Is Rock Dead?

Clashcityrocker

Curve Denier
Yes, It died circa 1996-1997. No one knew at the time, and until recently it became abundantly apparent.

fral-f-lies-all-lies-jpg.278198

Huey says the heart's still beating, and Neil says it'll never die, so I'm goin' with them.
Yes I remember them saying that it will never die but I think they just mean for them. New generations come along that have their own tastes and styles.

Opinions are like a**holes - everybody has one and nobody needs another one ;) but that's just my opinion.
One of those opinions came from Rick Beato who is a pretty knowledgeable guy. Known for his youtube channel and some great interviews with musicians. I like his interview style because he really know the music of the artist and I feel the artist is more engaged in the converstion.

The idea of rock—or by genre—being dead is funny. Especially now. Music streaming has changed how we all get our music and how our tastes are formed. It’s not just what is pushed over the radio or MTV, the way it used to be.

I spend a bit of each workday in my office outside of a high school gym. Today the classes were playing late 80s/early 90s pop and hip-hop. MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice, Bell Biv DeVoe…. Not my thing, but just a sample of where kids are at. Other days I’ll hear Journey, Springsteen, AC/DC. Modern stuff, too. Usually upbeat. Almost never country.

Does that mean that now we are only allowed to listen to the Bee Gees?

I hate the Bee Gees.
I have hated them since day one.
I have hated everything they have ever done.
(except some tracks from that dopey disco movie. Go figure...)
Some of them are dead and I don't care. I hate the dead ones too.
I hate them all with the burning intensity of a hundred thousand supernovas.
They are, always have been and always will be a festering boil on the skin of music.
A billion years from now the average overall quality of all the music ever composed and
performed throughout the entire universe will still be significantly lower than it would have been
had they never existed.
I hate them.

I hate the Bee Gees.
I have hated them since day one.
I have hated everything they have ever done.
(except some tracks from that dopey disco movie. Go figure...)
Some of them are dead and I don't care. I hate the dead ones too.
I hate them all with the burning intensity of a hundred thousand supernovas.
They are, always have been and always will be a festering boil on the skin of music.
A billion years from now the average overall quality of all the music ever composed and
performed throughout the entire universe will still be significantly lower than it would have been
had they never existed.
I hate them.
Overrated? Sure, but some of those pre-Saturday Night Fever albums were pretty solid and had great musicianship.

I have been hearing that rock is dead for years but still keep hearing new rock music. If anything, it will probably go underground. There will be pieces of it in music as things morph into whatever the younger folds turn it into.

And; DISCO SUCKS!

Back