don't ask me to name any, because I just don't listen to a whole lot of music these days, let alone actively search for new bands...which is kind of weird being a musician, but it's just not what's going on in my life right now.

But as I scroll through social media, I come across all kinds of killer rock bands that are out there tearing it up. Many are from other countries. But, generally speaking, there is a ton of rock music out there to inspire, just kind of gotta dig for it, I guess.

i remember reading -- in a music magazine in '84 -- that rap died in '83.

does it really break anyone's heart that 'rock music' -- the whole scene from baby boomer teenagers in the '50s dancing to gene vincent and bobby vee to the sloppy biker rock of today -- as a handful of acts and a handful of mass media companies pushing a saleable idea to an established audience, isn't what it used to be? is it really correct to say it's 'dead'? although, admittedly, it is very typically 'rock and roll' to measure life and death in unit sales.

Yes, sadly, it's dead. Not that we don't listen to 50-year-old music today, that's not dead. But new Rock being generated today? Not in any real sense. Mainstream music has lost it's soul....
I don't even buy any rock cds, vinyl etc. of new rock bands. There may be some out there but they aren't getting much attention. The only bands/artist that has impressed me over the last 10 years has been AWOL Nation and Chance the Rapper.

If you think rock is dead, you just don't know where to find it. There are plenty of bands that are putting out new quality rock today. Just because it isn't on the "mainstream" radio doesn't mean it is out there.

If you think rock is dead, you just don't know where to find it. There are plenty of bands that are putting out new quality rock today. Just because it isn't on the "mainstream" radio doesn't mean it is out there.

SOS...

That music is what's wrong with rock. Not what's right.

Not saying you shouldn't like it nor am I putting you down for liking it.

But I've heard those vocals, melodies (if you can call them that), harmonies, drums and guitar sounds a million times.

SOS...same old ____!

It's boring unless you're a teenager hearing music for the first time.

SOS...

That music is what's wrong with rock. Not what's right.

Not saying you shouldn't like it nor am I putting you down for liking it.

But I've heard those vocals, harmonies, drums and guitar sounds a million times.

It's boring unless you're a teenager hearing music for the first time.

I was once told the following:
The guitar has been around for hundreds of year, has twelve notes, and has been played by many thousands of people. Do you really think you are going to play something that hasn't already been played?

The Iconic, Heroes and Monsters grabbed me. While I think Nita Strauss is an amazing guitarist, her song didn't really do anything for me. The Spirits of Fire...jury is still out.

I liked them but they seemed to me to be more influenced by Metal than Rock.

What??
Rock is dead??
Why didn't someone tell me!
Waaahhhh!!!

Oh wait..
Nope sorry, my headphones say rock ain't dead.
False alarm guy's ( and gals)
Whew.
Nearly thought I would have to take up Yoga for a minute there.

Back