Is it my eye sight?

g.wizz

Nabs
Or maybe I'm getting older or maybe both?
After nearly 5 years I'd say the stain on my 513 FBJ AP has faded almost 40-50%. The top was so 3D I used to marvel at the peaks and valleys in the grain at any angle, but now the 3D effect is much less although I much prefer this faded color better. I know the color makes the figuring of the top pop more but I didn't expect that much :(

After nearly 5 years I'd say the stain on my 513 FBJ AP has faded almost 40-50%. The top was so 3D I used to marvel at the peaks and valleys in the grain at any angle, but now the 3D effect is much less although I much prefer this faded color better. I know the color makes the figuring of the top pop more but I didn't expect that much :(
It will not be your eyes!

Collywobbles has a blue guitar, where the stain can only be seen under the pickup surrounds and where it’s been protected from the light!

So be prepared to own a natural top one day!

Any before and after pics? Were you keeping it in its case?

@ 11Top,I'm having problem posting from Imgur on my phone now but I'll post later on.
I never kept it in the case just hanging on the wall with no direct sunlight. I have no problem that the top is fading but it seems the top is losing much of the 3D effect. My Avatar pic is the moment I opened the case at work and you can see how dark it is for a FBJ color.

The only guitar i have that hasn't changed colour at all is also the cheapest. It is a cheap chinese bass with an awful thick old poly finish. It seems pretty normal to me that guitar finishes fade over the years, especially if they are out of the case. They don't need direct sunlight either

Photosensitive colors don’t need to be in direct light. Indirect light will eventually fade the dyes. Incandescent, and even fluorescent light, will fade the dyes. Only complete darkness will prevent most of the fading.

However (this according to my artist brother), some dyes are more than photosensitive. They are also absorbed by the wood to a degree.

Maple will also yellow over time when it’s exposed to light, and that changes the look of the guitar.

We used high grade maple on the edging of my studio furniture built in the 90s. It started out nearly white, and it’s now a color closer to oak, with a definite yellowed color. I thought it might be yellowing of the finish, but repairing a couple of nicks when I moved, I sanded the finish, and it turned out to be the maple underneath.

There isn’t any fading yet on my predominantly blue NorthernLights guitar after two years; I keep it cased when not in use. However, I do expect the color to change over time.

Dyes that employ inorganic chemicals tend to fade less. Also browns and ambers show less fading for some reason. Maybe we just notice the fading less.

Then again, I don’t look the same as I used to, either. :(

On the contrary, I love that it's fading, my initial query is about the 3D effect that is fading more also.

The 3D look is an optical illusion caused by the finish. You’ll notice flat finishes in the same colors look less 3D, even though the wood certainly isn’t any different. As the finish changes, the illusion changes.

Last edited:
It will not be your eyes!

Collywobbles has a blue guitar, where the stain can only be seen under the pickup surrounds and where it’s been protected from the light!

So be prepared to own a natural top one day!

I think Alnus means this one - it looks mucky Vintage Yellow but it's 100% Royal Blue and has never been refinished. It was on display at Rumble Seat Music for many years hence the extreme fade. It's an early guitar from '85 - I think the later dyes are much more colour fast so your guitar probably won't fade quite as much as this one.

DSC00212.jpg

IMG4245.jpg

Last edited:
Blue is notorious for fading, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Part of me hopes the blue component of my Violet guitar fades. I think it will turn to more of a burgundy color.
I almost bought a violet core model that had old pictures on reverb... i asked for updated pictures and it was bright pink!

I think Alnus means this one! It's 100% Royal Blue and has never been refinished but was on display at Rumble Seat Music for many years hence the extreme fade. It's quite an early guitar - I think the later dyes are much more colour fast so your guitar probably won't fade quite as much as this one, which is now effectively a mucky Vintage Yellow.

DSC00212.jpg

IMG4245.jpg
I do remember this nekid beauty :)

I think Alnus means this one! It's 100% Royal Blue and has never been refinished but was on display at Rumble Seat Music for many years hence the extreme fade. It's quite an early guitar - I think the later dyes are much more colour fast so your guitar probably won't fade quite as much as this one, which is now effectively a mucky Vintage Yellow.

DSC00212.jpg

IMG4245.jpg

Still extremely yummy to me!

Back