Is Artist Package worth it for a P22?

ExpatGirl

Hi Guys,
Like many of us, I dream of owning a really nice PRS. I've got my eye on a P22 and would love to get it with an Artist Package. The problem is that I can't swap the pickups around on the P22. That's part of the appeal; being able to get just the guitar I want.

So my question is this; are the differences mostly aesthetic if I get the Artist Package for a P22 or will there be noticeable differences in the sound of the instrument? I know that with better wood you get better sound but I don't really know how big the affect is. This is brand new territory for me.

Thanks in advance. :)

The basic Artist Package will give you an ebony neck which will make it slightly brighter. The Artist top will not affect the sound. If you go with a RW or maple neck though ... I suggest you consider the RW neck with ebony board.

You also might consider one of the Experience P22s ...

Having had quite a few Artist package guitars over the years, including an SC58 with it, I'd say what you get is not necessarily better - any PRS is a wonderful instrument - you simply get different.

More choices in fingerboards, necks, and pickups. A somewhat snazzier top. Nicer case. Etc.

I don't think there's a qualitative or tone dropoff going from Artist to standard production at all. But it's nice to have more choices.

+1. If I did not already own a P22 I would have purchased one in this run.
+ 2

They look like more bang for the buck.

"Stock" P22's are pretty sweet just as they are.... I sort of split the difference, there were 10 tops and IRW necks. I decided to get one or the other and ended up with a 10 top that plays and sounds so nice that I've hardly picked anything else I have up since I got it! And caused me to put 2 guitars up for sale so I can buy another PRS.

Last edited:
Having had quite a few Artist package guitars over the years, including an SC58 with it, I'd say what you get is not necessarily better - any PRS is a wonderful instrument - you simply get different.
I don't think there's a qualitative or tone dropoff going from Artist to standard production at all. But it's nice to have more choices.

In my case this is not what I have found. I don't know if it is the luck of the draw or that the woods selected for their looks also have better tone, but my Cu24AP has the best tone of all my PRSi. They are hard to truely compare because they all have different pups, and I happen to like the 57/808's in mu CuRo22the best, but the clarity and personality of my Cu24AP is just better all around. If it wasn't for the dead spot in the 14th fret it would be perfect.

Anyone else a fan of the new finish on PRS maple necks? I was not a big fan of the old nitro finish, but I find this new finish allows the natural resonance of the wood to come through and the finish is significantly easier to play, especially in warm weather when sweat is a factor. Not to mention the maple necks on the new Artist Packages are simply eye popping.

Anyone else a fan of the new finish on PRS maple necks? I was not a big fan of the old nitro finish, but I find this new finish allows the natural resonance of the wood to come through and the finish is significantly easier to play, especially in warm weather when sweat is a factor. Not to mention the maple necks on the new Artist Packages are simply eye popping.

I didn't put hands on any of the new necks. Dang!

Do you know if that finish is available on Mahogany necks through Private Stock?

The new maple necks and finish are PERFECT! :)

img0510fk.jpg

Last edited:
The new necks are great! If I didn't already have my PS HB/Piezo, I would have picked up an Experience P22 with the maple neck...

Jamie

The Exp P22 necks flet ultra smooth, I liked them a lot.

I LOVE flame maple necks. There was one of the EXPERIENCE Guitars in something like "Frostbite Blue Fade"... That made me think about something I NEVER do... go into debt to buy a guitar. It was spectacular and the flame maple neck was just jaw dropping....

I can't figure out that "multi- quote" thing so I'll just answer your questions.

Hans- Mahogany is a much softer wood and may not do well with this type of barely there finish. But I can ask the PS crew to verify whether or not this is a finish option.

Rango- I don't want to talk you out of buying a new guitar because we'd certainly love to earn your business. However, if you have an existing guitar with the old nitro finish on the neck, we can strip it and apply the new finish through the PTC. We just recently did this on an old CE and it was a remarkable change for the better.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;25018 said:
I didn't put hands on any of the new necks. Dang!

Do you know if that finish is available on Mahogany necks through Private Stock?

I can't figure out that "multi- quote" thing so I'll just answer your questions.

Hans- Mahogany is a much softer wood and may not do well with this type of barely there finish. But I can ask the PS crew to verify whether or not this is a finish option.

Rango- I don't want to talk you out of buying a new guitar because we'd certainly love to earn your business. However, if you have an existing guitar with the old nitro finish on the neck, we can strip it and apply the new finish through the PTC. We just recently did this on an old CE and it was a remarkable change for the better.

I had my Singlecut standard in for PTC refin with some sort of very smooth satin finish. Even if it's not the exact new "barely there" finish on the neck - I would think something that's satin, and super smooth would be available, no?

Love that finish!

In my case this is not what I have found. I don't know if it is the luck of the draw or that the woods selected for their looks also have better tone, but my Cu24AP has the best tone of all my PRSi. They are hard to truely compare because they all have different pups, and I happen to like the 57/808's in mu CuRo22the best, but the clarity and personality of my Cu24AP is just better all around. If it wasn't for the dead spot in the 14th fret it would be perfect.

Honestly, as you say, it's hard to know for sure. Every guitar seems to have a personality of its own. I've never had a PRS I didn't love, so it's difficult for me to compare.

Maybe you can ping a mod!

It's pretty simple, although not quite obvious. What you do is click on the multi-quote thing for each post you want to quote in a message, then on Reply With Quote for any of them, and it pops up all the quotes in the quick reply window, ready for you to type.

:top::408:

thanks
Maybe you can ping a mod!

It's pretty simple, although not quite obvious. What you do is click on the multi-quote thing for each post you want to quote in a message, then on Reply With Quote for any of them, and it pops up all the quotes in the quick reply window, ready for you to type.

Back