Is it my eye sight?

Blue is notorious for fading, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Part of me hopes the blue component of my Violet guitar fades. I think it will turn to more of a burgundy color.

While I may be wrong, water-based analine dyes tend to more colorfast than solvent-based analine dyes. I have a 1992 blue flame maple Ibanez S540 that I have owned since new. It is an HSS S-Series guitar. I would have to pull the humbucker out to check, but it does not appear to have faded much at all.

While I may be wrong, water-based analine dyes tend to more colorfast than solvent-based analine dyes. I have a 1992 blue flame maple Ibanez S540 that I have owned since new. It is an HSS S-Series guitar. I would have to pull the humbucker out to check, but it does not appear to have faded much at all.

Those S series guitars are great!! I had a similar S540 in the past, with flamed front and back and I now have an S2120x from 2002 in sunburst that is always on the wall and it hasn't faded as well.

I think Alnus means this one! It's 100% Royal Blue and has never been refinished but was on display at Rumble Seat Music for many years hence the extreme fade. It's quite an early guitar - I think the later dyes are much more colour fast so your guitar probably won't fade quite as much as this one, which is now effectively a mucky Vintage Yellow.

DSC00212.jpg

IMG4245.jpg
aha that is so cool!

In addition to my very faded Royal Blue guitar pictured earlier in the thread I've had a couple of early Vintage Yellow PRS Customs that likewise had faded, albeit not as badly. I also had an early PRS Custom in Cherry Sunburst that hadn't faded at all. So I think it's colour / dye specific how various PRS stains react to UV.

Last edited:
Look under the pickup rings. If you see a big difference in the color, then you know you’re onto something...

A 513 has none obviously. No real chance to discover none not-faded out areas, apart from under the vibrato I pre-asume.

My 513 is from 2011, stored everytime and every hour out of its case, hanging in a stand in our living room nearby a glass door to the garden. I didn't observe any loose of 3D effect in the grain.

My 513 is from 2011, stored everytime and every hour out of its case, hanging in a stand in our living room nearby a glass door to the garden. I didn't observe any loose of 3D effect in the grain.
I think the blue dye is more susceptible to fading than the black gold on your 513 and without direct sunlight.

This has given me an idea. I always thought my Custom 24 SE colour a bit garish (it wasn't chosen for its looks). I'll leave it out of its case starting tomorrow.

You bought once a jeans in appearance of a 513, my dear friend, @g.wizz. You shouldn't washed it with stones so often.
Honestly: The blue coat seemed to be very sensitive to UV rays. Other than that: This doesn't affect sound. And your guitar is still very mouth watering. And likewise we human change our outlook with the seasons of life so it does a guitar, one more, one less.

Back