Is it me or did the price of S2s go up 300 bucks????

Russ73

I swear they were close to a grand just a few weeks ago for the satins, now they appear to be closer to 1400 bucks online??

The price increased 40%, since I bought my 2017. 35% of that was last week. First, inflation hit the used market. That's when I decided to sell some of my guitars (for more than their new price), and buy a few (5) new guitars.

To be fair, the S2 Satins were crazy underpriced for the last few years! Which was great for us! It was getting to the point that comparable SE’s cost almost as much. The S2 is a superior instrument where it counts. My local shop just got a few new 24’s in and are still at the old price… I’m tempted.

yes, apparently they have. All the while decreasing in quality (yes fine, blame it on covid). Believe me, I've been through a few brand new S2s recently. I finally went back to the SE line and said screw it (which also went up in price but much less so). However, I've seen some pretty horrendous stuff come from all the majors lately, all of which also hiked prices.

"Discussion" of prices (for whatever reason" is not allowed, so I won't discuss price, but I will say that prices will not "settle down", these increases are "baked in". :eek:

It took a minute, but my favorite purveyor of GuitarDope (Sweetwater) warned of these increases months ago ... (A notice that YouTuber Phil McKnight called a Public Service Announcement) ...

My local Sam Ash guy was oblivious to them (and thus lost a sale). Now I look at the result and think... Yeah ... I got a pretty good deal, on a hot guitar ! :cool:

I bought a couple of S2 Custom 22's (2020 models made in 2021), and the quality and playability was perfect. I could argue that I've seen prettier tops, but that's not what S2's are know for.

I prefer less blingy tops, an I reckon your two here are on the money.

Glad I got my 594 when I did, because when the price increase hits AUS it's likely to be even bigger.

Seems that way. I bought a Gretsch for my semi-hollow needs instead of the Vela I wanted. Kind of reminds me of when FMIC raised the prices on USA Select Jackson's....I looked in a different direction.

Seems that way. I bought a Gretsch for my semi-hollow needs instead of the Vela I wanted. Kind of reminds me of when FMIC raised the prices on USA Select Jackson's....I looked in a different direction.

As much as I love my Vela.. I highly doubt I would have taken a chance on it at an increased price and absolutely would have looked elsewhere for a semi-hollow (I already was). Which would be a damn shame as it's a great guitar.

Last edited:
I prefer less blingy tops, an I reckon your two here are on the money.

Glad I got my 594 when I did, because when the price increase hits AUS it's likely to be even bigger.
Man, me too. I haven't checked current pricing, but I paid $1,549 in July. If I had to pay $200 more today, I'd still buy it, but I wouldn't like doing it.

:cool:You’re still gonna want that Vela..
You’re still gonna want that Vela..
You’re still gonna want that Vela..:cool:

True, but I'm not bummed because I love Gretsch just as much as PRS. A nice feeling Gretsch with Filtertrons does what I wanted the Vela for. I tend to view the Vela as PRS' "Gretsch" anyway, lol.

Back