Is it simply brand recognition and nostalgia why people keep buying Gibsons and Fenders?

Maertl513,you have a very good point actually but you have to understand this forum works like real life.You have an establishment that is politically correct and everybody else is evil. [political example deleted]

Discussions frequently hinge on differing opinions and points of view. This being a company-sponsored forum populated by (mostly) happy customers, posts that appear to disrespect the brand are probably going to receive a bit of push back. That isn't 'political correctness', that is brand loyalty. It would be the same on any fanboy forum for any product.

Even so, as this thread shows, members here both own and appreciate guitars other than PRS, so disparagingly labeling other members as 'establishment' is not cool.

Your political example has been deleted per the rules.

Time for one of the olde Phartes to weigh in. Fenders have a trademark sound, Lesters have a trademark sound. PRS has a clarity, resonance, and in tune quality that I don`t find on other guitars. Any given player who has evolved to their own voice will be recognizeable no matter what they play. Many of us have looked for a very long time for an instrument that will give us what our brains think they hear. It took me 50 years to find that, with PRS guitars. I recently surprised myself with a PRS amp that finishes the picture. In both cases it was coincidence that got me there.
if you base your sound on Jimmy Page, then you`ll start with a Les Paul. Hendrix, a Strat. The idea is to chase the sounds in your head till you find them. Each instrument will have certain characteristics that will be consistent. If we listen when we play, we either like them more or less as time goes on. We always start with what we know, and then keep searching if we don`t find our sound. No brand is for everyone all the time. The goal is to find what you like and then enjoy the hell out of it. For me it`s PRS, for someone else it might not be. Their loss.

OP. Play an Eric Clapton Stratocaster and let me know what you think. With the boost and tone control tweaked, you may be hearing the best Les Paul you have ever heard or played. in a very playable guitar. The Squire vs, USA model comparisons are also so moot. There are a select band of MIJ Squires from the mid-80's that are pretty amazing and very collectable vs the USA models. Other than that, there is no comparison, the USA models are really nice guitars, you just have to pay the entry fee. Similar models are prevalent n the Gibson catalog but a but harder to find.

My opinion is people keep trying to compare the PRS sound with a Fibson sound which is probably wrong. Do they come close sometimes, yes, but buy them for the sounds you like. Believe me, the audience can give a **** about what sound you are trying to emulate. Most just do not have a reference point.

I get that strats and teles are good and cool guitars, but basically Squier and other knockoffs get you the same thing at a cheaper price, so excluding those, I don't think $500-1000 Fenders nearly stack up to PRS, Ibanez or ESP guitars. PRS offers you the solid, reliable, comfortable, benchmark, pick me up and play aspect and Ibanez and ESP offer a whole bunch of bells and whistles (and better pickups) than a Fender does.

Going to Gibson and Les Paul, I'm much less familiar with those, and they do have features like coil taps and stuff, but they easily run S2 prices into core prices and I don't see the cool factor, but I might be missing it here. Epiphone has great products as well, but that's not really the same tier as PRS prices and I've heard they have some quality issues.

Even so, Fender is the dominant #1 and I really don't see any reason why people are so estatic over them? I think it's just the power of icons and symbols and brand recognition that keep sales so high for them.

Thoughts?

Why do people buy USA made Fender guitars?
They are affordable, light, easy to play, reliable, good sounding guitars that hold their resale value reasonably well and can play many different formats of music. Squire Classic Vibe Strats and Teles are very nice copies of the original and are priced accordingly at about $900 less than the USA versions.

As for Gibson Les Pauls, I don't know. They are into the $2800 range now for what I consider a traditional Les Paul (Les Paul Standard Traditional) which is hard to justify other than it's a Gibson Les Paul and if you want one, Gibson can charge what they want. Epiphone Les Pauls are not in the same ball park quality wise but they are priced thousands of dollars less.

I still think the best bang for the buck is the American Standard Stratocaster for the reasons I stated above. Many other guitarists feel the same way and that is why that specific instrument hasn't been changed too drastically year after year after year. It sells as well as it does because of what it is, simple as that.

Ultimately it comes down to how you feel about the instrument and how the instrument sounds to you when you are playing it.

Last edited:
After years of buying crappy guitars and trying to learn to play I started buying better than $150 guitars.
First I bought a PRS SE with a Floyd trem and it was a revelation. I took some real lessons and felt I was getting good enough for "one of the big ones".
I looked around and played several Les Pauls and settled on a beautiful Traditional. It was also an amazing revelation as to sound and (after a setup) playability.
I have since added several more PRS guitars as well as a cheap but nice Hardluck Kings tele style and for our anniversary my wife bought me a really nice Fender American Deluxe Strat.
From my experience the PRS are better made than most, even the 2 SE I have. The tele arrived with a loose screw that I just can't get to stay in but it plays well and sounds good (although I will probably replace the pups in the near future) and for $149 I'm not complaining. The Strat is gorgeous and is beautifully made.
But the kicker is the Gibson.
Now that I know what I am looking at I see flaws. I mean real noticeable flaws in construction. It's hard to understand how this happens with a company that has such a long standing reputation as one of the iconic instruments.
Now that I have had this experience I will stick with PRS as my main guitars (although the siren song of a really great hollow body is out there).

