Is relic'ing a fad, or is it here to stay? (Spoiler: not a fad, yes here to stay, but come chat)

I agree with who said I don't mind good "honest" relic guitars. I know I've put some of my guitars through hell and back so showing some wear is expected. I'm not proud of every ding or dent, but it happens. But to intentionally beat the crap out of a perfectly good guitar just seem bazaar.

I largely agree with you for most cases & audiences.

My counter-experience (as a guitar-y person) was seeing G'n'R last week. Slash and Richard Fortus are both amazing (I would argue that Fortus is more technically sound - you could hear tight sweep picking from him at points). However, Slash's guitars mostly all looked roadworn to varying degrees where some of Fortus' custom-mades looked clearly relic'd (and in my mind 'try-hard'). While it didn't affect my appreciation of the music, I did make aesthetic judgements of the 'show'.

On a related note, Axl definitely looks the most relic'd of the band. Duff gets a little craggy, Slash doesn't seem to age much.

Is any of that aesthetic judgement based on your prior knowledge of slash's guitars? I'm not disagreeing with you I'm just playing the cynic to see if it changes anything: I mean, most people know that slash only uses the same les Pauls over and over. I've never heard of him playing anything but genuinely old stuff. Maybe some new ones from Gibson here and there but not relic'ed. Whereas fortus (never heard of him but just looked at a bunch of pictures) looks like he uses a ton of different guitars. Probably doesn't use anything enough to get a medium/heavy relic look.

Again, not disagreeing, just playing a little devil's advocate. If you didn't necessarily know the history of either guitarist/their guitars, would you be able to make that judgement?

While The Hansard guitar seems a true relic, I would attribute it more to bad technique and IDGAF. I don't know a soul, and especially not me, that would intentionally, with abandon destroy a guitar in that fashion. Ah, hell, play what you want, treat it as you will, why in the end should it make any difference to anyone else?? My guitars are pristine, Why?? because most if not all of them have been on stage, but so long ago that they are house queens now and all they see is some patio playing and the micro cloth....The setting plays as much into relic as the actual guitar itself.

Is any of that aesthetic judgement based on your prior knowledge of slash's guitars? I'm not disagreeing with you I'm just playing the cynic to see if it changes anything: I mean, most people know that slash only uses the same les Pauls over and over. I've never heard of him playing anything but genuinely old stuff. Maybe some new ones from Gibson here and there but not relic'ed. Whereas fortus (never heard of him but just looked at a bunch of pictures) looks like he uses a ton of different guitars. Probably doesn't use anything enough to get a medium/heavy relic look.

Again, not disagreeing, just playing a little devil's advocate. If you didn't necessarily know the history of either guitarist/their guitars, would you be able to make that judgement?

All good, man.

I honestly didn't think about how old Slash's were. It was mostly just glaring with Fortus'.

Slash did seem to be playing a new, minty sig Firebird a little (see other places for commentary on if this is a cash grab by big G). Interestingly, his old BC Riches didn't seem too beat up.

All good, man.

I honestly didn't think about how old Slash's were. It was mostly just glaring with Fortus'.

Slash did seem to be playing a new, minty sig Firebird a little (see other places for commentary on if this is a cash grab by big G). Interestingly, his old BC Riches didn't seem too beat up.

That answers my question. I think if it were me, I would have made the same judgement as you. I do it all the time with really beat up guitars. You see guys like slash with truly old guitars. The natural wear is nowhere near what you see on some of the custom shop relic'd fenders. Some players do really beat up their gear (obviously, a few come to mind) but not most.

But, If I didn't know anything about slash and saw one of his more worn les Pauls, I might have thought it was a relic too.

Just saw a music video of a kind of emo-inspired young "rapper" who recently passed away.

He had a relic'd iphone in the video haha. It definitely added to the rockstar, realistic, grungy feel of the video.

I have never in my life gone without a screen protector and an iphone case, I realize now that makes me kind of a f***in' type-A nerd. I had buddies who had cracked phones for years at a time.

update: the love interest in the video also has a relic'd phone

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw a music video of a kind of emo-inspired young "rapper" who recently passed away.

He had a relic'd iphone in the video haha. It definitely added to the rockstar, realistic, grungy feel of the video.

I have never in my life gone without a screen protector and an iphone case, I realize now that makes me kind of a f***in' type-A nerd. I had buddies who had cracked phones for years at a time.

update: the love interest in the video also has a relic'd phone

Don't worry bro, I'm am firmly with you in the type-A nerd camp.

It depends on the guitar for me. I'd never want to relic something out of the Core line, but I think the mahogany body S2s could be sweet looking with some relic-ing. I'm also a big fan of Fenders with some wear and tear.

Back