Is PRS guitars a victim of reverse snobbery?

A recent Youtuber said he just didn't like Prs guitars. His reason was he tried one back in the 90's and it just didn't sound like a Gibson or Fender. He felt it was too pretty and he didn't like the birds.

I probably uttered the same exact phrase in 1991. If I had a dollar for every dumb thing I've said about guitars, I'd have 3 more cores.

I played mostly Gibson, Hamer USA, and Ibanez growing up. I tried my first PRS around '87 and was absolutely blown away with its tone and every little nuance each knob made with a small turn. It took me 14 years to get my "Holy Grail" (Emerald Green Custom 24). My wife actually ordered it as a surprise Father's Day gift (another story). I have Fender Strats, Teles, and a Gibson Les Paul. And the original poster is correct when he says a PRS isn't a Fender or Gibson. It is a whole other animal. There is nothing, NOTHING, that sounds like a PRS Custom 24 running through a Boogie Road King. There is a growl in the pups that can only be achieved with a PRS. I hate to hurt anyone's feelings (actually I don't really care) but that is fact. Gibson and Fender each have specific models which have their own tone, and so does PRS. You can't make a Gibson or a Fender sound like a PRS.

I've never had anyone look down on me because I play a PRS. Usually everyone knows me around here because I'm the guy who plays the Green PRS. Those who want to belittle you because you happen to own one of the coolest guitars ever, are the same guys who stand in the back of the bar with their arms folded all telling themselves they could play it better than you.

Personally I like the bright and colorful tops. If you think those are flashy, you should see some of the custom tops I've stained and cleared in my shop. PRS does own the market on "dipped in glass" finishes for production models.

I played mostly Gibson, Hamer USA, and Ibanez growing up. I tried my first PRS around '87 and was absolutely blown away with its tone and every little nuance each knob made with a small turn. It took me 14 years to get my "Holy Grail" (Emerald Green Custom 24). My wife actually ordered it as a surprise Father's Day gift (another story). I have Fender Strats, Teles, and a Gibson Les Paul. And the original poster is correct when he says a PRS isn't a Fender or Gibson. It is a whole other animal. There is nothing, NOTHING, that sounds like a PRS Custom 24 running through a Boogie Road King. There is a growl in the pups that can only be achieved with a PRS. I hate to hurt anyone's feelings (actually I don't really care) but that is fact. Gibson and Fender each have specific models which have their own tone, and so does PRS. You can't make a Gibson or a Fender sound like a PRS.

I've never had anyone look down on me because I play a PRS. Usually everyone knows me around here because I'm the guy who plays the Green PRS. Those who want to belittle you because you happen to own one of the coolest guitars ever, are the same guys who stand in the back of the bar with their arms folded all telling themselves they could play it better than you.

Personally I like the bright and colorful tops. If you think those are flashy, you should see some of the custom tops I've stained and cleared in my shop. PRS does own the market on "dipped in glass" finishes for production models.

Couldn't have said it better!

I’m too sexy for my PRSes.

Right said, Les.

giphy.gif

My experience with PRS for the most part is that most people (non-guitarists) don't recognize them at all. I even have a friend that was the singer in a relativity big hard rock band in the 90's (they didn't quite make the big time but were big in Boston area) that had no idea what a PRS was. He's now singing in a cover band but we used to work together (day job). We recorded a few songs for a work battle of the bands competition and he said about my SE Santana... "that's a cool guitar, are those birds?" - And he's been serious about making music for probably 25 years.

At my last gig I got lots of compliments on my CE24. absolutely no snobbery, just a few complements like "that is a beautiful guitar, when did you get that," etc...

** The only snobbery I've seen was when I brought the CE24 for some work to the best Luthier in my area. It turned out the bolt on neck wasn't set quite correct and the low E was too close the edge of the fret board. He hardly even looked at it and told me, "I can't do anything about that, you'll have to get a new guitar". Then he proceeded to tell me he worked on this crazy expensive beautiful PRS Private Stock but when he played it, it sounded like crap. I'm pretty sure he then said something about doctor or layer guitars. LOL. So I brought the guitar to a local PRS dealer and he literally fixed the issue in less than 2 min. (unscrewed the bolt on neck, reset in the correct position and tightened up the screws.)

This local Luthier is really good but i've decided I can only bring my Strat or Taylor in there. I don't trust them to do good work on my PRS. So probably any work will be going to PTC from now on. (not sure I trust Guitar Center either)

Seems like the snobbery dispersed as Gibson got into financial problems. It will pick up again once the 'football team' is back on the field. Truck owners like to fight about Ford or Chevy. It just goes with the territory.

Some players buy PRS because of the reverse reverse snobbery. Guitar Buyers are Ironic like that :)

(I own more than several myself)

The problem is that so many people can’t mind their own business. It’s got nothing to do with guitars.

They want everyone to conform to their preconceptions.

I don’t even respond. I just say, “Yeah, I like to play these. Is it a problem for you?”

No one’s ever said “Yeah, let’s have it out in the alley.” I suppose at my age, if they did I’d have to reconsider my snappy retorts. ;)

One of the best blues singers in Washington, DC wouldn’t even talk to me when he saw me playing an SE at an open mike. I kept my cool. Then he realized he had known my best friend since childhood. Then he realized I could play some. We’re friends now. The best blues singer in Baltimore still won’t call me for a gig. She figures I’m some kind of rich snobby prick because I play PRS. HER LOSS.

I have had heard comments made though none untoward, mostly just good natured ribbing.

At one show a guitar player saw my guitars in the rack and said to another "Those are real guitar player's guitars." Of course they were right in front of me and were smiling when he said it, so we all got a chuckle out of it.

I once auditioned for a band and since my last name is hard to pronounce, I was deemed "The PRS guy". It is a title that I wore (and wear) with honor.

At a recent show, we were striking our gear when a gentleman approached the stage and asked, "Is that Hawk?" Realizing that he was referring to the bird fret markers on my PRS Guitars, I retrieved a guitar and walked him through the names of almost all of them (man, I need a life !) He seemed to dig it.

"That's a nice PRS" is the comment I hear the most. I couldn't agree more.

Last edited:
I was asked once while wearing a PRS shirt,
“Do you actually own any or do you just wear the shirts?”
My response: I own a few of them, but only to make people think I’m a doctor or a lawyer. :D

He then started telling me how much he liked strats.

Most guitarists I know dig PRS’s, but have never played one or seen one up close.

Back