Is It That They All Sound Different, Or Do I Just Like Cute Amp Boxes?

This is a point that deserves discussion, because among the interesting things that distinguishes between amps is how they handle the ADSR envelope of a note and the way it compresses - both of these factors play a big role in 'holding the note'.
I've been thinking about this for some time myself: in a related context, I wrote this back in 2018 on another forum entirely:

"I'll play: there's no such thing as "tone" in isolation from a dynamic system.

What we are hearing as players is the dynamic intersection between the hand/brain/ear's combined ADSR, and the amp/speaker's rendering of texture driven by that same ADSR. Every player's is different; and perhaps unsurprisingly, like fingerprints.

What we are hearing as bystanders and listeners - how we perceive this dynamic - is also part of the system."

I promise I wasn't on drugs when I wrote that.

It's not your fault.

The Big Amplifier Cabal has bought our leaders in conjunction with the Musical Industrial Complex and insidiously perpetuated the societal norm that we need multiple sources of tone in order to be an accepted part of the amplified stringed instrument community through legislation and GPS/5g carrier control signals.

Wake up Neo!

EDIT: PS: I have 7 amps and a Quad Cortex, they've got me too!

I've been thinking about this for some time myself: in a related context, I wrote this back in 2018 on another forum entirely:

"I'll play: there's no such thing as "tone" in isolation from a dynamic system.

What we are hearing as players is the dynamic intersection between the hand/brain/ear's combined ADSR, and the amp/speaker's rendering of texture driven by that same ADSR. Every player's is different; and perhaps unsurprisingly, like fingerprints.

What we are hearing as bystanders and listeners - how we perceive this dynamic - is also part of the system."

I promise I wasn't on drugs when I wrote that.
Actually I 100% agree!

It's not your fault.

The Big Amplifier Cabal has bought our leaders in conjunction with the Musical Industrial Complex and insidiously perpetuated the societal norm that we need multiple sources of tone in order to be an accepted part of the amplified stringed instrument community through legislation and GPS/5g carrier control signals.

Wake up Neo!

My brain only came with the standard Cortex. This is why you're smarter than me. :eek:

It's not your fault.

Wake up Neo!

Right on! Where is that "raised fist, brother" emojii?

Your studio looks like the one from sloth.
sloth.jpeg

can’t you see i’m trying?

playing ‘broken up brit‘ through a 2014 ubisoft rockband cable into commuter earbuds, because my special lady friend took my audio interface for dj junk.
Yeah well, DJ’s make money.

I got chased outta my basement, moved my “studio” to our bedroom, and have thousands of dollars of guitars and cases in my GD laundry room (aka: my office) because my wife makes slightly more than I do at home.

Yeah well, DJ’s make money.

I got chased outta my basement, moved my “studio” to our bedroom, and have thousands of dollars of guitars and cases in my GD laundry room (aka: my office) because my wife makes slightly more than I do at home.

you may have noticed i’m over by the cat flap. sure would appreciate enough room to keep the guitar off the desk.

Back