Is it me or did the price of S2s go up 300 bucks????

Monthly-Inflation-8-2021.png

OK, I see energy and used cars are WAAAY up, but what about the all-important guitar market?

I just picked up an antique white McCarty S2 594 Thinline new from a reputable dealer for $1316 last week. Yesterday from the same dealer I just picked up a new Martin 000-15M Streetmaster for $1189, so there are still some deals out there. In fact, it seems there are deals made more easily from dealers than from highballers selling their overpriced used stuff.

So it really just begs the question, is the S2 line really that much better than the SE line? At this point I would vote no.. They share the same electronics, and most likely similar build methods. I bought a Custom 24 SE 2021 model for about half of what a similar S2 costs, and its a gem.

So it really just begs the question, is the S2 line really that much better than the SE line? At this point I would vote no.. They share the same electronics, and most likely similar build methods. I bought a Custom 24 SE 2021 model for about half of what a similar S2 costs, and its a gem.
The question is, do you want your guitar made for PRS or by PRS? I know it seems a minor difference but to some it has meaning.

SE pricing is up as well, so it's not like they increased the gap in between substantially.

Last edited:
The question is, do you want your guitar made for PRS or by PRS? I know it seems a minor difference but to some it has meaning.

SE pricing is up as well, so it's not like they increased the gap in between substantially.

Well, I'm a big SE fan, and I will in all likelihood be buying a second SE Hollowbody ...

But my only Amurrican Made PRS experience , my S2 McCarty Thinline ...just seems to have both tangible and intangible advantages over my SE CU 24's ...

So much so, that I now want (despite its chubby neck) an S2 594 DC ;)

The neck carve on the Thinline is unavailable in any of the SE's and just feels to be finished better.

Not to the point that the SE's clearly feel less desirable, the S2 just feels better

Diminishing Returns by way of value between the 2 lines ?

Well a new S2 is gonna MAP at $1,800 while the SE Hollowbody at $1600 . The HB is in fact a different animal ... but the S2 to me still represents a "value" piece compared to its market competition (Brand G)

I really need to buy both ! And I'd rather have the 2 of them, opposed to one $4.000. guitar ...;)

Diminishing Returns by way of value between the 2 lines ?
That's probably true. I'm pretty sure the S2 will hold value better than the SE over time because as mentioned, it was made *by PRS and not *for PRS. And while I'm not happy with the prices increases across the board, that's inflation and not PRS. I think they have their three tiers priced accordingly relative to each other and what you get from them.

I wouldn’t call this increase inflation. The price went up 20%, that’s not inflation. Inflation has been running under two percent forever. The recent “inflation” is due to one or two sectors, mostly automobiles.

20% is more like a demand adjustment. PRS production has been pegged for a while now. If demand is very high you can raise prices, decrease demand, and still be as (or more) profitable.

I think that the effect on the used market in the long run might be negligible. All these guitars are going somewhere, and when those recent entrants figure out they’re not in it for the long haul, there might be a gut on the used market.

I wouldn’t call this increase inflation. The price went up 20%, that’s not inflation. Inflation has been running under two percent forever. The recent “inflation” is due to one or two sectors, mostly automobiles.

20% is more like a demand adjustment. PRS production has been pegged for a while now. If demand is very high you can raise prices, decrease demand, and still be as (or more) profitable.

I think that the effect on the used market in the long run might be negligible. All these guitars are going somewhere, and when those recent entrants figure out they’re not in it for the long haul, there might be a gut on the used market.
I wouldn't call it inflation, either. I think you're call of demand, backlog, and increasing difficulty in the supply chain. That's what is effecting prices on just about everything right now. Perfect example is TP. We were paying $15.99 for whatever mega pack of Cottenelle that we use. After they started stocking it again, that price was over $22. Now it's back to where it was pre-pandemic.

I'm pretty sure that I would not be able to re-purchase my own current collection if I had to do it at today's prices.
With the rate of "prices going up" lately, I'm thinking that I should start accepting only Gold coins for anything I offer up for sale.
(I wonder if my employer would agree to pay me a specific number of gold coins per year instead of a USD cash amount.)
Prices are CRAZY!

Have you looked at a car dealership lot recently?

Almost zero new cars, a smattering of used, and they park them sideways to make it look less sparse.

Supply chains are f'd. Shipping containers are super expensive. Costs get passed on.

I'm pretty sure that I would not be able to re-purchase my own current collection if I had to do it at today's prices.
With the rate of "prices going up" lately, I'm thinking that I should start accepting only Gold coins for anything I offer up for sale.
(I wonder if my employer would agree to pay me a specific number of gold coins per year instead of a USD cash amount.)
Prices are CRAZY!

Dubloons or Krugerrand?

Back