Is it crazy that my SE feels so much like a Core?

PRSfanboy46

Don't lick doorknobs and stay in school
So a few months back I went to a local PRS dealer and wanted to play some American PRS guitars and I played a Silver Sky and that neck was just way too chunky and baseball bat feeling for me. I then played a 35th anniversary Custom 24 Core model and it felt so much like how my SE Custom 24 feels. A bit lighter but it was a weird feeling. That's what scares me about buying a Core, because I don't want to spend that much money on something that feels so similar to an SE and at 3 times the price. A CE felt like home for me personally, because a satin bolt on neck semi hollow guitar just gives me a sense of grounding. I want to eventually buy a Core but I think if I save for a CE then a core I would appreciate it more and understand the attention to detail and dedication for guitars PRS has.

That’s the point. Making the best instrument at the price point.

You don’t know how good you have it. When I was your age, my equivalent was a Japanese strat with tons of hum that snapped strings weekly at the bridge. The whole industry has come so far.
I mean I think right now is the best time to become a guitarist because theirs so much innovation and new things coming out

That’s the point. Making the best instrument at the price point.

You don’t know how good you have it. When I was your age, my equivalent was a Japanese strat with tons of hum that snapped strings weekly at the bridge. The whole industry has come so far.

When I was his age they wouldn't even LET you play the expensive guitars at the store. I remember asking about a new Les Paul, not even to play it, just asking a question about it, and the salesman said "can you afford that guitar?" He knew I was 16, and couldn't afford the guitar and I wasn't even asking to play it. But rather than answer my question, he asked me if I could afford it. At the time, I "understood" the attitude because he told me they had to protect the high end guitars for those that could afford them, and that someone buying a high end guitar didn't want one that had been played by 100 teenagers before he bought it.

That was strike 1 for him. Even though my dad bought my first good guitar from him after that, he later had strike 2 and 3 and cost himself some money over the years.

When I was his age they wouldn't even LET you play the expensive guitars at the store. I remember asking about a new Les Paul, not even to play it, just asking a question about it, and the salesman said "can you afford that guitar?" He knew I was 16, and couldn't afford the guitar and I wasn't even asking to play it. But rather than answer my question, he asked me if I could afford it. At the time, I "understood" the attitude because he told me they had to protect the high end guitars for those that could afford them, and that someone buying a high end guitar didn't want one that had been played by 100 teenagers before he bought it.

That was strike 1 for him. Even though my dad bought my first good guitar from him after that, he later had strike 2 and 3 and cost himself some money over the years.
You Pretty Woman-d him. :p:D

I've been programmed too. I was in Chicago Music Exchange the other day, and asked a guy if I could play a few core McCartys and he looked at me and kind of shook his head:

"You don't need to ask me dude, if you can reach it just grab it and play it".

Oh, nice.

I've been programmed too. I was in Chicago Music Exchange the other day, and asked a guy if I could play a few core McCartys and he looked at me and kind of shook his head:

Oh, nice.
IIRC, GC still makes you beg.

I've gotten to play a 1961 and 1963 sunburst strat and they were both 22,500 each, 45,000 for the set and they just told me to put hand sanitizer on before I grabbed it!! That store also had a pre factory PRS Santana going for a measly 67,500!

Oh, nice.
This is why I love privately owned little stores. The little stores in my area have some great pieces. Being in Maryland really helps. The biggest well known medium sized mom and pop music store is Chuck Levins in DC and Paul was a repairman for them for a while! They have PRS's out the butt! The next one I think about is Bills Music in Catonsville (near Baltimore) and they have a fairly large store but they keep all their nice stuff behind glass which is humidity controlled and everything. I was on a guitar safari looking for an SE as my next guitar and I asked the guy "Hey can I try a PRS?" and he was giddy to let me try and he asked "What do you want a core, a McCarty? S2?" I said I don't feel responsible enough for even an SE! Now my main store where I go to and bought my PRS from is a little shop called Bay Tunes guitars in Edgewater. They are a signature dealer and have had a private stock run just for their store (if you have the calendar for this year look for the chessie fade acoustic and Vela) and Jeff (shoutout to Jeff the store owner) Helped me pick my SE and I couldn't have had a better guitar. And when I had to get some demons chased out of it (repairs for binding and electronics and chips) he sent it to PRS and PTC did an amazing job!

I've gotten to play a 1961 and 1963 sunburst strat and they were both 22,500 each, 45,000 for the set and they just told me to put hand sanitizer on before I grabbed it!! That store also had a pre factory PRS Santana going for a measly 67,500!
right or wrong, good or bad, trust me... in my area any store from Cincinnati to Dayton, you would have never touched those guitars years ago. Guitar Center (right or wrong, good or bad) was the FIRST one around here to just leave expensive guitars out for anyone to try, and trust me, they've paid for it. 2 years ago they got 3 EBMM Majesty guitars in at the same time. The coolest of the bunch was the purple one with all blacked out hardware. But it had a big chip at the top of the headstock where someone banged it on something before it had been in the store for 7 days. That guitar hung there for almost a year while the other two were gone in a few weeks. I asked why they didn't just fix it... I saw a $3900 Taylor with a big mark/dent on the top where someone banged it into something.

And the smaller the store, the less likely they were to let you play high end stuff without knowing you could afford it. I mean, I'm guessing if you go into a Ferrari dealer now, you probably still have to take your dad or they won't let you go for a test drive when you're 16. I'm still surprised the store would let any one of any age play a $20, $40 or $60K guitar, without knowing they could afford it and were actually interested. "Just want to see what it's like" probably wouldn't fly a lot of places with those guitars.

My 2¢. Don't get too caught up in the feeling. There are times when something "feels" good, but is much too expensive. Realize that you are still a young man, with plenty of time to choose what you wish to do with your life. Much like you, I was in the same place many years ago, and had to be selective, because there were many pitfalls I could have experienced, but older folks were able to direct me around these before something happened.

There were times I listened to their advice, and times I rejected it, much to my chagrin. Let's just say, don't let anyone sell you short, you'll not like it for the immediate future. You can choose.

A CE 22 or CE 24 is where you live, comfort-wise. If that's what your intuition tells you, go with it. Just realize that if you get caught up enjoying playing so much, you may lose focus of what's important to you.

One thing that has struck me lately is how much the SEs look like the core models of yesteryear: black headstock overlay with gold signature, birds on the fretboard, etc. PRSfanboy, I'd say that if you're happy with your SE and have reservations now about the Core, wait. Buy the Core either when you've got a surplus of cash and can easily afford it, or when you find the one that keeps you awake at night for a couple of weeks!

I once had the exact opposite of this happen to me. As a punk kid in high school (early 80's) with no money I went into a store and started drooling over a PRS not even daring to ask if I could play it. The salesman came over and asked if I wanted to play it. When I stammered out a yes, he took it off the wall, plugged it in to an amp and left me to play it. He had to know there was no way I could afford it. That day I went from "I think I'd like to have one of those guitars like Santana plays" to "one day I will own a PRS." Many years later...

I once had the exact opposite of this happen to me. As a punk kid in high school (early 80's) with no money I went into a store and started drooling over a PRS not even daring to ask if I could play it. The salesman came over and asked if I wanted to play it. When I stammered out a yes, he took it off the wall, plugged it in to an amp and left me to play it. He had to know there was no way I could afford it. That day I went from "I think I'd like to have one of those guitars like Santana plays" to "one day I will own a PRS." Many years later...
Ahhh! The old planting-the-seed ruse!:D

PRS didn’t exist when I was in high school, but I played in the music store owner’s band so I could play anything in the store.

Back