Is modding PRS guitars common?

Jason G

I have not seen much mods done to PRS guitars using other brands parts, but I have been out of the game awhile. Is it pretty common? What do you think of mods to any popular model? I wonder if my “S” guitar will be a vintage guitar in 30 years, but will it have value with the original parts not installed?

Of my 6 PRS core guitars, only 2 are stock.
There's generally not a lot to change, but some of us tweak from time to time.
All of my mods are easily reverseable though - pickups, tuner knobs, truss rod covers, push/pull pots, etc.

30 years time ? Who cares ! Enjoy the sh!t out of what you have now.. While you still can

Plenty of guys/gals here change theirs up...I have swapped PU rings, and knobs, and my only wiring mod was to an older Swampy...
I switched 1 wire, to put my SAS in Single coil mode with the tone knob down/ and full HB when pulled up..
But...ask Serg...Hmmmmmmmmm!!!!???

I've swapped the bridge pickup in my 594, and done a minor wiring mod to my CU24. Nothing irreversible.
I've always been puzzled by the way vintage prices can drop for even disturbed solder joints, or replaced plastic parts. Serious overkill IMHO.

This one has been through a LOT of changes. I’m definitely guilty of tinkering with pretty much every guitar I have.

iw8e55J.jpg

I've swapped the bridge pickup in my 594, and done a minor wiring mod to my CU24. Nothing irreversible.
I've always been puzzled by the way vintage prices can drop for even disturbed solder joints, or replaced plastic parts. Serious overkill IMHO.
That’s what I was thinking about, it is strange that small changes can do that. But leaving things stock is not the norm now, and I like it. This is great I see lots of cool ideas in these comments. Thanks!

Of my 6 PRS core guitars, only 2 are stock.
There's generally not a lot to change, but some of us tweak from time to time.
All of my mods are easily reverseable though - pickups, tuner knobs, truss rod covers, push/pull pots, etc.

30 years time ? Who cares ! Enjoy the sh!t out of what you have now.. While you still can
No I am not too interested in my guitars being valuable in the future. I agree with you, just enjoying them and making music. But I am glad for the comments to see that lots of folks do, I appreciate it.

I am almost the "anti-mod" when it comes to PRS. The only thing I really would (and have) change is swapping out a rotary switching system. I could just never get the hang of that. But other than that, I even avoid buying "modded" PRS guitars for the most part.

Last edited:
Both of my current PRSi are modded, but only with PRS parts like adding a push/pull or different PRS pickups. I’m generally of the opinion that I *don’t* know better than the guys who obsess every day over finding the perfect recipe so most of my mods are just born out of expanding functionality on older guitars.

I am almost the "anti-mod" when it comes to PRS. The only thing I really would (and have) change is swapping our a rotary switching system. I could just never get the hang of that. But other than that, I even avoid buying "modded" PRS guitars for the most part.
When I was thinking about the question I had in mind that maybe people would more often not mod their PRS guitars. Before 2016 I did every expensive thing to my other brand guitars but in the end I found I would rather have the guitar as designed, enjoy it for what it is. But you never know...

Back