Great replies guys! So in a way, the sound many heard as a kid dictated to them what they seek out in future guitars, as what a guitar should sound like is what their favorite people played. Likewise the people they see and the looks they associate with that sound further reinforce that stigma.

I think what has changed though is a lot of guitarists now have wildly different tones. For instance, my all time favorite, Jerry Cantrell, has so many sounds I couldn't pin one down as "his sound".

I guess there's several things that stand out... IMO Ibanez and PRS and ESP guitars really look a heck of a lot nicer than a strat or tele which looks like any other strat and the generic guitar you have seen. Second, build quality. I've heard numerous people complain about Epiphone and Gibson quality. While many of them are great, your chance of a lemon or an issue down the roadis greater. Third, Fenders really lack features. If your paying thousands, it would be nice to have one that can play a lot of different ways. Gibsons are comparable to PRS's for features from what I've seen, but Fenders don't give you any other cool perks as you go up in price.

Great replies guys! So in a way, the sound many heard as a kid dictated to them what they seek out in future guitars, as what a guitar should sound like is what their favorite people played. Likewise the people they see and the looks they associate with that sound further reinforce that stigma.

PRSh has said numerous times that the thing that hurts his ability to sell guitars the most is that he can't get Jimi Hendrix or Stevie Ray Vaughan to play his guitars. Everyone 'knows' Jimmy Page got his sound with a Les Paul, so they need a Les Paul to sound like him (or Ace Frehley or Joe Perry or...ad infinitum).

There's nothing quite like cranking up a 100-watt amp through a 4x12 and letting rip. But Frank Zappa recorded a lot with a Pignose amp. And there are guys who get the greatest and most interesting tones with modeling amps.

The key phrase, which I believe was uttered very early on in this thread, is 'personal preference'. Your sound is mostly you. The 'best' guitar for you is the one that helps you get as close to your ideal tone as you can.

basically Squier and other knockoffs get you the same thing at a cheaper price
Not likely mate, Squier's suck in a serious fashion, the MIM ones are slightly better but they aren't up to SE standard. I love my Strat and my LP and would never sell them but I also love my three PRSi.

@LSchefmann: :) Yes, we share FRIENDSHIP.

I´m not a person who disses PRS in any form!

EJiardfvzCu5KvVudq_hqINDpM1_qmg2ZrY9mrP4Io7LgylzsQzC34w7y5xytg_2MjhEEgGDvm1kI7TgqzjzIMaYN69KELqXgELibl8L8jGmd71HjQUdd2YBb9pJDVG1EFxO04CAC-_wL3Py_a6lhXiQLQ7ESTLa8OAMLa2xMeaU0Bl9vP_R1mkI37rBBr5vjptT-Ho_MTGQYWWNhwrZZxn_H4O5DIJKq6ajiC8YIdUkibxnp6shQjjH6w3A2DCdNJGsapc778FbCUvHI9EhkhxF9Oh9JCayRIlEQJhFJKAzHjmqSGwwnfcHaoaSF1OzaxFcNUlhx4aalKPHEOiE5HvKf1z54zbwqs6q-F0_xnoFMpJDe6uQL5BnRAfdpQwUTEvkSWcmQm7Nn86r4fnDP4c-EO13BL9DVwVJgdgA_y1JkLUNphb_DVDJI39G0QggIM8THp2HINsdvFvciY7xIss5WvZp_Ct7vcS5Mxjkqpe8a4dq-As9vi-R2q9TrI7BsF_H9l-lz2l-97vcWy6ypruJDoCAVAqARh1wMQ5l3M8B0N-DUWCpA9vWWz33P6ec0mSty37VYVasO7WaL7XxCcK03ezRJOq6=w515-h947-no

I can´t speak for PRS performance on the US market, but I have an opinion towards the market in my own country, and the standing of PRS. And the employee of those particular acknowledged that by his experience.

To highlight PRS as a premium brand I would proceed other ways of marketing/sales - to stress that PRS shouldn´t be compared to the long time of life of other brands. But I´ll not behave like this idea is a public good. I´ve some experience in business development (analysis and deduction). If there is interest on part of PRS, just call me ;-)

Two core points: Selling PRS goods to distributors or traders is not selling goods to the customer (The GC I´ve been at a few weeks ago has nice wall decoration by PRS. The customers in general grab F´s and G´s instruments - and buy - but not PRS.)
And don´t forget the responsibility of the trader´s personnel (But if the customer has a very strong believe that he only sound right with a guitar produced by the "big two", maybe it´s difficult to change his intent. If he wants to purchase f. e. a Strat, you recommend a PRS, he might be buying no guitar then. And as a trader you didn´t make a deal...)

