Is it time to start considering solid state?

singularity6

Several months ago, the CEO of EHX was predicting we'd have a tube shortage, as there are only a few places that make them in the world. Now the conflict with Russai/Ukraine will be further-limiting the supply.

There have been a few "widely accepted" solid state amps over the years. The Peavey Bandit 112 (I've owned 2) and the Roland Jazz Chorus both come to mind. Marshall has a few amps out there, and Fender has been experimenting with replicating their classics. Digital amp modelers and VSTs (Line 6, Kemper, Axe FX, AmpliTube ,etc) are making tremendous advances. More and more users are adopting these every day.

All that being said, the purists probably won't budge. However, I suspect there are many folls out there who might like their tube amps, but might be willing to make the switch.

Would this impending tube shortage make anyone out there switch?

Also - PRS makes some nice amps. Personally, I'd like to see them make a stab at a solid state amp. Paul's got some great ears and great engineers. I'm confident they could pull something off.

I would have no problem switching to an SS amplifier.

I gigged with a Roland JC-77 for 11 years.
I also gigged extensively with a Tech21NYC Trademark 60.

Both are excellent pedal platforms,
the Trademark 60 "dirty" channel sounds fine and
there is no better chorus on the market than the one in the JC-77.

Several months ago, the CEO of EHX was predicting we'd have a tube shortage, as there are only a few places that make them in the world. Now the conflict with Russai/Ukraine will be further-limiting the supply.

There have been a few "widely accepted" solid state amps over the years. The Peavey Bandit 112 (I've owned 2) and the Roland Jazz Chorus both come to mind. Marshall has a few amps out there, and Fender has been experimenting with replicating their classics. Digital amp modelers and VSTs (Line 6, Kemper, Axe FX, AmpliTube ,etc) are making tremendous advances. More and more users are adopting these every day.

All that being said, the purists probably won't budge. However, I suspect there are many folls out there who might like their tube amps, but might be willing to make the switch.

Would this impending tube shortage make anyone out there switch?

Also - PRS makes some nice amps. Personally, I'd like to see them make a stab at a solid state amp. Paul's got some great ears and great engineers. I'm confident they could pull something off.

prs_amp.jpg

PRS was waaayyyy ahead of you.;):p:D

(Google PRS HG-70)

I see that and started feeling the urge to reconsider my dislike to modeling since Chinese tube factory burned down. I really liked Mesa STR440 (made in China) and I started panic buying 440's shortly afterwards now having 2 decade supply with my usual PA tube change pattern. I always was ok with preamp tubes besides V1 as I can't get these anywhere for as long as 5 years - I still have one spare and they made to last so no stress here. All other tubes in my amp are Mesa branded JJs so for a while I will be just fine.

Saying that my plans to buy more tube amps are now ceased. I just don't see tube supply as sustainable. Therefore I consider a pardon the modeling and get myself a Helix or Neural QC again. I used to have POD XT mid 2000s and this thing was OK. Way better than solid state amp + any OD pedal. I don't like overdrive pedals with tube amps, they always feel just weird to me so I can't see it working good with SS neither

I got myself HXFX last week. Effects are amazing trough and trough. I bought it because my main rig is bare bones minimal approach but I like to have some options when jamming with people so all choruses, vibratos and stuff like that is going from this while my home setup is nice and clean

I gonna keep my Boogie and my pedalboard rig for sure and I will start taking the care of it more than I did to date but no matter if I like it or not - modelers may be the new standard sooner than I predicted

As much as I support embargo on russian products I say that in guitar world its just an beginning - think nickel which russia is a main exporter of. So alnico magnets, strings, hardware plating. Prices are gonna be high

Watched this last night. Pretty informative. Russian MIG's use tubes?! Who knew:oops:

Last edited:

Watched this last night. Pretty informative.

Not really entirely informative. Dylan said that fender is not using chinase tubes as they are not up to their quality standards. Fact is - Chinese factory burned down 3 years ago and as of yet is not operational. Personally I believe it will never be. It's more profitable to make global demand products than narrow demand product

Not really entirely informative. Dylan said that fender is not using chinase tubes as they are not up to their quality standards. Fact is - Chinese factory burned down 3 years ago and as of yet is not operational. Personally I believe it will never be. It's more profitable to make global demand products than narrow demand product
Yeah, I know that's why I said "pretty informative" ;)

I'm pretty sure he's a coke head.

Back