Is it me or did the price of S2s go up 300 bucks????

I'm pretty sure that I would not be able to re-purchase my own current collection if I had to do it at today's prices.
With the rate of "prices going up" lately, I'm thinking that I should start accepting only Gold coins for anything I offer up for sale.
(I wonder if my employer would agree to pay me a specific number of gold coins per year instead of a USD cash amount.)
Prices are CRAZY!

I actually had the same thought a few days ago, made me very thankful I bought them when I did!

So it really just begs the question, is the S2 line really that much better than the SE line? At this point I would vote no.. They share the same electronics, and most likely similar build methods. I bought a Custom 24 SE 2021 model for about half of what a similar S2 costs, and its a gem.

I struggled with S2 "value" before the hike. Now they really are in the used core ballpark and clearly they aren't double the guitar of a SE. The S2 line had just started to win me over too...

Aye Matey, I do love me some Dubloons but ever since watching the Leathal Weapon movies, I think I'd go with the Krugerrands as they are a lot more recognizable and their value a lot easier to determine.

Joss Ackland plays a great baddie in that film!

I struggled with S2 "value" before the hike. Now they really are in the used core ballpark and clearly they aren't double the guitar of a SE. The S2 line had just started to win me over too...
Used Cores in decent shape are currently above new CE prices. I have been actively shopping them recently and anything under $2k is either well worn, modified, or damaged. $2.5k you have to be lucky and fast. Remember that used gear prices began rising substantially last year and have only recently plateaued at a new level.

Used Cores in decent shape are currently above new CE prices. I have been actively shopping them recently and anything under $2k is either well worn, modified, or damaged. $2.5k you have to be lucky and fast. Remember that used gear prices began rising substantially last year and have only recently plateaued at a new level.
Yeah, the market is totally screwy right now.

If you can wait, it might bet the best option.

Haha, wait? - look at who I'm talking to here!

Not so much for me. I find PLENTY of used core less than a new CE (looks like they went up too?) that aren't beat to crap. Some are asking for more but then they are often selling for considerably less than asking. I agree with the poster above the market is screwy right now but with patience and diligence deals are out there. If you go the Amazon way of 2 days you are going to pay.

Heck, I just passed on a Cu24 (don't need another cu24) in condition 8/9 for less than $2k.That said, I would take a well loved core over an S2 everyday of the week without hesitation.

So it really just begs the question, is the S2 line really that much better than the SE line? At this point I would vote no.. They share the same electronics, and most likely similar build methods. I bought a Custom 24 SE 2021 model for about half of what a similar S2 costs, and its a gem.
I'm glad you like your SE and strongly believe that any buyer should get what they think gives them the best value and happiness return on their investment. And yes, the S2 line shares the same electronics as the SE, but I have to question your comment "...and most likely similar build methods." The phrases most likely and similar build methods wouldn't inspire a whole lot of confidence in me as a buyer, and for sure would never be used in anyone's ad campaign. Your SE is a gem. My S2 is a gem. Lots of pics on this site or Cores and Private Stocks whose owners will say their guitars are gems. Are those guitars worth what those owners paid? Bottom line in this SE vs S2 debate is buy whatever makes you feel great as long as it doesn't drive you into bankruptcy or piss off the wife or partner. Many hours of happy playing to you. :)

I'll stand by the foundations of my opinions on this topic: (1) Buy what you think gives you the most bang for your buck. (2) Don't let your purchases drive you into the poor house. Got the means to buy a 10-top Core or a PS? Go for it and be grateful. Need to be more frugal? Buy the SE (or in my case the S2) and be grateful. But, which ever way you go, don't think your way is the only way. PRS gives us lots of choices to own quality instruments.

I'll stand by the foundations of my opinions on this topic: (1) Buy what you think gives you the most bang for your buck. (2) Don't let your purchases drive you into the poor house. Got the means to buy a 10-top Core or a PS? Go for it and be grateful. Need to be more frugal? Buy the SE (or in my case the S2) and be grateful. But, which ever way you go, don't think your way is the only way. PRS gives us lots of choices to own quality instruments.

I agree 110%. They are all PRS and excellent guitars regardless of what cork sniffers try to say.

I've never experienced "sticker shock" in my life as I have this week. I may never buy another PRS ever again as the normal street price is now far above the price I made a pact with myself yeas ago that I would NEVER pay more than $X000.00 for a guitar, I don't care how good it is. So now I"m telling myself to cherish the collection I currently have and just be happy with what I've got.

I've never experienced "sticker shock" in my life as I have this week. I may never buy another PRS ever again as the normal street price is now far above the price I made a pact with myself yeas ago that I would NEVER pay more than $X000.00 for a guitar, I don't care how good it is. So now I"m telling myself to cherish the collection I currently have and just be happy with what I've got.
There you go man, an attitude of gratitude for what you have.

There you go man, an attitude of gratitude for what you have.

Either that or start believing for greater financial abundance! hahahaha Just kidding, I DO have a stunning, small collection of guitars, any one of which is the kind of guitar that someone out there in this world could only dream of ever owning. So I should definitely utilize this opportunity to be thankful for what I've got and quit "taking them for granted".

This. And then I start lurking and find _____(fill in the blank) and my wallet starts pulsing. :(

i would expect they would be. no surprise here.

And of course 5 hours later…..….

+1

The last guitar I bought was only a few days ago and I picked up an 18 year old Gibson Les Paul Studio model guitar in pristine condition with some very interesting aftermarket pickups by trading in my EBMM 4 string bass. (You may remember seeing that PRS 5 string bass I bought this year so I am not lacking in the bass department.) It's just a classic workhorse, it feels like a Les Paul because it is not a modern "chambered" version and it was very affordable because (among other reasons) there wasn't any plastic binding on it to drive up the price. So that's it. If I find a smoking bargain somewhere, fine, I'll buy a guitar. But I'm not going to become one of those lowballer pr!cks that CL & Reverb are flush with.
Gibson_2002-LesPaulStudioDr.jpg

Last edited:
Back