PRS (ans all other brands) suffer from the accident of late birth, because our idols' sounds are connected with those above named brands or models.
The prominent PRS players gain a certain amount of request, but Mark Tremonti and David Grissom (to use continuesly produced signature models) are not Mr. Page or Mr. Hendrix.
And focusing on the pricing, you get a US-made custom shop The Edge (U2) signature for more the half the price than a core MT Sig.
And we have to accept that customers could acquire full US-made-Strats, Teles or Paulas for relatively little money. SE Standard, SE are licenced, S2 (even the CE24) is US-made with cheaper SE hardware.
A core PRS starts on the price level of a custom shop/masterbuilt/CC and so on.
Playing PRS is more exclusive.

Last edited:
I first picked up guitar because of Kurt Cobain, and he played a Strat with a Super Distortion in the bridge... so, I played a Strat with a Super Distortion in the bridge. We didn't have internet back then, so I thought Cantrell played a Strat and Thayil played an SG, and people seemed to want Strats and SGs. Les Pauls were old mans guitars. I remember making fun of my friend when he bought one. I don't think the LP would be what it is today it weren't for Slash.

Conversely, I originally refused to play PRS because of Nu-Metal and pop-punk. While Gibson was giving signature guitars to the likes of Slash and Iommi PRS was giving them to one-hit-wonders. I'm pretty sure Billy Martin's guitar was available longer than Good Charlotte had air play. Overall, it was an image I didn't want to be associated with.

I actually gained a lot of respect for PRS when I heard he refused to give Chad Kroeger a signature guitar. That's probably what put PRS back on my radar. At that point I saw a PRS so infrequently that I thought PRS may have gone out of business.

To date, absolutely none of my heroes play a PRS. I picked one up on a whim, specifically to see what all the hype was about. I've played through Dual Rectos for a long time now and they always had a reputation for clarity with that amp. 10 years ago I wouldn't have been caught dead with a PRS plugged into a Mesa... but times change... and sometimes we grow up a bit in the process.

Why can't we all just play what we like and let everyone else play what they like? I've got PRS guitars and Fender guitars right now and I love all of them! I've played Gibsons and Fenders that were great and I've had PRSi that I just couldn't get along with. Why does it always have to be one or the other? The best part of being a consumer is being able to have the best of all worlds.

Les Pauls were old mans guitars. I remember making fun of my friend when he bought one. I don't think the LP would be what it is today it weren't for Slash.

Crazy how times change... I owned a glut of LP's in the late 80's and early 90's, I think the most I ever paid for an LP Custom was $800! Man, do I sorta wish I'd held on to 'em to sell to suckers now.

I get that strats and teles are good and cool guitars, but basically Squier and other knockoffs get you the same thing at a cheaper price, so excluding those, I don't think $500-1000 Fenders nearly stack up to PRS, Ibanez or ESP guitars. PRS offers you the solid, reliable, comfortable, benchmark, pick me up and play aspect and Ibanez and ESP offer a whole bunch of bells and whistles (and better pickups) than a Fender does.

Going to Gibson and Les Paul, I'm much less familiar with those, and they do have features like coil taps and stuff, but they easily run S2 prices into core prices and I don't see the cool factor, but I might be missing it here. Epiphone has great products as well, but that's not really the same tier as PRS prices and I've heard they have some quality issues.

Even so, Fender is the dominant #1 and I really don't see any reason why people are so estatic over them? I think it's just the power of icons and symbols and brand recognition that keep sales so high for them.

Thoughts?
Even though I have an awesome PRS 408, my Strat remains my go-to guitar.
It was the iconic status that saw me get my first Stratocster, at age 15, in the late 1970s. But it is the sound, playability, versatility, comfort, and of course the look that draws me back always. First off, its shape refuses to get old; it looks as awesome now as ever. Contrast that with the Flying V or Explorer, which look like 1960. And its sound is classic, full, beautiful in the hands of a good player. It can jangle, it can bebop, it can blues, it can get heavy, it can stun. Much as I dig the 408 (I played it exclusively at the last session), the Strat will likely always be where I'm most at home.

I think the characteristic sound of a single-cutaway guitar is easily explainable. The extra contact between body & neck on the non-cutaway side adds some punch in the lower midrange.

Othan PRS I own a suhr pro s4 which sounds ALIVE ... very resonant and great single coils. I did try a great sounding Les Paul (the higher end customs have a really great woody and growly bite to them) but it was a true historic that cost £6500. Plus, I might miss having a trem and I find single cutaway limits playing higher up. Oh, and potential tuning issues. Maybe one day, but I'm not 100% convinced.

Agree Slash made Les Paul's cool.

PRS build quality is the best - gigging machine with no worries.

Last edited:
Back