Is Joe Bonamassa the new Gary Moore?

garrett

As Joe B has grown in popularity, it seems to me like he is filling up the hole left by Gary Moore.

Polished looking guys playing less-than-sincere blues with Les Pauls cranked through Marshalls. Epic, melodic blues ballads with the occasional bit of shred and showmanship thrown in. Not that it's a bad thing. I think Gary had that niche locked down until he died, and now Joe has inherited it.

I miss Smokin' Joe's younger days when he was rocking the Strats and the Esquire. I still especially love his playing in Bloodline. Seems like he started losing me when he switched to playing Les Pauls. Anyone else?

NO Joe is no Gary Moore! Joe B is a monster player but does nothing for me. I know I will get flamed for this but I can't make it through one of his albums or DVDs, awesome player, lousy songwriter and singer to my ears.

Gary Moore to me was a bluesy rock player and not a bluesman, but that totally works for me. Also I liked his songwriting and voice, and his tone killed.

I'm kinda with Wedge...

I do, however, love Bonamassa in the context of Black Country Communion.

Glenn Hughes is such a powerful vocalist and does most of the writing so maybe that's the draw more so than Joe... The new record, Afterglow, is fantastic!!!

I think Joe has got a lot, lot more polished over the last few years and he's lost his edge a wee bit...the DVD for "A New Day Yesterday" IMHO is way better than his more recent material....his popularity is well deserved though.
I seen and met him in a small club in Belfast a few years ago with Simon McBride doing support, Simon did give him a run for the money that night...would like to see Joe rough it up a bit rather than polished studio albums with pishy ballads and a solo at the end....So I have to agree, Garrett!....get the Esquire out, Joe!

Is Simon McBride the new Gary Moore??...might start my own thread on that one ;)

Last edited:
Polished looking guys playing less-than-sincere blues...

I don't know how you determine whether someone else has sincerity in his head when he plays. For me, it's all about what I'm hearing. And I like Joe B's work, especially on the Lesters. But that's a personal thing, we can agree to disagree.

My standards were set pretty high when I was young; I was involved helping out backstage at the first Ann Arbor Blues Festival, in 1969. I was at UM then. Appearing were Muddy Waters, B.B. King, Otis Rush, Junior Wells, Howlin' Wolf, T-Bone Walker, Magic Sam, Freddie King, Son House, and BB King. I'd say that's a pretty "sincere" blues lineup. I remember how they played, and what they did. And I saw some of them quite a few times afterward in various contexts.

This was the real deal, with the originators of the electric blues genre. Some of the guys were "on;" some were extra-on. I think Joe B would have held his own on that stage.

And I've seen Joe B play with every bit as much emotion and power.

I'll also say that each of those guys was dressed up to look pretty polished-looking, even though the festival was in Ann Arbor's relatively muggy August weather. They dressed like they had more respect for their audience than most of my generation did.

I suppose it's the norm to build performers up, and then knock them down as they become more mainstream. but I honestly think Joe B deserves the respect he's getting from his audience.

No, Joe B is NOT the new Gary Moore. Gary Moore was a much better singer for starters, and for me Gary had a whole lot more emotion pouring out of his playing.

Joe is good, very good, but he doesn't have the natural expressive soul that Gary had in my opinion. Joe has worked hard to get where he is, and deserves his rewards, but to Gary it all came more naturally.

Big, big fan of both Gary and Joe B. They have some similarities certainly, but if you look at Gary whole body of work and dig deep into it then you hear definate differences.

Lot of respect for Joe B though.

Just my personal opinion, but for me Gary WAS one of the greats. Joe IS becoming one of the greats.

I really like them both, but I do not see Joe B as a new GM. GM has his place in the Pantheon of great blues players, JB is on his way, I could see him there one day, but he's got to put some miles on first. Get a larger body of work that stays significant.

I like Joe's playing well enough. I've been fortunate enough to see him live a time or two and hang out with him, and he struck me as a nice, genuine guy. And I really respect and admire his approach to his business, etc. For reasons I don't quite get, he seems to be much bigger in The UK than he is here in America.

But to me, Gary Moore was/is in a class by himself. They are unique unto themselves, and I bet Joe would say something similar if asked.

Goldtop

I'm kinda with Wedge...

I do, however, love Bonamassa in the context of Black Country Communion.

Glenn Hughes is such a powerful vocalist and does most of the writing so maybe that's the draw more so than Joe... The new record, Afterglow, is fantastic!!!

I keep meaning to get their stuff. I like Joe's playing in a band context better than his solo material.

Gary...

Joe...

Last edited by a moderator:
The only Joe B. song I ever really liked was "If wishes were nickels". Never really found his other tunes that appealing, but I must say that I never really gave him much of a chance either.

The only Joe B. song I ever really liked was "If wishes were nickels". Never really found his other tunes that appealing, but I must say that I never really gave him much of a chance either.

If you haven't already, do yourself a favor and check out Black Country Communion...

I simply don't understand the desire to compare one artist with another. It's like comparing birds singing in the back yard. They sound good, but they all sound a little different. What's to compare? Why compare? What's the point?

I simply don't understand the desire to compare one artist with another. It's like comparing birds singing in the back yard. They sound good, but they all sound a little different. What's to compare? Why compare? What's the point?

Well...I would venture to compare Gerry Rafferty's singing to Bob Dylans. As I would Mark Knopfler voice to Dylan as well. :)

I was totally convinced that "Stuck in the middle with you" was a Dylan tune when I first heard it as a Freshman in college.

I thoroughly recommend checking out the collaboration he did with Beth Hart called 'Don't Explain'. Sheer brilliance from start to finish!

Love this tune in particular:

Some choice Gary:

There's as many differences as there are similarities, but the worlds a worser place without Gary in it. Joe's not a replacement but a fine, fine addition.

prs_red_3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

It provides me entertainment and keeps the forum active. :cool:

NO Joe is no Gary Moore! Joe B is a monster player but does nothing for me. I know I will get flamed for this but I can't make it through one of his albums or DVDs, awesome player, lousy songwriter and singer to my ears.

Gary Moore to me was a bluesy rock player and not a bluesman, but that totally works for me. Also I liked his songwriting and voice, and his tone killed.

I agree with Wedge and Hopeful Sinner, Joe B just doesn't do it for me. I can't put my finger on why, either. Joe's obviously a very talented and gifted player. He just seems to lack ... something. I just wish I knew what it was.

For most in Europe Gary Moore was never a bluesman.He was a bluesinspired rocker.For me Joe is a rockinspired bluesman.Does that make sense? :).Both excellent players.

Last edited:
Back